Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing Harley Softail Nightrain muffler (Read 108 times)
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Installing Harley Softail Nightrain muffler
08/09/12 at 11:29:28

My friend happened to have one of these muffler and gave it to me. I looked at the page about installing harley mufflers and I just have a couple of questions.

Do I need the clamp? Is there a clamp already holding on my muffler already? If so cant I use that?

Do I need to rejet? Is it a must? If so what size do I need? I would rather spend 12 buck and just get the size I need instead of 50 for the ones I do not. I live in florida.

Is there anything I should know before moving on with this. My bike is my only form of transportation and I can not afford any down time.

Thanks,
Dooley

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Re: Installing Harley Softail Nightrain muffler
Reply #1 - 08/09/12 at 21:51:37

I put a Dyna on and it <mine> definately needed a Rejet.

I bumped up to a 150-155 main, did a spacer mod either half or 1/3 or 2/3 (depends on air around you) and bumped the pilot up to 52.5, however recently Ive been contemplating putting a 55 in.

A new clamp would be ideal as the stock is kinda flimsy and in my experience not well suited to creating a good seal.

I feel like a good place for you to start is with the pilot bump up to a 52.5 and spacer, relplacing the spacer with some little washers. Say, 2.

at the same time you could bump up to a 150, or a 152.5 if it exists.

I think the best way to go about this would be to change one at a time and slowly dial it in. Always after a few warm up laps.

start with the pilot, then the spacer, then the main.

then always Adjust your Idle screw.

Serowbot has a really good guide.  Grin

I'm just a newb with limited expierience on my bike. But mine runs pretty good with a 52.5, 2/3 spacer, and 155 main. again throught the dyna.

Hope this gives you a good idea. Lancers jet kit is a one stop shop for the jets and washers mentioned. Grin

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/10/12 at 08:44:35

If your Nighttrain muffler is stock, and hasn't been fooled around with or modified, I imagine that the only difference will be in how the muffler connects to the muffler hanging bracket on the Savage.
Other than that, Installation and re-jetting I imagine should be the same as with any of the DYNA mufflers. They are basically the same engine (I think...) and should function about the same....

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 08/10/12 at 18:25:27

Hey Dooley, I am one of the few who have used this muffler. The HD number on the side is HARFS1584. #65842-07 80db. Mine has two 1/4-20 screw bosses on the bottom. I ground off the front one (I think) so it would lay up close to the Suzuki bracket arm that is hooked to the frame. I used the original Suzuki clamp and about two wraps of a Dr pepper can for a gasket. If I remember, the BACK screw hole on the muffler fits the FRONT hole in the Suzuki bracket arm. It takes an American SAE 1/4-20 thread bolt. I used a couple of rubber washers to let me tighten it up and have no rattles. Also used Blue Loctite. The distance the muffler slides up on the header is perfect on mine. The bolt and the muffler clamp are all it takes to hold it on, plus the bracket arm supports it underneath. I took a pipe wrench to the bracket to turn it slightly so the bolt was straight into the hole and bracket. I gave about $20 for a 7" chrome heat shield from JC Whitney. It wasn't quite right so I rotated it to the side to cover the ugly joint and used steel twist wire to fasten it instead of the clamps that came with it. It has not moved and the wire doesn't show. I did not rejet, because this is a quiet muffler that seems similar to the OE muffler. I did turn the carb screw slightly and lost some low end. But 50 to 80 is really good, which I like.  PM if you need any help.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing Harley Softail Nightrain muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.