Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES (Read 735 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES
Reply #30 - 08/18/12 at 08:10:45

Just a quick update.
I called Buchannan's and explained my issue with the spokes they had sent me. Even though I received them almost 3 months ago, they were happy to allow me to return half of them in exchange for 18 new ones with longer necks. I'm very grateful to them for that; they were great to work with.
Not sure how long it wil take to get the new spokes in, but hopefully by the end of next week. New rim might arrive today, if not then early next week; then maybe I can build a wheel!!

Thanks John for all of your help and info on this; I was able to very clearly describe the issue to them and give them exact measurements based on the info you posted. I couldn't have done it without ya!!

Cheers!  Wink

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/18/12 at 13:59:33

That's great they have such good customer service. If you could, when you get the spokes, make some measurements so we all can know what the specs are for a good set of spokes.

I'm looking forward to your and Dave’s success in lacing the front wheels. Maybe the spoke people will make a standard kit of parts for this application.

Right now, I have a garage full of parts. Front wheel off, waiting to be relaced, can't put tire on yet. Rear wheel off, had to cut the tire off. Have to disassemble it, paint the rim then respoke and put new tire on. Went to shorten the forks and found out the seals are bad. Had to put the original pull back bars on to provide anchor points for tie down straps. Extra gas tank all cut up needs some welding.  Lots of fun, hope I can remember where everything goes.

I'm going to weigh the parts I took off and see how much flab is on the stock bike. Chain guard, fenders, big belt pulley, heavy steel rims, etc. Must be at least 50 pounds that won’t be returning.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/24/12 at 21:07:06

SUCCESS!

I took my rim and hub to Buchanan's yesterday. Gave them a couple of the stock Suzuki spokes so they would have samples. I was afraid they would tell me that the rim I brought had the holes in the wrong place and would try to sell me a new wheel. Instead they were able to redrill the nipple hole angles on the rim to match the hub. While I waited they also cut new stainless spokes.

Today I laced up the rim. It was very easy to do, especially compared to the rear wheel where the spokes were marginally too small.

If you need spokes for your Savage from Buchanan's they should have all the info for the bends, etc. in their database. I recommend them highly.  

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/24/12 at 21:59:18

thought you were up north somewhere, buchanan's across the river from me.  you coulda said hi.

WWW   IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/24/12 at 23:28:28

You was at work, I assumed.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 08/24/12 at 23:42:36

most likely.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/31/12 at 15:25:47

AWESOME!
Glad that worked out for you.
I bought a new wheel rim on Ebay; took a guess from the pictures that the spoke holes were at a much shallower angle. I still thought I'd have to modify/re-drill it, but when I first lined it up, everything slipped together perfectly!! Got the new spokes from Buchannan's too, so now I'm ready to go, but I'm stuck...

Not sure what order to lace it up in; I started on the brake side, and loosely laced all of the spokes on, but when I turned it over, found I couldn't thread the other spokes through the other side.

I'll go play with it some more after my daughter goes to bed tonight, but if you're out there and can give me a step by step on where you started lacing and how you got all of the spokes laced in, that would be awesome!

Cheers!

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 08/31/12 at 17:13:19

Let's see if I can make this simple.

For the sake of clarity here are some definitions. Others nay have different terminology.

The right side of the rim is away from the brake. Left side is brake side.
The spokes with the shorter bend go next to the hub. I'll call these the outer spokes.
The inner spokes are the ones that cross over and lay on top of the outer spokes. They have a longer "leg" of bend so They can cross over the outer spokes on the way to to rim.

Put the rim and hub flat on the bench. Start with one outer spoke. Notice that it goes through a hole farthest away from the center of the hub. So it is not only an outer in the "towards the side of the bike" but is also on an outer hole circle diameter on the hub itself.

Install an outer spoke. It should be obvious where the spoke goes on the rim because of the angle of the nipple hole. Skip 3 holes and install the next one. On the hub you only skip one hole. There are 36 holes in the rim but only 18 holes on each side of the hub.

After you get one side done then flip the wheel over and install the outer spokes on the other side of the hub. If you twist or rotate the hub to make the spokes tight you can see where the spokes go.

The secret, if there is any is to install all the outer spokes first. Then twist the wheel hub in the direction so as to tighten the spokes. You can thread in an inner spoke and figure out where it will need to go. If you need to loosen some spokes and rotate them out of the way you can do so without getting too confused as you have all the other spokes installed for a reference. Everything repeats in a pattern of 4.

Main idea is that at the inner tube filler hole the spokes on either side angle away from the valve so you can get an air hose on the Schrader valve.

This should get you started.

John in Kalifornia

]

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/31/12 at 17:55:14

Thanks John,
I think I just need to wiggle it around some more.
I started out just as you described, and got all of the spokes on the brake side of the hub laced up really easy in about 10 minutes.
When I flipped it over to start the other side, I found that the spokes lace in going downward, and the spokes on the other side block them from being rotated into position; essentially because they have to pass through those spokes before they reach the bend in the neck of the spoke, so I can't turn them into position.
I have all of the nipples set very loose on the other side, to give me maximum wiggle room, but if there's a secret to getting the second set of spokes laced in, I'd sure love to know.
Is this where the straw method comes into play?
Maybe I need to be rotating more to wiggle them in...

We'll see... still waiting for that dumb baby to lay down and go to bed!!
Grin

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 08/31/12 at 20:38:28

I DID IT!!
I was right; it's al in the wiggle... and that last set of inside spokes is really hard until I figured out the right sequence of slide the spoke through, loosen the one to the right of it, and fold it over, then pass the new spoke through, re-attach the one I loosened, then loosen the next one over, and pass the new one past that; re-attach it, then attach the new spoke into position.... times 9...
Tomorrow I'll give it to Scott to true it up and get the tire mounted, and then on to other messes!!

I couldn't have done this without you, sir. I am deeply grateful.
Cheers!

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 08/31/12 at 23:35:02

De nada.

Look under the technical section under "No Cost Wheel Truing Stand" if you want to true the wheel yourself. You don't really need a dial indicator. You can just use your finger or anything else to find out where the wheel is the most lopsided then mark it and loosen/tighten the appropriate spokes. You find out rather quickly if you go the wrong way.

True the wheel left/right then check for radial run out. The only "secret" is to use a good close fitting spoke wrench, oh and make sure you lube the spokes. I used the stuff from Buchanan's on the front wheel. The rear spokes and nipples were lubed with "boiled linseed oil."

I thought I had the spokes tight per the "ping" test then read the paper that came with the Buchanan spokes. They said that "big twin" spokes should have 80 inch pounds of torque. I used a fish scale hooked to the spoke wrench. I cut a groove in the spoke wrench that was about 3 inches from the open end and hooked the scale to it. Then I pulled on the scale till I saw 9 pounds (10 pounds max for this instrument.) Some of the spokes needed a turn or 2 to get to the calculated (3 inches times 9 pounds) 27 inch pounds torque value. I think that the nipples were "bedding in" to the aluminum rim.

I can understand if you would rather have somebody else true the wheel. It is rather tedious but actually is not that much requiring of skill, just patience. You may have used up yours waiting for the kid to go to sleep.

John in Kalifornia

I thought

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 09/01/12 at 05:20:51

THANKS JOHN!
All things considered, I know I could true the wheel myself; that's something I've done with Bicycles before, but Scott owes me more than a few favors, so I don't have to pay him. All I need to do is sit back and watch.
He's going to be helping me with the revival of my Roadster build. This front wheel has been the albatross around my neck that has really held up the progress. I'm VERY excited to be moving forward again! By next week I should be on two wheels!!

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 02/23/13 at 03:36:55

What width wheels are you guys using?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 02/23/13 at 07:07:32

Jiggyfly wrote on 02/23/13 at 03:36:55:
What width wheels are you guys using?

Shucks; Took some digging, but I found it!
The front I think is 2.15, and 2.5 in the rear. Pretty sure that's right.

2.15 X 18" - 36 holes.

If you're looking at vintage rims, you have to be very careful about checking to see the angle that the holes are drilled at. Most of the old rims are from dirt bikes that had drum brakes; so the holes are drilled at a steeper angle. That works fine on the rear, but the front disc brake hub is much smaller, and the spokes will go into it at a straighter angle.

Honestly, when I bought the second rim for the front, I just guessed at the angles by looking at the photos on Ebay; the guy listing it had good close-up shots, and it worked out.

The rim that the guy originally used on the rear should have been laced to the front. I will be taking that off and mounting my other rim in a little bit, but I am waiting for $ to order the spokes.

That will leave me with a left over rim that is the right size and fit for the front wheel. These are not cheap, but I could sell it for $200 and ship it to you as long as you are in the continental US. If you're interested in these exact rims that is...

Just let me know!  Smiley

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 02/23/13 at 08:02:15

Thanks!
I appreciate the effort in getting me solid info!
I also appreciate the offer on the wheel!
I'll def keep it in mind, once I 100% pick a direction.

I've searched & searched & not found anyone do a Ryca build with anything other than the 18" setup. While it creates that nostalgic look, it also brings with it a nostalgic performance with the 18" tire selection being less than stellar.
Have you seen a Ryca on 17"s?

Part of me thinks that by even contemplating 17" wheels & stickier tires I'll overstep the performance envelope of the platform. But it wouldn't be the first time!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:41:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 18 INCH WHEEL CONVERSION ISSUES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.