New Grips are slipping (Read 93 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
New Grips are slipping
08/07/12 at 13:14:49

So I got some ISO grip knock-off from ebay and they have been working great so far.

The clutch side has always slid around a little bit if you really tried, but never enough to cause any problems. The throttle side came glued to a new throttle tube and I never had a problem with it slipping until last week. I was sitting at a stop light and I rolled the throttle forward, closing it all the way, and rolled it a little bit past the stopping point. This must have broke the glue loose, because now that grip slips and slides all over the place without much effort.  Sad

What would you guys recommend to use as glue to hold the grips on the bar on the clutch side and on the throttle tube on the other side?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Re: New Grips are slipping
Reply #1 - 08/07/12 at 13:25:51

I remember my dad always using hair spray.  If I recall correctly, Aqua-Net was preferable.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/07/12 at 14:07:15

Yup.  You can buy grip adhesive but hairspray works just fine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 08/07/12 at 21:23:28

I ended up using hair gel since we were out of hair spray took two days but they are on solid now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/08/12 at 00:14:10

Ive been satisfied with Aqua-Net since I was just 11 years old.,Not that it helped me do anything, actually, but when my step mother was getting ready to go to town, she shot some in her eye.. & BOY did she whine,,& Ive liked that stuff ever since.

She, being one of my most favorite people on Earth,, coff,, coff,, was taking a nap at the farm , my Grandparents place,, Id been helping with
irrigating. My hand was so small, the only way I could make the tube siphon was wear a brown cotton glove & use a sponge, so, the glove was wet & sandy. I saw her there, sleeping, & thot that laying that glove on her face would be a great idea,,so, I did it & headed for the door.. & that old gal just dang near caught me,, but she was barefooted & once I busted thru the screen door & made it to the dirt, she was done,,

One of lifes little victories,, scared the HELL outta that witch,, she thot a rapist done had her,, hell,, none would,,witch..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/08/12 at 08:25:39

For grips that are mostly rubber based.....spraying Break Cleaner into the inside of the grip to clean them, then shaking out the extra and installing them with some cleaner left on to lubricate them, then an overnight dry has allowed them to stay stuck.  I think the break cleaner slightly softens the rubber and then they glue themselves to the bars.

When the above method doesn't work I just use the grip glue that you can buy at the motorcycle shops.

I bought a set of silicone sticky/gummy grips once that were very soft, and I could not get them to stay stuck to the bars no matter what I tried (grip glue, RTV silicone, Weather Strip adhesive, tire patch glue, GOOP).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:56:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Grips are slipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.