Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
She starts, stays revved for a few.... (Read 239 times)
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Re: She starts, stays revved for a few....
Reply #15 - 08/09/12 at 09:04:06

Hey youzguyz...yes...when I just let it idle it is ok. When I throttle it is when it dies. I've tried the prime and reserve positions and wiith choke out. When I push the choke in, it dies. Installed a new gasline wiith inline filter previous to installing the replacement carb and petcock. I'll check the flow from petcock and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

1431 is a great road to run.  Cool

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 08/09/12 at 10:53:33

I'm thinking two things here by it dieing when hitting the throttle:
1. Not enough gas getting to carb.  Starves and dies
2. Not enough air getting to carb. Goes way rich, floods and dies.

So far, been looking at #1.  More on that.  
If you have good gas flow coming out of the line (with petcock on prime), hook it back up to the carb.  Open the bowl drain, let it empty, then put the petcock on prime again and see if you have good flow out of the drain.  If so, the float valve is staying open far enough to let plenty of gas in.  If it barely dribbles out of the drain, but you had good flow from the line, there is something wrong with the float valve.  There is a screen that is part of the valve, and that could be clogged up.

#2:
If the slide in the carb is stuck, or won't rise for some other reason, you won't get enough air through the carb and it will go very rich.
Mine kept running when I had that problem, but it sounded sick when I cranked on the throttle, and the bike would not go over 30mph.
You can try tapping the slide compartment when you open the throttle, but the only way to tell for sure if it is stuck, is to watch it, which means pulling off the boot between the air box and carb so you can see it.

You bought a used carb.  I really doubt it was opened, cleaned and checked before they sent it out.
"This came off a running so and so bike".  When?  How long did it sit? Who knows?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #17 - 08/09/12 at 13:16:29

Hey youzguyz...when you say the slide in the carb are you talking about the throttle valve or "butterfly" in the carb? If so, it was working freely when I tested it prior to installing. it moved smoothly and freely. Can you tell me where the screen is on the float valve? and can I get to it without taking off the carb?  Smiley

I really appreciate your help trying to get it running again. Thanks.

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #18 - 08/09/12 at 13:28:48

TS, I would take a look at this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040. In the second post in the exploded view, the screen is number 19.

The slide is number 9. Scroll down a little in this thread and there is a nice view http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/09/12 at 13:41:59

Yes the screen will be 19 and it should be attached to 20.
remove the floats, remove a screw and clip, then pull out 20.

Usually, a sea foam treatment to the gas will take care of a sticky slide.

but it sounds to me that you have a clogged main jet (18).

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/09/12 at 13:50:20

TS wrote on 08/09/12 at 13:16:29:
Hey youzguyz...when you say the slide in the carb are you talking about the throttle valve or "butterfly" in the carb? If so, it was working freely when I tested it prior to installing. it moved smoothly and freely. Can you tell me where the screen is on the float valve? and can I get to it without taking off the carb?  Smiley

I really appreciate your help trying to get it running again. Thanks.

TS

CalisOsin is correct on the parts I was referring to.   The slide is that big round cylinder that slides up into the top of the card.
You can get to the screen, float, etc, by dropping the carb bowl without taking the carb off the bike.  HOWEVER, it is awkward to work that way (upside down), and too easy to drop stuff that will roll to parts unknown.  The most I would do if just dropping the bowl would be to make sure the float is moving OK.  Maybe pull the jets to see if they are clear.  Maybe lightly spray some carb cleaner down the fuel line hole to see if that helps clear anything out.  (What you want to do is clean the screen the other way, from bottom to top, but the float and valve and stuff are in the way)
To get to that screen, you have to take off the float.  Easier if the carb is off the bike.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #21 - 08/09/12 at 14:33:58

Also, you might invest in these. That way you don't have to worry about boogering up the crappy screws it has in it next time.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 08/09/12 at 17:33:02

Id get the tube off the carb so I could see the slide in action.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #23 - 08/10/12 at 13:46:56

All of you guys are so cool! I hope to try and work on it sometime this weekend. I will post the results.  Smiley

When you say to see the slide in action...what exactly am I looking for it to do...slide...up and down? That probably sounds silly, but I'd like to be sure what I'm looking for it to do.  Embarrassed

You all give really good instruction and just hope I am able to actually carry out those detailed instructions. I really appreciate all of you guys help. Thanks again!

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #24 - 08/10/12 at 13:49:00

oh yea...can I use any carb cleaner or do I need to get something special? I don't want to use the wrong thing. Thanks.

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 08/10/12 at 16:11:22

TS wrote on 08/10/12 at 13:49:00:
oh yea...can I use any carb cleaner or do I need to get something special? I don't want to use the wrong thing. Thanks.

TS

as long as you are not getting it anywhere near the rubber parts like the diaphragms then you can,  other wise completely diss-assemble the carb before you use carb cleaner on it.  If you do a complete diss-assembly when you go to put the TEV back in make sure it's completely clean,  meaning not even a finger print on it, or it can cause issues.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/10/12 at 17:07:28

TS,
Carb cleaner.. like rfw said, keep it away from the rubber parts.  That is one reason I said "Maybe lightly spray some carb cleaner down the fuel line hole to see if that helps clear anything out." and only do it with the bowl OFF the carb.  You only want to clean out that screen, not spray it all over the place!

If you go to the part of watching the slide.
It will pulse up and down a bit at the speed of the engine.  As you increase throttle, it should rise up in to the carb body, and will still be pulsing.  If it doesn't pulse or move up, then it is stuck or something else is keeping it from moving.  Turn off the bike, and try moving it manually.  If it moves (or starts moving) freely.  Start it up and look again.  If it still doesn't move, then odds are the diaphram at the top of the slide is leaking.
If you are going to go deep into the carb, you should just tear it down and clean it.  There are instructions in the Tech section.
It's not hard,  but you need to be careful!

Make sure you read back through the thread and try to find the cause of the problem by eliminating possibilities.  The easy stuff first.  Check results after you do something.
Lets say you only get a trickle from the bowl drain.  when you take off the bowl, try the gas again to see if you are still only getting a trickle pass the float valve, as it is possible that the bowl drain was only allowing a trickle, and that doesn't mean anything!

Good luck!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › She starts, stays revved for a few....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.