Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st proto tach / temp / volts (Read 178 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
1st proto tach / temp / volts
08/11/12 at 09:54:15

I mentioned a while back that I was going to design an electronic indicator panel for the Savage, and I have my 1st prototype ready to demonstrate.   For those of you who grok technical jargon...  I am using an Atmel Mega8 microcontroller.   This 8 bit controller has 8k of flash memory, 1k of RAM, 3 timers, 6 channels of 10 bit A to D conversion, and other nice features.   I wrote the program in assembly language and current project code is only about 1k binary.  My algorithm is fully interrupt event driven; i.e., all events are asynchronous and independent.  I am posting a picture and a short movie clip showing real time circuit operation.   I'm sorry about the movie quality, but the original movie turned out to be a 175meg AVI, and I had to strip it down to 10meg to make it a reasonable download, however, in doing so, it lost a good amount of video quality.   The temperature sensor I decided to use is a DS18B20 from Dallas Semiconductor.   This amazing device looks like a standard TO92 case 3 lead transistor, but is in fact, a tiny computer with its own memory and CPU and a single bi-directional data pin.   The 3 leads are +5V, ground, with a middle lead that implements a 1 wire network client, slaved to the Mega8 master - pretty danged amazing!   I designed the circuit so the temperature sensor is optional, and if omitted only 4 connections are required: power, ground, and the two wire rotor pulse signal.   The optional temperature sensor requires an additional 3 wires and can be placed anywhere you want to read temps on the bike.   Interestingly, since the sensor uses a shared single bi-directional wire, more sensors can be added and queried in sequence.  The only restriction is available space on the display.   In the finished product I plan to layout the circuit on a PC board and piggyback it onto the back of the LCD display board.   Then it's just a matter of packaging it into a small plastic box (any packaging designers out there?).  Of course, questions, suggestions, comments, criticisms, are welcomed.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: 1st proto tach / temp / volts
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 09:58:15

A who?? A how ?? A what ?? And a why ?? Roll Eyes Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 10:05:31

Pretty slick. Are you going to make your own PCB or have them made? A guy on overclock.net made a pretty slick fan-control panel and had Silver Circuits make his PCB's for pretty cheap.

*edit* This is the post of his PCB's:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1248141/custom-fan-controller-build-now-with-backl...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/11/12 at 10:12:25

Pretty nifty, been thinking about doing something like this myself, but also trying to figure out how to include a speedo and odometer as well.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 08/11/12 at 10:57:42

Very nifty!

Just throwing stuff out...

If you could replicate the "connector" such as a pass-throughto the stock speedo cluster, then it should provide you with power and an easy method for users to hook it in to the savage system.

If you did so and since you would then be privey to all the data the stock cluster had  yo could:
replicate the neutral indicator
replicate the left and right turn indicators - also could "tune" for LED?

In this way, some one could replace the speedo and use your package to replicate all the missing cluster info. ( IE they could replace the tank ...lose the stock speedo but gain all other info back.

Sorry but it aint finished till I get a gas gauge!!! LOL

Other sensor ideas
vaccumn - this is the "economy" sensor
MAF- gawd would only know why
ignition ON idiot light  -- YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
clock
USB power out

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #5 - 08/11/12 at 11:12:23

This is awesome! Is it just something you felt like building, or are you thinking of selling these once you get it dialed in?

Either way, great job.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 08/12/12 at 09:12:58

Pine wrote on 08/11/12 at 10:57:42:
Very nifty!

Just throwing stuff out...

If you could replicate the "connector" such as a pass-throughto the stock speedo cluster, then it should provide you with power and an easy method for users to hook it in to the savage system.

If you did so and since you would then be privey to all the data the stock cluster had  yo could:
replicate the neutral indicator
replicate the left and right turn indicators - also could "tune" for LED?

In this way, some one could replace the speedo and use your package to replicate all the missing cluster info. ( IE they could replace the tank ...lose the stock speedo but gain all other info back.

Sorry but it aint finished till I get a gas gauge!!! LOL

Other sensor ideas
vaccumn - this is the "economy" sensor
MAF- gawd would only know why
ignition ON idiot light  -- YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
clock
USB power out

Thanks for your suggestions Pine.  I did consider some of these and other features that COULD be implemented, but the primary goals for the project are KISS and no mechanical mods to the bike.   I wanted a plug-n-play unit that would be the least problematic or intrusive to the bike, and that anyone could install.  In doing so, I thought it would have the broadest appeal.  Modding the speedo case or cable would provide extra features, but would be too intrusive for most.   I did consider a clock, and clocks are reasonably cheap and easy (i.e., Maxim 1307, for instance), but there are a couple of problems...   A) clocks require either a battery or continuous power from the 12V system, and B) they require setting, which means buttons for hour & minutes.

One feature I thought of was a security system using a single button.  Since I already have the rotor pulse signal, I could effectively disable it at startup, preventing the ignitor from firing.  This condition would persist until a unique button sequence was entered.   So for instance, the display might initially say "Suzuki Savage", and then wait for the a button sequence to be entered.  The sequence would be simple, perhaps 3 or 4 button pushes, but would consist of short (< 1 sec) and long (> 1sec) pushes. Example: puuuush-push-push-puuuush.  Once the sequence is entered (and you have x retries), the rotor signal is re-enabled, the display returned to normal, and the bike is permitted to start.  This feature would only add a single button to the unit (and the software written).   Note that electrically, the rotor pulse is a simple floating signal from the sensor coil and not referenced to 12V or ground.

I also considered, at least briefly, designing in a true cruise control.  In this case, when you hit "cruise", I would latch in the current rotor pulse count and attempt to keep it constant by altering the throttle using a servo motor attached via short cable to the carb.   In other words, in parallel to the regular hand throttle cable.  Just like in a car, I would disable the servo motor using either the brake light signal, or by hitting cruise button again.  Of course, this feature would violate my no mechanical modding rule, so I threw it out.   The only reason I even considered this feature is because my hands are VERY subject to handlebar vibration, thus it would be personally helpful.

CalisOsin wrote on 08/11/12 at 11:12:23:
This is awesome! Is it just something you felt like building, or are you thinking of selling these once you get it dialed in?
Either way, great job.

Hi Caslis, I have thought about selling the unit either as a finished product or kit form (soldering required), but there would have to be enough demand to order the materials (otherwise, it will just be one unit for myself - LOL).   I haven't calculated an exact bill of materials, nor have I decided on an external packaging (housing) design, but a rough guess is the unit could be offered somewhere in the range of $30 .. $40.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/12/12 at 09:45:27

Cool, count me in if it's in budget.

Volts is good.  Only thing I would want is oil pressure and temp.  
If I'm hot, go faster.  If the bike is hot, park it and get a beer.
Speed limits would certainly alter my perception of when a bike is hot.   Cool

I think I'd place it on top of the tree, between the head nut and bar.

WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #8 - 08/12/12 at 10:18:17

Well, if this thread is about finding out if there is interest, count me in as well.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 08/12/12 at 10:24:10

I see what your saying about the no modding part,  but the speedo would be pretty simple as you can already get bolts that have the magnet in them that will replace one of the brake rotor bolts, and then use a magnetic sensor for your speed input.

I also agree on the oil pressure/temp as well.  That would be a very nice addition.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 08/12/12 at 18:31:03

rfw2003 wrote on 08/12/12 at 10:24:10:
I see what your saying about the no modding part,  but the speedo would be pretty simple as you can already get bolts that have the magnet in them that will replace one of the brake rotor bolts, and then use a magnetic sensor for your speed input.

I also agree on the oil pressure/temp as well.  That would be a very nice addition.

R.F.

Yep, yep, yep, very tempting to throw the "kitchen sink" in here as there is so many other cool features I could add (and this MPU has plenty of horsepower left over to do them).   The problem is, each one comes at a price, and I'm not necessarily talking about $$$.   For instance, there is reliability, complexity, cost, real estate (space), heat dissipation  etc., to consider.  And that's only the internal aspects; i.e., you can add a single feature and lose half your audience, if it becomes too complicated or expensive.  In the industry we call it "feature creep" or "creeping elegance" - LOL.   In the worst cases, you can actually cast your project into a state of "improbability" - trust me, seen it!   This is why every good engineering project establishes a strict set of "requirements" at the very beginning.   When you've met them, you're done designing.  In engineering, you get paid by what you accomplished, not what could have been.  Cool

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 08/12/12 at 18:39:04

360k+ wrote on 08/12/12 at 18:31:03:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/12/12 at 10:24:10:

R.F.

Yep, yep, yep, very tempting to throw the "kitchen sink" in here as there is so many other cool features I could add (and this MPU has plenty of horsepower left over to do them).   The problem is, each one comes at a price, and I'm not necessarily talking about $$$.   For instance, there is reliability, complexity, cost, real estate (space), heat dissipation  etc., to consider.  And that's only the internal aspects; i.e., you can add a single feature and lose half your audience, if it becomes too complicated or expensive.  In the industry we call it "feature creep" or "creeping elegance" - LOL.   In the worst cases, you can actually cast your project into a state of "improbability" - trust me, seen it!   This is why every good engineering project establishes a strict set of "requirements" at the very beginning.   When you've met them, you're done designing.  In engineering, you get paid by what you accomplished, not what could have been.  Cool

Oh I know that all to well.  I dabble in electronics for hobby myself but I was in the Telecom side of General Dynamics for years working on stuff for the Internet backbones, Military Base networking and all other sorts of stuff.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/05/14 at 20:21:08

I wonder if this project was completed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com