Send Topic Print
Need starter motor!!! (Read 165 times)
pantinosm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need starter motor!!!
08/11/12 at 04:58:12

Hi from Cyprus guys. I need your urgent help. I am an owner of a 92 year savage, and im looking for a motor. In Cyprus is too difficult to find, and in the web im not sure if the 92 model fits in every years model. Can you please help me out?

IMG_1597.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need starter motor!!!
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 13:34:04

Pretty rare to need a starter motor. Who says yours is no good & why?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 01:41:15

Hello out there!

As fas as I know, there are two different types of starter motors. That one mostly is used is the kind with the pole on the cylindric part. The other one has the pole for the cable on the mounting brace.
Each one designed for the LS650/S40 will fit and work.

Sometimes it happens, that the carbon brushes inside are worn out. That's bad, because they will make costs like a good used starter motor and a bad work fiddling them out and in, including soldering work with a strong soldering iron.

Sometimes it happens, too, that the dust of the carbon brushes together with the grease inside the motor will block the brushes into their guides. So they cannot be pressed correctly against the commutator by their springs. Just take the starter off, do some markings on the end caps and the cylindric parts, take off that two long bolts ans carefully take off that end cap with the two mounting holes. Take a bottle of brake cleaner, rinse well, let it dry well and try again.

If the carbon brushes are really worn out, have a look for another starter engine. They should be about 70-90€ in europe, excl. shipping.
And do a little prayer it's a good one. Replacing the brushes is very fiddly with good chances to break some plastic insulators.

You may choose your way Wink

But first, tell us how you found out the starter itself has gone.
A bad Battery or bad contacts on her and on the ground cable to the engine may confuse you as well!

Regards,
Lou (Germany)

IP Logged
pantinosm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/12/12 at 03:18:53

Well actually, i took the motor to a mechanic, and he told me that the motor was destroyed.
The strange thing is that he "threw" it away as he said!!!
Can someone tell me if 1992 motor is different than other year model's??

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 03:34:46

I have starters; contact me and we will work out getting one to you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/12/12 at 07:39:31

pantinosm wrote on 08/12/12 at 03:18:53:
Well actually, i took the motor to a mechanic, and he told me that the motor was destroyed.

First, Id want it back,, 2nd, Id Never GO back..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 08/12/12 at 07:55:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 07:39:31:

+1- always always get the old parts back. I recently had the pads and rotors replaced on my '08 Scion Xb. The mechanic said the rotors were too corroded to turn. I took them with me, then to a shop, where I had them turned successfully. The reason mechanics don't want to turn rotors is that they have to run them to a machine shop, have them turned, pick them up, and they loose the profit on the new rotors.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
pantinosm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 09:04:53

He said he threw it away. But again you didn't answer me if 1992 model fits all Smiley

IP Logged
pantinosm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 09:20:09

LANCER, i can't contact you.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 20:33:01

Artteacher, sometimes mechanics don't turn rotors because they are beyond the safe limits to fight heat and prevent warping. But I agree, some folks are just part changers, whether for profit or just laziness.

This is a good time to ask. Has anybody here ever had a starter rebuilt? Guys around here rebuild starters and alternators all the time. I just got a 140 amp alternator for a Mazda B3000 for $97 with a year guarantee. I upgraded from the 95 amp alt at a shop about 20 miles away. I remember going there with my dad about 40 yrs ago. Family business. If the idiot mechanic hadn't thrown pantinosm's away maybe it could be rebuilt?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 08/13/12 at 20:50:10

pantinosm wrote on 08/13/12 at 09:04:53:
He said he threw it away. But again you didn't answer me if 1992 model fits all Smiley

1986 to 1993 with no problems. Newer than that has 5 speed transmission and I'm not sure if the starter gears are different.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 08/13/12 at 20:54:07

arteacher wrote on 08/12/12 at 07:55:53:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/12 at 07:39:31:

+1- always always get the old parts back. I recently had the pads and rotors replaced on my '08 Scion Xb. The mechanic said the rotors were too corroded to turn. I took them with me, then to a shop, where I had them turned successfully. The reason mechanics don't want to turn rotors is that they have to run them to a machine shop, have them turned, pick them up, and they loose the profit on the new rotors.

Art I've also found that many newer cars and trucks use a much thinner rotor. That's why there are so many cars running warped rotors...they get hot under severe braking and warp.  The thinner rotors are cheaper to make but do not have enough material to turn.

The last brake job I did was my 2003 Chevy Silverado and new rotors were only $30 each for the rear!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 08/13/12 at 21:37:51

Always use a torque wrench on cars to tighten the lug nuts. Most cars require around 100 ft lbs or a little more. Even my Harbor Freight 1/2" electric wrench claims around 250 ft lbs.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
pantinosm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/13/12 at 22:26:52

Thank you ZAR for the answer. LANCER can you help me out?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/14/12 at 04:04:06

pantinosm wrote on 08/13/12 at 22:26:52:
Thank you ZAR for the answer. LANCER can you help me out?

yes;  email me @ savage.s40@gmail.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need starter motor!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.