Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yeah. Bleeping turn signals again. (Read 253 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Yeah. Bleeping turn signals again.
08/05/12 at 14:49:56

I have seen your setup, bridge rectifier and all. That seems like a lot of electronics just to get a beep out of a piezo beeper when the left or right side turn signal lights up. So, humor me while I ask what may be a stupid question:

I have a 2006 S40 (LS650)
Why can't I wire a Piezo beeper across the hot and ground wires leading to each of the two rear facing turn signal lights? This would create a parallel, not series, connection. The voltage would be the same across the beeper and the light bulb, but would this sap too much current from the light bulb? I don't know what the Radio Shack beepers pull in the way of current. This would seem like a much simpler solution, if it works. You went with a much more complex solution, so does that indicate that my simple solution does not work?

When I posted on this issue before, respondents said all I had to do was tie the hot side of the turn signal relay to the hot side of the piezo beeper and then ground the other side of the beeper. Call this a hunch, but I get the feeling that grounding the ts relay through the beeper would send the whole circuit to ground, and I would get a continuous beep.

I have also seen a post that recommends installing an old thermal relay. This individual says cut the connector off the old one and solder one of the wires to each post of the relay, doesn't matter which wire to which. First of all, there are four wires (I think) going into my stock relay, not two. And it seems odd to me that you do not have to differentiate between wires before cuttin and solderin and makin a mess.

Thanks for your time, and I would appreciate any help you could give me. Tired of leaving the ts on.

J2

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Yeah. Bleeping turn signals again.
Reply #1 - 08/05/12 at 15:09:09

Tired of leaving the ts on.

I, too, got tired of that. I started turning them off.. just parta ridin a bike,,concentrating on what we do, riding in an aware state. Daydreaming & riding are not a good mix.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #2 - 08/05/12 at 15:17:19

Definitely agree with riding aware. Been riding 40 years. My attention is on the 80 yr old lady in the Buick and the college chickie with the phone in her ear. That's why I may leave the ts on, while dodging traffic. I see a lot of bikes going down the road with the signals flashing. This can kill you, so I consider it important enough to have an audible reminder. My other bikes have some kind of sound connected with the ts. My Kymco 150 scooter (go to the store transport) has a thermal relay that always lets me know its on. I am used to that. It makes a difference.

J2

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/05/12 at 15:24:06

The peizo beeper does not draw significant current, and would have no effect on the turn signals. You would have to use two beepers, one for each side, to connect them directly across the turn signal bulbs, because if you connect the beeper to both bulbs at once you also connect both bulbs together. This makes four-way flashers, and probably also messes up the flash rate.

The person who used the bridge rectifier and relay setup simply used two of the four diodes in the bridge. They are used so whenever either turn signal flashes the beeper beeps, but the other diode keeps the current from backfeeding into the other signal. The relay was set up so when the brake was applied (brake light came on) the beeper would not beep. That way the beeper doesn't annoy you or anyone else while you are at the traffic light, but when you pull away the beeper reminds you the signals are on.

The method I prefer (because it is easy and it works) is to connect the beeper across the turn signal flasher itself. Its only quirk is that the beeper beeps when the turn signal light is OFF, and stops when the bulb is ON.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #4 - 08/05/12 at 15:37:16

OK. If you say it works, it works. The way the S40 system is wired, it just looked to me that the ts circuit might be hot and the handle bar switch grounded it to complete the circuit.

So, I would pull the rubber casing from under the tank ... then pull the connector, which leaves me looking at two terminals (spades or prongs). One is hot, the other not. If it is not marked, I will have to test the connector for voltage. Once polarity is established, I would solder the beeper across the terminals. I don't care when it beeps, as long as it beeps.

I could also use my original alternative ... wiring two beepers across the two tail facing signal lights. Have to get the seat off for that, and my fat fingers don't work too well on the inside nuts that secure the bolts holding the seat down. Can't get my fingers in there to hold the nut while I reattach the bolt ... not much of a mechanic, I'm afraid.
(also have a little arthur-itis) Embarrassed

Thanks for the reply.

J2

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/05/12 at 15:52:28

Do you need 2 beepers? How about a coupla diodes & 1 beeper? & the wires to the rear signals have connectors under the seat. That wire is routed thru the fender rails & they go up kinda between the frame horns under the seat,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #6 - 08/05/12 at 15:56:26

If it's wired the way you say under the seat ... sure ... anyone could use diodes to keep the pulses flowing the right way. But rather than play with rectification, I would as soon use two beepers. Simpler that way. Maybe I could tweak them to play a tune!

J2

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 08/05/12 at 16:00:52

If you disconnect the turn signal relay/flasher and turn on the ignition, one of the two wires will have 12 volts on it. This is the one to connect to the positive wire of the beeper. Connect the negative wire of the beeper to the other one. Don't bother to do any soldering. Just stick the wires from the beeper into the holes of the connector, and plug it back in. This will catch the wire between the prong and the hole and make a plenty good connection. Then secure the beeper somewhere with cable ties (zip ties).

There is one minor clinker. Those piezo beepers emit a pretty high pitched beep. I wear earplugs to help with the wind noise. Earplugs are particularly effective against high pitched tones. If you use earplugs, you will likely not hear the beeper.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #8 - 08/05/12 at 16:55:43

OK on the polarity test. Guess I have always figured it wasn't really connected until it was soldered. That's my old technical degree coming out.
Yep. I thought about the beeeeep in the beeper. That's why my first inclination is to put a pair of them under the seat. Might be a bit more muffled there. Also less H2O affectable. I may be less irritated by the frequency anyhow. I spent 35 years of my life wearing headphones (working radio news), so my ears don't tune in some of those frequencies as well as others do. Of course, the headphones centered on the human voice range, affected that the most, and don't you know sometimes I can't hear a thing my wife says!

I appreciate your time and suggestions.

J2

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/05/12 at 18:44:03

What about wiring an LED into the back of the front signals?

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #10 - 08/05/12 at 21:18:23

If you are tired of leaving the turn signals on why not just install a Kisan signalminder which will make those buggers self cancelling like the ones in your car. Just a thought. I did it a couple years ago and it worked prefectly.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/05/12 at 21:36:35

Why don't ya just connect a piezo bleeper across the flasher like Charon said !!
I just did it, it works perfectly.
And ya don't have to solder anything or strip any wires.
You don't even have to unplug the flasher. Just pull the flasher out of its rubber holder and push some solid 20  ga wires into the back of the plug.
Then ziptie it to the other wire close to the plug. Thats it !
The bleeper was too loud till I stuck it inside the headlite....perfecto !

Now go do it the easy way or the hard way !

Sorry, I lied !  I did have to solder a pc of solid doorbell wire on to the piezo wire.
You need solid wire to push into the back of the plug

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/06/12 at 04:28:25

J2 wrote on 08/05/12 at 14:49:56:
I have seen your setup, bridge rectifier and all. That seems like a lot of electronics just to get a beep out of a piezo beeper when the left or right side turn signal lights up.

Yep.. I'm the guy that wired up them electrics and created a maze of impossible wires going every which way so bad that you need a native guide and psychic just to see where ground is.  Grin
Come on.. one relay, one rectifier, one beeper.  The big plus is you can turn the thing OFF by grabbing brake.  Otherwise people start looking around trying to find that big truck that is getting ready to back into them.  (Yep, that is what it sounds like).
Now.. that relay trick might work on the beeper across the flasher, but then you gotta run more wires to places where you may not know where to hook in.
I also put LEDs in parallel with the turn signals as secondary indicators.  The location that worked best for me is on the bolts of the risers.. that is close to where my speedo is.  Easy hookup inside the headlight shell.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/06/12 at 06:15:31

I could have sworn I already answered this question but all you need to do is wire a piezo beeper across the terminals of the blinker relay. It will beep opposite the signal but it will beep nonetheless.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/06/12 at 06:20:35

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/06/12 at 06:15:31:
I could have sworn I already answered this question but all you need to do is wire a piezo beeper across the terminals of the blinker relay. It will beep opposite the signal but it will beep nonetheless.

Ahhhhh.. but you did not answer it yet in THIS thread.  I know, I just looked..  (pulling yer leg Mike.. not being critical of how you did what you did or why)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yeah. Bleeping turn signals again.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.