Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES (Read 735 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES
Reply #45 - 02/23/13 at 13:35:58

I checked my records. The wheels were 2.15 by 18 part number 34-1902 from Mike’s XS. Spokes were 19-0060 stainless. 36 hole designed for the rear wheel with a drum brake.

The rear spoked up OK but because of the smaller hub diameter on the front wheel (disc brake instead of drum), the angle on the holes for the front was too acute. I went to Buchanan’s spoke shop and they predrilled the spoke holes to a more perpendicular (to the rim) angle and made up some spokes to fit. I think I was the first one to have 18-inch front spokes made for the Savage.  If you want to order spokes from them you can use my name for reference and tell them to make the same as mine.

I used Duro HF308 tires for the dirt tracker look, 3.50 front, 4.00 for rear. They are a copy of the old Pirelli Universals. Have no idea how they will work. Don’t expect to do much canyon racing.

Read thru this whole thread and you will get the story,

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES
Reply #46 - 02/23/13 at 14:34:44

Jiggyfly wrote on 02/23/13 at 08:02:15:
Have you seen a Ryca on 17"s?

I went with the matching 18" rims because I was specifically going for a vintage look and feel.
Using a 17" rim shouldn't be any harder, as long as you find one that will work. Buchannan's can make custom spokes to fit any length for about the same cost as the ones on the RYCA site.
In retrospect; I learned a LOT about wheel lacing; and it's really rather complex. There are a lot of factors to consider. I spent months chasing down the proper spokes, paid $200 for a rim on Ebay that I can't use afterall. I also now have to disassemble the rear wheel, and re-lace it with the proper rim and spokes because it got screwed up the first time.
I'm glad I learned a lot about the whole process, and I sure did grin frm ear to ear like a howler monkey when the front wheel finally came together, but... In some ways, I wish I had spent the money and simply sent my hub and rim out to Buchannan's and had them do the work and just send the wheel back to me. John's lucky; he lives right there where they are.

Good luck!!   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 17:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.