Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chain drive...snatch? (Read 123 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chain drive...snatch?
08/04/12 at 04:49:53

Any of you guys that have done a conversion have any vibration or snatch problems?  My dr 650 the chain vibrates and swings side to side up and down bad at certain rpms....common problem. Being how they are both big suzuki singles i wonder if the savage does the same thing?

KLR 650s dont do it??? My Super sherpa did when i went up one on the countershaft sprocket. I tried every possible alignment trick nothing made a difference.

Someone on here mentioned the chain drive 400 savage has this problem so i figure the 650 would also?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Chain drive...snatch?
Reply #1 - 08/04/12 at 05:15:03

I watched the rear fender go thru a violent oscillation, swinging so hard from side to side that I thot something was coming apart. I was following my girl on the Guzzi & when she was in 2nd ( I think) it flopped around so hard I figured bolts were out of it or something,, Nope,, it just hits a hard shake sometimes,, doesnt do it every time,,so, would the chain do it? Mmmmmmmm  could beeee,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/04/12 at 05:38:26

Why the concern? It's not like it going to fall off if you have it tensioned properly. I've only seen one chain break in my entire life on a road bike and it was during a GP race on TV a few years ago.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/04/12 at 07:24:50

If you have not seen what a snatching chain looks like i can understand your position its scary A 3 or 4 inch violent side to side shake gets your attention.  Could be the reason dr chains dont last long....... Why do you care....if it breaks there is a very good chance the engine will be ruined and possible leg injury also. I sold them for this reason. Both oring and standard chains did the same thing, swing arm bearings, neck bearings etc were fine no bent arms or shocks.

I have owned 50 some motorcycles most were chain drive the only 2 times i have seen this problem on a correctly lubed adjusted, alligned chain was the dr and the sherpa both single 4 strokes.

A dry or tight chain will do this and cause more vibes, if you notice your bike vibrating more than normal...very good chance the chain needs lubed and or adjusted. This applies to most any chain drive bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/04/12 at 07:27:55

There have been several who did the chain mod. All were well pleased. No one ever came back & said anything about there being any sort of negative results from it. But then, Ive never heard of any bike that did that, so waddooo I know>?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/04/12 at 07:46:45

You're talking about dirt-bikes here, there is a LOT more travel on a dirt-bike suspension and inherently more slack at the top and bottom of its travel. Plus, those are 520 chains. That's where that side-to-side crap is coming from. You can't compare them to road bikes and I'm sorry, I don't believe that someone with an LS400 had 3-4 inches of side-to-side slop.

Also no, I don't care about snatching and considering I don't ride dirt-bikes, I never will care. It will never happen to me because it doesn't apply to me.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/04/12 at 11:35:07

Chill dude, someone on here with a 400 said he wanted to convert to belt because of snatch in HIS chain!

Second if you dont have or ride dual sports how can you give an opinion of what i and many others have experienced. if you had taken the time to read or ask a question or 2 before you got your shorts in a bind you might not have been so offended by the question!!!

Granted they have more travel, the vibration does not happen at either top or bottom of swingarm movement, its normal ride height on the street, with or without a chain tensioner applied.

Do you have a chain drive savage if not why are you trying to cause an argument over a simple question about something you have NO experience with. Have a cold one or 6 relax and possibly learn something thats why i asked the question to learn............ Wink

The question was asked to get an answer from someone who HAS personal experience with a chain drive 650 savage, if they have had experienced what an actual owner of a chain drive 400 mentioned and what i have experienced with 2 other bikes. BTW i have actual experience with broken chains and cases. Wink

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/05/12 at 05:24:59

Cigar, mentioned his 400 had snatch, i asked if anyone who actually has a 650 chain drive has experienced this problem. Any others on here actually have 650 chain drive experience?????  If you have not looked at the chain or had someone ride along beside you or felt a strange vibe you might not know what is going on.

The question was not about dr 650s or sherpas or opinions of dirt bikes but i will explain once again...

The chain is at its tightest point riding on the road not at either end of swingarm movement loose chain is not the problem!!! My KLR 650 does not have this problem!!!!!  My DR was tested with an adjuster from the factory and a spring loaded after market one....same problem.

During normal acceleration the chain vibrated bad. Once speed was attained and crusing it smoothed out, with the sherpa it was total opposite smooth on take off bad vibe at 55-65 mph. Once again i experimented with adjusters tight and loose chain new and old chain same problem.

There are many bikes out there with longer chains and swingarms than a Dr 650 that do not have this problem, i have owned several including a KLR650. A 400 savage is the same bike as the 650 if they have snatch good chance the 650 would maybe not THATS the point of the question.

BACK to the question about the savage 650, if the 400 savage has this problem with a chain there is the possibility the 650 savage would also, based on experience with another 650 single with a similar carb and sprocket sizes....DID not say exact.... Roll Eyes that does oscillate at certain speeds and RPMs. so the 650 savage chain drive might do the same thing.  ACTUAL 650 chain drive owners lets here your experience with a 650 savage or 400 chain drive,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 22:41:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain drive...snatch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.