Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Things every savage newb should know... (Read 9337 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Things every savage newb should know...
Reply #15 - 11/12/15 at 21:53:26

It's a challenge. People who are in a bind and frustrated and maybe even a little scared sometimes seem to expect others to just Know what they hear and feel and see.
Help! Won't kick over!

I don't know if it cranks, won't start, or, won't crank at all.

I'll bet a dollar if I was there I could kick it over...

Help, Won't crank..

I don't know if it turns over.

Help, starter motor is not making the engine turn over.

Now I need to know about the sounds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #16 - 01/22/18 at 05:46:53

What's a Raptor petcock?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/22/18 at 06:28:05

Beggaa wrote on 01/22/18 at 05:46:53:
What's a Raptor petcock?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #18 - 02/23/18 at 15:03:10

What about the starter toque limiter upgrade for the pre 96 bikes. That might be a newb thing to know?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/30/18 at 07:11:31

What about the starter toque limiter upgrade for the pre 96 bikes. That might be a newb thing to know?

I didn't know there was an upgrade for this.

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #20 - 04/26/18 at 11:33:25

quick and may be a dumb question, guys Grin

What is the spark plug socket for this bike? None of my sp sockets fit over the plug Sad 5/8 or 16mm seems to be small, anything bigger won't clear cooling fins Shocked

Thank you

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 04/26/18 at 14:38:13

Kenny G wrote on 11/19/16 at 16:53:25:
Spark Plug Wrench

If you do not have the factory tool kit with the spark plug wrench included you will need to find an 18mm Spark Plug Wrench.

Sears has them in stock.

Kenny G

WWW   IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #22 - 04/27/18 at 09:01:51

Thank you!

tool kit had most of the wrenches missing, but found rusty screwdriver Roll Eyes Got 18mm MasterCraft spark socket at local store - $10!

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 05/18/18 at 12:01:41

Newbies have a need to read! At the top left hand side of the page  there is page numbers that look like 123... 894 -( or current it changes) clicking on one of the periods between the numbers brings up a page numbers , with all that has ever been said by members from day one, by looking and reading backward through them you will learn more about your bike than an old guy like me can remember ! Reading a few pages at a time will give you a firm grasp of what this bike is about and give you knowledge to attempt repairs without doing further damage to your bike.(knowledge is power)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/19/19 at 02:56:19

"2)  Have a fresh FULL tank of gasoline.   I know, it only makes common sense -- but you would be amazed at the people killing themselves with 1/8 tank of last summer's very stale gas and they simply can't get the bike to start .....    10% ethanol gasoline and its "age out" issues has only made this requirement more important, so drain your gas tank and refill if you think you have old or not enough gasoline in it."

I live in an area with steep hills.  And my driveway slopes.  I generally keep no less than a gallon in the tank.  I found that if the fuel gets too low it seems like it may "unport" when the ground isn't level.  I had a hard time keeping her running one time.  Luckily she ran fine with the fuel valve set to RES.  But now I keep a little more gas in the tank to help account for sloping terrain.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 10/19/19 at 08:37:08

irritatedmongo wrote on 10/19/19 at 02:56:19:
I live in an area with steep hills.  And my driveway slopes.  I generally keep no less than a gallon in the tank.  I found that if the fuel gets too low it seems like it may "unport" when the ground isn't level.  I had a hard time keeping her running one time.  Luckily she ran fine with the fuel valve set to RES.  But now I keep a little more gas in the tank to help account for sloping terrain.  

If it won't run right w/o a full tank or you need to run on RES on the last half (here's your sign) your petcock is ageing out, you need a raptor petcock.

WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/18/20 at 08:46:03

Lesson learned.. I did have my Savage in the garage the whole winter, its a tempered garage and I have a humidcer in there. In anyway, I did take it out on Easter to start it up, it take some time to remember to turn the key in the right position, take the footstand of, and put all the buttons in the right position! After that, it started as new when I have put the choke out!
In anyway, it didnt idle that well, that I was use to. And then I talked to my biker friends about it, and the asked if I drenaged my carburator over winter? No I didnt done that, next question if I put som petrol stabilition to the gas tank befor I stored my bike.. no I didnt.
In anyway, It seems that Im done all the faults as a newbie? :'(
But they altso did get my some advice, put Alkylat petrol and/or petrol stabilitation befor one put the bike to rest in the garage next year!
Okey, I have to remeber this in autum.
In any case I bout some gallons of Alkylat petrol and a bottle of STP Fuel System Cleaner and take my bike for a ride, now its idle more smothly!
At least.. it was a super duper ride to day, 10 centigrades and a lot of sun! In anyway if some think that I got the wrong ideas or wrong advice, dont hesitate to answer, becus im in love in my Savage, and I want it to be an ever lasting love! Kiss

IP Logged
1geo1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/26/20 at 16:30:43

I am new so if I get this wrong, forgive me, thanks Smiley
  That being said I found something out I almost could not believe.
I rebuilt, jetted my carb ( I figure I repaired cars for 40 years, how hard could it be ? whole different post there, but anyways ) I went ti fire her up and crank/ no start ( yes, crankshaft turning Wink ) .  
           Check spark, OK, check compression ( with a gauge ) great.
WTF, lots of thought and figured the gas does not smell bad so wth ?
     Light bulb, problems with my tractor, same gas.
  PUT THE BEST FUEL YOU CAN BUY AT THE PUMP IN.
OK, I don't mean go and buy aviation gas, and maybe I went to far with my upgrades, but I did learn a lesson.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/08/20 at 08:43:40

1geo1 wrote on 07/26/20 at 16:30:43:
             I am new so if I get this wrong, forgive me, thanks Smiley
  That being said I found something out I almost could not believe.
I rebuilt, jetted my carb ( I figure I repaired cars for 40 years, how hard could it be ? whole different post there, but anyways ) I went ti fire her up and crank/ no start ( yes, crankshaft turning Wink ) .  
           Check spark, OK, check compression ( with a gauge ) great.
WTF, lots of thought and figured the gas does not smell bad so wth ?
     Light bulb, problems with my tractor, same gas.
  PUT THE BEST FUEL YOU CAN BUY AT THE PUMP IN.
OK, I don't mean go and buy aviation gas, and maybe I went to far with my upgrades, but I did learn a lesson.

Tell us more.. (or me at last) you seems to be experianced enough to do what you did! I dont do a thing, im to old and lasy. But I read a lot on this forum, there seems to be a vacum petcock kind of thing altso?

Sooo, Im just thinkering.. new petrol is almoste E10, it have a shelftime about some weeks/months (I think?), that could be a problem. Another problem on northern latitudes is if one store the bike for several months.. whit E10 fuel in the tank and carburator, it gonna evaporate in the carburator and leave som slime there.. mayby some aluminium corrotion to that?
In any case, my bike started up on spring the first pusch on the button after I rememeberd to get all buttons in the right place, choke out and the side stand to its up positions.
In any case I got a blue/yellow exhauste system.. it seems to me as a to lean mixture.. some dirt/slime in the carburator?
And top of this, im crying about that Suzuki dont gonna produce S40 anymore!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 08/25/20 at 14:15:37

Something often overlooked will be soon be missing.   Shocked

The tail end of the savage vibrates like hell, low frequency, large displacement.   Cool

License plates are made of crap and will crack and fall off if not reinforced.
sometime license plate trim is enough, but usually those are crap too.
can't go wrong with a backup plate.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 21:09:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Things every savage newb should know...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.