Handle bar "slip". (Read 318 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Handle bar "slip".
08/03/12 at 06:02:07

I have a set of Builtwell Frisco's on stock risers and they move a bit when I pull on them trying  to lift my rear off the seat when going over a bad bump. They do this because they are not knurled. I am tightening them up to the point that I am afraid of stripping the bolts.
Any ideas?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Handle bar "slip".
Reply #1 - 08/03/12 at 06:08:44

Try putting a dab of epoxy on the clamps before you tighten them down.  Just enough to provide some bond - but not enough to squeeze out and get ugly.  You will still be able to get the bars off when you release the clamps.  You might want to mark the rotation/location of the bars with some tape and a marker so you can get it right the first time.....when you epoxy them you will not be able to adjust them afterwards.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/03/12 at 06:14:31

I think you mean Loctite. Epoxy dries like superglue.

Also, are you tightening the screws with an L-shaped Allen key or with a ratchet with extension? Using an Allen key causes a lot of your effort to be put into cocking the head of the screw instead of turning it, this is why people have a tendency of stripping the heads out of them when trying to take off their old bars. If you use a T-handle or a ratchet and extension, you put all of that cocking force into your hands and it puts all of the twisting force onto the screw - which also allows you to tighten them more.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 08/03/12 at 08:00:41

When I swapped my drag bars for mini-apes, it was recommended by WD that I drill and pin my bars to the clamps so that they don't rotate like that. I haven't done that yet, and have not had them slip. Currently when I pull on my bars to lift my arse, I can feel the flex in the bars, but they haven't slipped, yet  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
DangRider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/12 at 08:05:56

I recently swapped out the stock bars for some aftermarket ones that are not knurled.  Here's an idea for you to try.

I took an aluminum can (just a Coke can in my case) and cut a strip that was just narrower than the clamps and long enough to almost touch when wrapped around the bar.  I left about a 1/16 inch gap for expansion when compressed.

I used a small strip of scotch tape to hold the aluminum strip on the bar for convenience when positioning the bar in the clamp.

That did the trick for me - solid hold at an excellent price!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 08/03/12 at 12:26:15

Musta read Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Here is an excerpt about the handlebar shims:
Quote:
His handlebars had started slipping. Not badly, he said, just a little when you shoved hard on them. I warned him not to use his adjustable wrench on the tightening nuts. It was likely to damage the chrome and start small rust spots. He agreed to use my metric sockets and box-ends.

When he brought his motorcycle over I got my wrenches out but then noticed that no amount of tightening would stop the slippage, because the ends of the collars were pinched shut.

"You’re going to have to shim those out," I said.
"What’s shim?"
"It’s a thin, flat strip of metal. You just slip it around the handlebar under the collar there and it will open up the collar to where you can tighten it again. You use shims like that to make adjustments in all kinds of machines."
"Oh," he said. He was getting interested. "Good. Where do you buy them?"
"I’ve got some right here," I said gleefully, holding up a can of beer in my hand.
He didn’t understand for a moment. Then he said, "What, the can?"
"Sure," I said, "best shim stock in the world."

I thought this was pretty clever myself. Save him a trip to God knows where to get shim stock. Save him time. Save him money. But to my surprise he didn’t see the cleverness of this at all. In fact he got noticeably haughty about the whole thing. Pretty soon he was dodging and filling with all kinds of excuses and, before I realized what his real attitude was, we had decided not to fix the handlebars after all.

As far as I know those handlebars are still loose. And I believe now that he was actually offended at the time. I had had the nerve to propose repair of his new eighteen-hundred dollar BMW, the pride of a half-century of German mechanical finesse, with a piece of old beer can!

Ach, du lieber!

Since then we have had very few conversations about motorcycle maintenance. None, now that I think of it. You push it any further and suddenly you are angry, without knowing why. I should say, to explain this, that beer-can aluminum is soft and sticky, as metals go. Perfect for the application. Aluminum doesn’t oxidize in wet weather...or, more precisely, it always has a thin layer of oxide that prevents any further oxidation. Also perfect.

In other words, any true German mechanic, with a half-century of mechanical finesse behind him, would have concluded that this particular solution to this particular technical problem was perfect.

For a while I thought what I should have done was sneak over to the workbench, cut a shim from the beer can, remove the printing and then come back and tell him we were in luck, it was the last one I had, specially imported from Germany. That would have done it. A special shim from the private stock of Baron Alfred Krupp, who had to sell it at a great sacrifice. Then he would have gone gaga over it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/03/12 at 12:35:35

I was going to suggest brass shim stock, but the beer can (I suppose a soda can would work, if you're a teetotaller) is cheaper and usually quite available.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/03/12 at 12:43:20

That was a good read but I'll tell you what put me off wasn't his suggestion of using an aluminum can, it was his comment "best shim stock in the world." I would have a hard time taking him seriously after that comment as well. If he had said "most convenient shim stock in the world" I couldn't contest that.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 08/03/12 at 13:10:11

What kind of cretin would drink beer out of a can! Shocked
Thanks for the ideas, folks.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 08/04/12 at 12:58:12

Shim didn't work. Sad

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/04/12 at 13:29:45

It's just a suggestion to try, but how about using some thing rubber strips as a shim, or some of that rough no slip grip tape like what you would put on steps to wrap around your bars where it bolts to the clamps?

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 08/04/12 at 13:41:19

I don't think rubber would work- if water wicked in it would act like a lubricant and make things worse. I had thought of the no slip stuff, and will see if I can find some thin enough.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 08/04/12 at 14:40:16

Hammer and a metal punch will do it.
Mark the inside and outside of your bar clamps.
Make a small indent with the metal punch, then angle the punch and smack it again. You will get a raised bump. Do this a dozen times within the marks around the bar.. Basicly your knurling the bar.
Stay inside the marks and you'll never see em unless you take the bar off.
Don't get to aggressive with the hammer. You can always tap it a third or fourth time. Make sure the punch is sharp to.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 08/05/12 at 13:33:46

Wolfman wrote on 08/04/12 at 14:40:16:
Hammer and a metal punch will do it.
Mark the inside and outside of your bar clamps.
Make a small indent with the metal punch, then angle the punch and smack it again. You will get a raised bump. Do this a dozen times within the marks around the bar.. Basicly your knurling the bar.
Stay inside the marks and you'll never see em unless you take the bar off.
Don't get to aggressive with the hammer. You can always tap it a third or fourth time. Make sure the punch is sharp to.

Thanks for the idea, but I would rather not punch through the chrome on the bars, as they would then rust. It did give me the idea of punching through the copper shims, though.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 08/05/12 at 14:09:43

Bar may still slip inside the shim. Id worry less about rust on a spot thats covered and out of sight then bar slippage when riding. You could always cover the indent with a spot of clear fingernail polish or clear coat. The raised dimples will still grab.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:33:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle bar "slip".

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.