Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buy a Motorcycle and Double Your Money (Read 254 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Buy a Motorcycle and Double Your Money
08/09/12 at 07:49:23

Well, the title is a little misleading but I have your attention. In February I turned 62 and I decided I needed a new challenge, both mental and physical so I chose to buy and learn to ride a motorcycle. Intelligence and good judgement is a leaf that sprouts only now and then on my family tree so those that know me were not surprised. They just pat me gently on the head (helmet?) and tell me to be careful as I play in the traffic.

Anyway, it has been six months now since I bought the bike and I thought it would be intersting to add up everything I have spent so far to see what it really takes to get started. Several folks have told me I got a great deal on the bike but the math shows that was only half the expense. The list below does not include fuel so I have more than doubled the price I paid for the bike in only six months.

If I had kept the $3,000 I have spent so far, I could borrow a line from Major Kong, the B-52 pilot played by Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove, "Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

I have no doubt that there are some out there that, due to major mechanical failure or planned major upgrades and modifications have exceeded the cost of the bike by three, four, or maybe five times in the first six months of ownership. This was an an attempt just to see what I spent to get started but let's hear all the details of your "investment".

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Re: Buy a Motorcycle and Double Your Money
Reply #1 - 08/09/12 at 08:01:04

Your statements rings true, but where else would you have had such a good time. Not only that, look at all the great people you've met and all the advise,education,and enjoyment you have had and will have from the THUMPER gang.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/09/12 at 08:07:58

Yeah gramps (I'm 57, I can say that), you could have saved that $3000 and done what?  Give it to the grand kids?  
How much are the smiles and chewing wind worth?
Yep, it's an expensive hobby.  

People always telling me how much money I am saving on gas by riding a motorcycle.
OK, I ride to work each day.. and that is 50 miles a week.  Then I hop on the motorcycle and go joy riding all day saturday and sunday, which usually comes to around 400 miles or more.
Oh yea.. save money on that gas!!  Grin

It's a hobby and joy.  Ain't suppose to be free.
Need a bigger shock, buy a boat.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/09/12 at 08:40:37

dont buy a boat

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/09/12 at 09:28:55

Granted, you've spent $3,000+.  Now then, if you sold the bike and all the related equipment and subtracted that from the $3,000, what would be the net expenditure?  Further, your getting 50+ MPG per your fuely indicator, what would you have spend, covering the same number of miles, driving your regular car/truck?  I think you will find, your net out of pocket expense really isn't all that high, particularly if you factor in the pure enjoyment factor of riding your Suzuki vs. your car/truck or public transportation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/09/12 at 09:51:21

funny this came up...I was calculating the fuel I've spent since I bought my bike (I've put almost 7k on it)...I've put roughly 500 bucks in gas in it since I bought it what? 2 1/2 years ago...
anyway the bike cost me 1900, jacket was a gift installed veryslavy and new pipe and tires and flyscreen so I'm thinkin I got around 2500 total invested in the bike not including gas. As an example a few years back we bought a Isuzu Trooper as our family car...6 months in the tranny goes...that alone was 2200 bucks and it really isn't as much fun as the bike...plus it gets 15mpg and the bike averages 50-60 depending...
everything costs money but I think the bike was a bargain...I have friends w/ harleys that cost more than all my vehicles combined and they barely ride 'em...just saying I think the 650 has been one of the best purchases I ever made except when I bought a used savage for 500, put 200 into it and sold it for 1500... Cool

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/09/12 at 10:09:15

It is part of the "Cost of Living".........This is how I want to live, and this is what it costs!

Seriously.....the only way to "save" money by owning a motorcycle is to sell the car first.  The motorcycle will always be an additional expense when you factor in the real cost of ownership.  Sure it will save some wear and tear on your car, make the car last a little longer, perhaps reduce the maintenance costs of the car - but the bike brings additional expense for maintenance, taxes, tires, insurance, and the purchase price.  If you buy used at a good price, avoid the temptation to customize and bling your bike, and shop around to get good prices on the maintenance items......you can keep the cost down to a minimum.

For me.....the bike is one of the things that keeps me happy and makes it worth going to work everyday.  Sometimes I even ride the bike!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 08/09/12 at 10:18:21

If you exclude the cost of my bike (which was 4399 since I bought it new), I've spent $973 on parts and maintenance and just over $1008 on fuel since August of 2007.  Had I not had the bike and drove my truck (an 02 Ranger that gets 17 mpg), I would have spent $3659 on fuel alone.  Therefore, my bike has saved me almost $1700 and added much enjoyment in my life.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/09/12 at 10:43:13

I'm not looking at my numbers because I love my bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/09/12 at 13:28:17

thumperclone wrote on 08/09/12 at 08:40:37:
dont buy a boat

Boat is an acronym for "Bring Over Another Thousand". Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 08/09/12 at 14:35:05

A boat is described as hole in the water, surrounded by wood (or now, fiberglass) into which you throw money.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/09/12 at 14:59:44

Savage_Rob wrote on 08/09/12 at 10:43:13:
I'm not looking at my numbers because I love my bike.

I prefer not to count   Cool

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 08/09/12 at 15:03:21

Sure beats 2 grand on a TV...then cable bills, video games...yuck!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 08/09/12 at 15:08:04

Don't even want to think about money I've spent on bikes...

The Savage is on its fourth or fifth major redesign.

My oldest bike (1915) had sat underwater for 60+ years when I got it. Was running and ridable when it got stolen...

5 antique HDs and 4 antique Indians built from picked over carcasses...

I probably could have bought a small island with the money I've blown on toys over the years.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/09/12 at 15:24:26

it's cheaper than "Dressage".. Huh...