Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
She starts, stays revved for a few.... (Read 239 times)
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
She starts, stays revved for a few....
08/07/12 at 07:33:46

Good morning all,
I have installed another carb and petcock (my original ones were gunked up from sitting for years). She now will start, but only stays started for 10 to 30 seconds, then dies. I smell gas and she sometimes backfires a little. The replacement carb and petcock I bought off of Ebay. Oh yea, I noticed a little gas leaking out of the vent tube (at first try to start) then it stopped...but still smell more gas than I think I should. Had to keep it parked outside instead of in the garage because of the fumes. Thanks so much for your help.
TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: She starts, stays revved for a few....
Reply #1 - 08/07/12 at 09:36:55

You're doing the right things.. replacing the right stuff...
... but something ain't right...
If you replaced the petcock with a stock one, was it a new one?...
If mot,.. do this test....
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

If that ain't it,.. the problem is in the float bowl... leaky floats, or dirty/worn float needle/seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #2 - 08/07/12 at 10:08:57

Thanks Serowbot. I went to the link and will be able to give it a try later today. Both the carb and petcock I bought off of Ebay are used and apparently from the same bike. I'll do the checks like your link said to check the petcock. I really appreciate the info and I'll post the results.  Smiley Hopefully it will work. Thanks for the prompt reply!

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/07/12 at 10:57:41

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/12 at 09:36:55:

If mot,..  Grin Grin Grin...

If not,.. do this test....  Wink...

Bad aim on the N target... Grin...

IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #4 - 08/07/12 at 11:04:53

haha...I knew what you meant... Cheesy Thanks again for the quick reply and thanks for knowing so much and sharing it with us.

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #5 - 08/07/12 at 15:35:04

ok...I did the petcock test and she starts a little easier and runs pretty smooth for about 10 seconds and as I twist the throttle to keep the rpms up she dies. So would this mean it is fuel starvation? No more gas smell, so it looks like I need to replace the petcock with the raptor either way? Or is it something else? Could it be the floats? Do I need to tap on the float bowl? It feels like I'm almost there, yet I'm so far away from getting her on the road.  Sad
TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/07/12 at 16:54:48

a. When you tested it,.. did you block the vacuum tap on the carb?...

b. Yes,.. if the gas smell is gone, or way less, and it's at least idling better,.. you need a new petcock...
Switching to a Raptor, is cheaper and more reliable, by far... but it is manual... so you should turn it off when you park..(PS. I never turn mine off, and it's fine.)...

You're getting there... don't give up, we'll help.. Wink...

IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #7 - 08/07/12 at 20:03:39

Hey Serowbot...you guys on this forum are lifesavers! It is a wonderful thing to have such a place where information is shared and help is there when one needs it. You guys and girls ROCK!

I tapped on the float bowl and tried again...she started and idled much better, but as soon as I twist the throttle, she still loses power and dies. It is WAY better than before (because of your help), it is just that now I need to figure out what is happening. If I get a raptor, do you think that will also solve the other problem of dying when I give it throttle?

It really, REALLY sounded good to hear her start and STAY started...it has been a long time since I've heard that sound. It felt good. Thanks so much for your help and hopefully, with your help and the others on this forum's help, I get her going.  Smiley

Thanks again.
TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 08/07/12 at 20:07:02

TS wrote on 08/07/12 at 20:03:39:
Hey Serowbot...you guys on this forum are lifesavers! It is a wonderful thing to have such a place where information is shared and help is there when one needs it. You guys and girls ROCK!

I tapped on the float bowl and tried again...she started and idled much better, but as soon as I twist the throttle, she still loses power and dies. It is WAY better than before (because of your help), it is just that now I need to figure out what is happening. If I get a raptor, do you think that will also solve the other problem of dying when I give it throttle?

It really, REALLY sounded good to hear her start and STAY started...it has been a long time since I've heard that sound. It felt good. Thanks so much for your help and hopefully, with your help and the others on this forum's help, I get her going.  Smiley

Thanks again.
TS

Sounds like your float needle is sticking or leaking around the seal.  You may need to drop the bowel on it and give it a good clean up and check the float needle and seat.  The Raptor is a good thing to change to if you don't mind the manual style petcock. Myself I prefer them as that's what I've always had, plus the added benefit of no vacuum related issues to ever crop up on it.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
Reply #9 - 08/07/12 at 20:18:16

Hey rfw2003...thanks for the info...do I need to drain the tank or can I just shut off at the petcock? Thanks again for the help.

TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/07/12 at 20:21:50

since you still have the vac operated petcock you don't need to drain the tank,  just leave it in the ON position and it won't flow since the bike isn't running.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/07/12 at 23:28:23

Please, do not drop your bowel.. the bowl, on the other hand, could be a good idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 08/07/12 at 23:38:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/12 at 23:28:23:
Please, do not drop your bowel.. the bowl, on the other hand, could be a good idea..

good catch there JOG,  must be more tired then I thought I was  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/08/12 at 00:06:11

My Doctor, God bless her, gave us several recipes. When the instructions were "Mix the dry ingredients in a Bowl" she spelled it bowel,.,

When I was reading thru them & saw that, I couldnt help but howel,, Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/08/12 at 05:31:25

If you just let it idle without cranking the throttle, does it stay running?
Thoughts.. just getting enough gas to idle.  Try to up the rpm and it starves out.  
"new" petcock has a issues?  What does it do if you just leave it on Prime (or is that what you are doing already?).
The thing here is to eliminate things and I can't tell all that you have done yet.
I would put it on Prime, start and see if it will keep running on idle.  If it starves out, pull the fuel line from the carb and see if you get good flow with it on Prime.  If not, check the line back to the petcock.  If not that, pull the petcock and see if the screen is clogged or some other obstruction.  (clean it out with carb cleaner).
Or am I not hearing what you are saying?

I got to get up there and run Lime Creek and 1431 again.  Fun roads!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:29:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › She starts, stays revved for a few....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.