Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DONT USE CAR OIL ANYMORE!   WARNING! (Read 493 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DONT USE CAR OIL ANYMORE!   WARNING!
08/08/12 at 10:13:21

Not so good news, i called and talked to 2 people from Mobile and 2 from crane cams. The answer i got was as follows.

1. NONE of the oils available today at wallys auto zone ect will work with flat tappet cams..None it will ruin your engine if it has a flat tappet cam. This info came straight from 2 people at crane cams. The savage does not have a flat tappet cam but it has fingers that ride on the cam so it needs a higher % of zinc than new cars or bikes with roller cams. Beware things have changed!!!! Oil aint just oil anymore!!

2. The zinc in mobile 1 bike oil  20-50 is 1600ppm 10-40 1200ppm. last update was dec 2011???? This is bike oil, way lower in car oil!! Any car oil dont use it. The standards have changed what was true 1 year ago is no longer correct. Call them and ask for yourself!

3. Flat tappet cams need a min. of 1500 ppm to survive. most of the stuff out there today is 600-800 ppm. Add zinc or buy Brad Penn or other racing oil.

4. Crane cams could not recommend a min. ppm zinc content for our bikes.....but he said if using ANY over the counter car oil add extra zinc from lucas, red line or others!  They recommend Mobile 1 20-50 for bikes.

5. The lack of zink is also causing rapid wear of valve guides as well as cams and followers. He did not think much of ethanol either which brakes down the oil at the top of the cylinder and the valve guides....another story!

6. Bottom line buy oil with high zinc or zinc additive or get screwedSad

7. Modern cars and trucks use roller cams that do not need near as much zinc. The savage is not a roller cam it needs more zinc!

8. Update, old oil with the letters sg-1500 ppm or sf-1800ppm both high zddp-zinc content, after lots of searching, it seems Rotella T and Delvec DIESEL oil have 1200 ppm zinc which is enough for the savage engine.

This info came from Crane and Mobile 1 today im only the messenger. Maybe this info will change some minds and save some motors not just the ones in our bikes!!! Wink

Here is a link to give some a better idea of what is going on.
http://www.opelclub.com/ZDDP2.pdf

« Last Edit: 08/10/12 at 11:59:14 by Drifter »  
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Re: Mobile and Crane cams info, dont use car oil.
Reply #1 - 08/08/12 at 11:23:41

I was using mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 until they removed the jaso and ma from the bottles. so I switched to rotella t6.

thanx for the info

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: DONT USE CAR OIL ANYMORE!  WARNING!
Reply #2 - 08/09/12 at 05:12:43

More need to read this entire thread, times have changed Crane makes camshafts for many cars truck and bikes, they said dont use car oil there is NOT enough additives in it.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: DONT USE CAR OIL ANYMORE!   WARNING!
Reply #3 - 08/09/12 at 05:58:55

Quote:
Beware things have changed!!!! Oil aint just oil anymore!!

When they start changing the oil? Is this a recent thing?

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 08/09/12 at 06:51:46

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 08/09/12 at 05:58:55:
Quote:
Beware things have changed!!!! Oil aint just oil anymore!!

When they start changing the oil? Is this a recent thing?

Al it has slowly evolved over the past decade or two. With synthetic and synthetic blend oils, chemical additives,changes in engine technology,etc. it's changing every day. Thank the diesel industry for helping us to have a supply of oil that meets the needs of our fine machines. Old school technology rocks!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/09/12 at 09:04:15

I asked Mobile and Crane cams when things changed, both said its a trickle down effect and you can never find the exact time or date, but what they said for sure is the car oils available across the counter today have far less zinc than even 1 year ago they are contineously lowering the zinc and other additives and it does NOT meet the specks for anything other than roller cam engines.

If you can find some real old stock dino or syn that has the correct additives for flat tappet engines buy it.....make some profit selling on ebay or stash it away for future use, maybe someone on here knows the codes or letters for the good old stuff.

That means pretty much any car or truck built before the mid 90s that does not have a roller cam this oil will quickly wear the cams and guides. Very few motorcycle engines have roller cams so this oil will quickly wear cams and guides in them as well.

Once again this info came directly from crane cams and the official Mobile 1 site were i got the contact number and called them.  

Things have changed people!!  The old days of using cheap car oil or even expensive car oil in our bikes is over...... Sad

The Crane guy said they have lots of warranty problems as do other cam makers due to wipped cams and valve guides....in cars trucks and bikes! He said there is a warning in the instructions NOT to use standard oil for anything other than a roller cam.  Some fail to read or believe.... :'(

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/09/12 at 10:26:42

After all the changes they have been making to oil.......I'm probably going to stop putting car oil in my car!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/09/12 at 11:53:43

Dave wrote on 08/09/12 at 10:26:42:
After all the changes they have been making to oil.......I'm probably going to stop putting car oil in my car!

AMEN !    Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/09/12 at 12:03:29

I use T-6 in everything but my brand new under warranty Nissan -- and I feel bad every time I put SN grade synthetic car oil into it (when it gets past the 3 year warranty period T-6 goes into it as well).

T-6 you could comfortably run for a year at a time,  SN (according to Nissan) requires changing every 3,750 miles (and you wonder about it all the time as it is really some crappy weak oil).

The cat converter is always the rub with T-6, but I have been using it in cat converter yearly checked Acuras for 6 years now with no issues and I know my old acuras use/smoke some oil since  they are both past 200,000 miles now.   If I was gonna fail a cat test due to T-6, I'd have done it by now (knock on wood, twice no less).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/09/12 at 14:23:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/09/12 at 12:03:29:

The cat converter is always the rub with T-6, but I have been using it in cat converter yearly checked Acuras for 6 years now with no issues and I know my old acuras use/smoke some oil since  they are both past 200,000 miles now.   If I was gonna fail a cat test due to T-6, I'd have done it by now (knock on wood, twice no less).

Well I have wondered what the time frame was for the converter to be damaged by the ZDDP percentage.  And would I be better off replacing a damaged converter......or a worn out engine?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/09/12 at 14:33:53

The answer is a variable.   There are type 2 cats that have gone into place since my Acuras were new that are more sensitive to contamination (but are more effective) than the type 1 cats were.  

They also cost more ($400 is cheap for a type 2 cat).

I too value the engine and drive train more than the cat converter, but I have also gone through the drill where the engine light comes on and you have to replace a $150 sensor so I also get a glimmer to the other side as well.

I wish I could find a rock solid synthetic SN grade 5w30 oil that used one of the new calcium additive packages that had gotten the rep for being long lasting and just plain good on BITOG.  

Ain't any there, yet .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/09/12 at 15:01:05

It all hinges on whether the lifters or rocker arm are roller or not ??
As if all other friction points are roller or needle or ball bearing ??

In reality, in our cars, the main brgs, the rod brgs, and the cam brg, are all bushing brgs, no roller needle or ball brgs anywhere. So why don't they need that slippery stuff in it ??

And where are all these camshafts w/ all the lobes wore off, and the wore out rockers, lifters..... whatever was riding on them ??

Many years ago when chevy had a soft cam problem, it was found that a shot of STP (the racers edge) w/ each oil change, stopped any wear on the soft cams. But now all of a sudden we need a hi $ additive to do the same thing on quality hard cam and followers ??

Any of you guys tear a top end down that had been using plain ole car oil ?? Any abnormal galling on the cam or rockers, not connected to low oil pressure ??

And now a problem w/ e-10 ruining the oil, and the oil ruining the cat conv ??

Why are engines now lasting 2-300,000 miles w/o the slippery stuff in it ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/09/12 at 15:03:37

Dave, if your car or truck has a roller cam the oil out there is ok for the cams, rollers dont put near as much stress on the cam as flat tappets or finger lifters. That said i dont know how to get past the guide wear and ethanol dilution of the oil...... Shocked The crane engineer i spoke to said chemists are working on both of those problems.

Maybe oldfeller is on to something, in the meantime add zinc, cats are cheaper that engines....... Undecided

Routy, things have changed in the last few months, call crane cams or mobile and ask about the zinc and other additive changes.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 08/09/12 at 15:22:03

Once upon a time,... a long, long, time ago...
Life was simple...

You want 30wt,.. or 40wt?...
You want a wall phone, or a desk phone?...
You want Levi's, or Wrangler's?...
... a double bed, or a single bed?...
bacon, or sausage?...

Buhuhh!... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 08/09/12 at 15:54:00

Routy wrote on 08/09/12 at 15:01:05:
It all hinges on whether the lifters or rocker arm are roller or not ??
As if all other friction points are roller or needle or ball bearing ??

In reality, in our cars, the main brgs, the rod brgs, and the cam brg, are all bushing brgs, no roller needle or ball brgs anywhere. So why don't they need that slippery stuff in it ??

And where are all these camshafts w/ all the lobes wore off, and the wore out rockers, lifters..... whatever was riding on them ??

Many years ago when chevy had a soft cam problem, it was found that a shot of STP (the racers edge) w/ each oil change, stopped any wear on the soft cams. But now all of a sudden we need a hi $ additive to do the same thing on quality hard cam and followers ??

Any of you guys tear a top end down that had been using plain ole car oil ?? Any abnormal galling on the cam or rockers, not connected to low oil pressure ??

And now a problem w/ e-10 ruining the oil, and the oil ruining the cat conv ??

Why are engines now lasting 2-300,000 miles w/o the slippery stuff in it ??

The reason automotive engines are lasting longer even with the lower High Pressure additive packages is because of new tech in the engine itself. The valve train is where the highest pressure point in the engine when it comes to wear surfaces.  The addition of roller lifter or in the case of overhead cam engines roller followers has greatly lowered the wear in these areas, as has the increased lubricate filtering efficiency and capacity,  not do to revealing the pressure but because instead of rubbing over the cam it rolls over the cam.  The reason the older engines did not until recently start having issues with abnormal valve train wear is because of the high pressure additive packages.  Automotive engine oils also help with the use of friction modifiers but in the majority of the motorcycle world we cannot use the oils with this because of our wet clutch.  ZDDP works because it can stand the high pressures in those areas where the oil part breaks down.  In the case of older engines there were also higher levels of the ZDDP in the oils so that is why they kept from wearing out. Now with the new oils and the lack of a high pressure additive that is what is causing the issues in the older type engines with current oils.

Hope that makes sense and I'm sorry for the rambling

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DONT USE CAR OIL ANYMORE!   WARNING!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.