Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Make your own valve spring compressor (Read 177 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Make your own valve spring compressor
08/03/12 at 06:26:35

While working on my engine I wanted to take the valves out and clean up the head.  I don't have a valve spring compressor....and I really didn't want to buy one as I need one so seldom.  I took my head to a local engine machine shop, and they took my valve keepers off.....and showed me how to build a tool that will let you use your drill press to compress the springs so you can remove and install the keepers.

I used a piece of steel electrical conduit, a washer and a bolt.  I cut the conduit to length, drilled 1/2 inch holes through the conduit and then used a hacksaw to elongate the holes, then welded a washer on top and put a bolt and nut through to mount into the chuck of the drill press.  You need to put a wood block under the valve - or tilt the drill press table to make the valve upright while compressing the spring.  A small screwdriver and magnet helps to get the keepers out and in....and it works great!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Make your own valve spring compressor
Reply #1 - 08/03/12 at 21:53:50

Guys, please read the Guidelines for the Tech Section and put all comments and questions concerning tech posts into Rubber Side Down Section.

To make this easier, here is a link to the various comments concerning Dave's spring compressor.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344056141

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 13:59:40

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Make your own valve spring compressor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.