Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage engine? (Read 407 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage engine?
08/07/12 at 10:44:56

This is a simple, easy to understand question.

I suspect the answer might not be so easy, so I thought I would separate the question out cleanly and put it to you guys as a separate item.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage eng
Reply #1 - 08/07/12 at 12:12:49

Smiley

Massive silence .....   don't let the barbed wire and all them shell holes skeer you any --- go ahead,  chip your $0.02 on into the hat.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/07/12 at 12:37:57

Collective,.. Derr... Huh...

... but I suppose it depends on how you ride...
The more you whip it,.. the more need for protection...

Did that come out dirty?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 08/07/12 at 12:40:14

OK, I'll bite. I suppose it depends on whether or not the engine is highly modded, and how it's ridden.  Now, out of curiosity, where did we come up with the original 1200 figure in the first place? Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/07/12 at 14:45:35

Fair question -- answer is kinda subjective (as is the need for the 1,000 ppm question at the head of the thread)

==================

Back in the days of old, when the Kings ruled the land ....

.... actually, back in 1980-90's oil was 10w40 and it was rated SF-SG-SH during the decades without a lot of change in the grade structure other than to add more detergency and more long life anti-wear chemistry.

Oil had 1,400 to 1,600 ppm of ZDDP commonly and flat tappets were the vast norm in engine/cam/tappet technology, not the rare exception as it is today.   There was no rule saying you HAD to put in that much, but if you didn't your oil wouldn't work so everybody did ....

Then came CAFE and catalytic converters and the API SJ standard.   ZDDP got a cap of "no more than 1,000 ppm of ZDDP" with the SJ standard.

SM dropped it to 800 ppm

SN dropped it to 600 ppm

..... and Savage engines started dying from the ticky knocky syndrome.   Faster and faster, more and more.

Meanwhile, back in the Kingdom, the heavy duty side of things was changing too.

The Heavy Duty Engine Oils started out at 1,600 ppm like the best general car oils had, then they dropped to 1,400 with CI and then dropped to the current CJ standard of 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.

Three months ago, I would have told you that 1,200 ppm was a good ZDDP amount as all HDEOs had at least that much and MOST of the expensive motorcycle oils had a lot more, but none of them had less than 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.   And it would have been true.

Right now, every new VOA I see on the new SF/SG/SJ motorcycle oils are coming in right around 1,000 ppm of ZDDP.   I do not know what rules drove this change, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE LOCALLY AVAILABLE JASO MOTORCYCLE OILS HAS REFORMULATED / REBOTTLED ITSELF IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS

....  I am still hoping to see higher numbers from somebody, but so far 1,100 is the highest seen.   Lucas is the lowest, at 800 ppm, and it claims to be JASO motorcycle oil too.

So, you now understand where the current 1,200 ppm ZDDP SuzukiSavage standard came from, and how the 1,000 ppm ZDDP that you can currently get out of a motorcycle oil shows up in the topic question up in the thread header  ....  

.....  and why we are having this discussion.    If we only need 1,000 then we are golden.   If we need more, we need to use HDEOs exclusively until we can find some bike oil that has what we need.  

Or else be like Boule and Dave, go get yourself a bottle of ZDDP booster and start using it.

And the bike oil people still aren't saying boo about what they just did. They used to be willing to tell you what was in their "new and improved" formulations mainly because it really was new and improved.

Now we are getting SF/SG/SJ obsolete API standards loophole-style run-arounds instead of facts.

==============

Have cat converters started showing up in bikes big time?   Will the same change that looks to kill off the carb equipped bikes in 2013 usher in a wave of catalytic converted equipped motorcycles ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 08/07/12 at 15:11:33

I think the new JASO MB designation may be for the cat equipped bikes, not sure.  How long do you think It will be before the new diesel emissions will force even tighter oil standards?  They have had cat now for a while, low sulfur fuel, and now scrubbers!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/07/12 at 15:27:32

Catalytic converters have indeed made the big time in motorcycles. I believe you will find every recent fuel-injected motorcycle has a cat. Even Kawasaki's carbureted 250 Ninja, redesigned in 2008, has a cat. As I understand it, the European Union's emission standards for motorcycles is even stricter than ours, and cats are the only way to meet them. I was looking at a new Enfield Bullet, and the oxygen sensor is clearly visible in the exhaust pipe. I didn't read the literature to see if it has a cat, but I expect it does.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/07/12 at 16:48:45

Yet,.. the one year they tested my bike in '06... for emissions, they couldn't get a reading...
After sitting idling for 5 or 10 minutes, and socking the entire muffler, they finally got one... a very low one...
... and my bike had a Dyna with a 150 main at the time...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/07/12 at 17:50:33

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/12 at 16:48:45:
Yet,.. the one year they tested my bike in '06... for emissions, they couldn't get a reading...
After sitting idling for 5 or 10 minutes, and socking the entire muffler, they finally got one... a very low one...
... and my bike had a Dyna with a 150 main at the time...
Wink...

I sure hope it wasn't too warm there at that time or had a fan blowing on the motor, because I would have told them to go and overheat and ruin their own d@mn motor!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/07/12 at 18:34:16

Logically, if I were a bike oil manufacturer and a new standard was coming out in the distance I'd want to lead that change far enough out to make sure all my old standard spec'd warehouse stock was totally used up before the deadline day.

If I didn't do this, I'd be getting cases & cases of old stock returned to me by Wally or by Advanced or by Autozone as "unsaleable".

======================

So, we got an issue coming.   Before, it was laziness if you didn't buy the right spec'd oil.   And some of us were lazy.

Now it is getting harder to buy the right spec'd oil period at all.

Soon, our recommended list will be a short list of a couple of HDEO oils and we will list a dino based ZDDP booster (likely Lucas).     ZDDP booster for synthetic oils would likely be this mail order bride.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 08/07/12 at 20:41:59

Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage engine to do what? Go 80,000 miles in 1-mile trips, at 10,000 RPM? Probably not. Would the ZDDP requirement be different for synthetic vs. dino oil?  Probably.                                            

I am not even sure what a flat tappet looks like, I guess it is the end of the adjustment bolt where it taps on the valve stem?  Seems like if there was a problem with too high a pressure, those parts would eventually round off or dish out or whatever, creating more contact area and a lower pressure not so demanding of high ZDDP.  Sure there'd be loud ticking, but you should be able to take the slack out at the adjuster. I realize when the parts are no longer flat it is difficult to get a reading with a flat feeler guage. I had an old BMW that would not take a reading.. had to adjust the valves by wiggling, clicking and feel. But it worked.

Just thinking out loud.  I haven't seen pics of tappet/valve damage, though there are plenty of threads about savages that clatter for one reason or another. Is the 'flat tappet' disadvantage the only thing about the savage engine that would make it require a higher ZDDP level?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 08/07/12 at 20:49:36

Boule’tard wrote on 08/07/12 at 20:41:59:
Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage engine to do what? Go 80,000 miles in 1-mile trips, at 10,000 RPM? Probably not. Would the ZDDP requirement be different for synthetic vs. dino oil?  Probably.                                            

I am not even sure what a flat tappet looks like, I guess it is the end of the adjustment bolt where it taps on the valve stem?  Seems like if there was a problem with too high a pressure, those parts would eventually round off or dish out or whatever, creating more contact area and a lower pressure not so demanding of high ZDDP.  Sure there'd be loud ticking, but you should be able to take the slack out at the adjuster. I realize when the parts are no longer flat it is difficult to get a reading with a flat feeler guage. I had an old BMW that would not take a reading.. had to adjust the valves by wiggling, clicking and feel. But it worked.

Just thinking out loud.  I haven't seen pics of tappet/valve damage, though there are plenty of threads about savages that clatter for one reason or another. Is the 'flat tappet' disadvantage the only thing about the savage engine that would make it require a higher ZDDP level?

In the Savage's engine what would be considered the flat tappet part, is the paddle end of the rocker arm that is on the cam lobes. In flat tappet automotive engines they are just a chuck of cylindrical metal riding the cam under the pushrods.
R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 08/07/12 at 20:49:49

Boule’tard wrote on 08/07/12 at 20:41:59:

I think he's actually talking about the cam followers. Nowadays they put rollers on them. On the Savage it's just cam lobes grinding on the valve actuator arms producing friction.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/07/12 at 21:22:28

Here you go Boule, these are the little puppers  ......

...... which are rubbed and scrubbed upon by the cam lobes ....  which lobes are left complete with the heat treat oxide coating to make sure they have lots of nasty sharp oxide crystals to "do wear" with .....

..... and milder forms of this disease are caused by low ZDDP acting out over time.  We call it the "clicky tappy" disease because that is what it sounds like.

These particular ugly eat ups were caused by low oil pressure, just to make sure we are totally clear about the examples shown.   Your ZDDP only examples would be smoother looking and not dished nearly as much, but the idea is the same.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 08/07/12 at 21:32:10

Ah thanks guys, I got it.

So as those things wear into little arcs from the cam rubbing on them, is the flatness a diminishing problem?  Never as good as rollers of course, but it still seems to me that they'd eventually settle into a stable configuration, same as when I thought the problem was at the other end of the rocker arm  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:19:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is 1,000 ppm of ZDDP enough for the Savage engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.