Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Handle bar "slip". (Read 318 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Re: Handle bar "slip".
Reply #15 - 08/05/12 at 14:26:13

Art teacher, is the top part of the handlebar clamp touching the bottom part when the bars are installed? If so, machine down top part of the handle bar clamp. (the flat part where the bolts come through) Take off about an 1/8" or so and you'll be able to tighten it better.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/05/12 at 14:42:21

machine = file.. unless you have a Rowboat mill handy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #17 - 08/05/12 at 14:46:11

Yes but machine sounds so much better.  Grin

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #18 - 08/05/12 at 14:49:08

machine also =  sand = grind.

Very handy to at least have a thesaurus when you don't have access to a pretentious "machine shop."    Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/05/12 at 15:06:04

Boule’tard wrote on 08/05/12 at 14:49:08:
machine also =  sand = grind.

Very handy to at least have a thesaurus when you don't have access to a pretentious "machine shop."    Wink

First real LOL all day./..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 08/05/12 at 22:22:54

Pinning them takes all of 5 minutes. Drill 2 holes, insert 2 sheet metal screws. Use stainless steel screws or you'll never get them out. 1/2" will just get it, 3/4" work better, you need to go into the bar. If the screw head bothers you, use a piece of 1/8" stainless rod stock. File flush with the riser cap.

Never trust stock potmetal risers with high bars, they WILL let you down.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/05/12 at 23:49:33

I would never have considered that. Sounds like sage advice,,

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #22 - 08/06/12 at 09:32:25

arteacher wrote on 08/03/12 at 06:02:07:
I have a set of Builtwell Frisco's on stock risers and they move a bit when I pull on them trying  to lift my rear off the seat when going over a bad bump. They do this because they are not knurled. I am tightening them up to the point that I am afraid of stripping the bolts.
Any ideas?

Did you buy the 1 inch diameter bars or 7/8 inch bars? I have 1 inch diameter Keystone bars and they work fine.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #23 - 08/06/12 at 10:06:46

87 savage wrote on 08/05/12 at 14:26:13:
Art teacher, is the top part of the handlebar clamp touching the bottom part when the bars are installed? If so, machine down top part of the handle bar clamp. (the flat part where the bolts come through) Take off about an 1/8" or so and you'll be able to tighten it better.

Not touching.

Did you buy the 1 inch diameter bars or 7/8 inch bars? I have 1 inch diameter Keystone bars and they work fine.

1"

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 08/06/12 at 10:12:11

WD wrote on 08/05/12 at 22:22:54:
Pinning them takes all of 5 minutes. Drill 2 holes, insert 2 sheet metal screws. Use stainless steel screws or you'll never get them out. 1/2" will just get it, 3/4" work better, you need to go into the bar. If the screw head bothers you, use a piece of 1/8" stainless rod stock. File flush with the riser cap.

Thanks WD, for sure that would work, but I don't want to loose the ability to adjust them, if necessary.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 08/06/12 at 10:47:44

Why couldn't you smear some super glue on both parts and let it dry good,Then it might be rough enough to get it from twisting.Theres also spray adhesives, done the same way might work.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/06/12 at 11:06:40

Here's an idea for you...

You can get set screws in several types of points.
Common is a cup point.
What you what is cone point, at least initially.

Second, drill and tap the bar clamp, but do so off to the side, not centered.

This will allow you to flip the cap, readjust the bar and lock it in to new clean position.

I'd also go high on one side and low on the other so that you can also switch caps from one side to the other and bite into new territory.

When you're happy, there's another type called dog point, pull the cone points and replace the cone points and drill the bars at that setting.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 08/06/12 at 15:55:41

Try the epoxy method I suggested a week ago......it won't cost much and is totally reversible.

Get the bars where you want them, then put a piece of tape on the bars and clamps and mark it so you can align it.  Then take off the caps and clean the bars and clamps with a little bit of solvent to get any grease off.  Mix up a small amount of JB Weld and put a small strip in the top and bottom of the clamps, put on the bars and uppers clamps and tighten them down....wipe up anything that oozes out of the clamps.  Then pull off the tape and wait 24 hours before you try it.
Some have also suggested Lock Tite......it may work as well.

Give this a try.....in will take less time to try this than it has to post the thread or read the replies.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 08/10/12 at 14:51:34

elitemunkeycrew wrote on 08/06/12 at 09:32:25:
arteacher wrote on 08/03/12 at 06:02:07:
I have a set of Builtwell Frisco's on stock risers and they move a bit when I pull on them trying  to lift my rear off the seat when going over a bad bump. They do this because they are not knurled. I am tightening them up to the point that I am afraid of stripping the bolts.
Any ideas?

Do you happen to have a pick of your bike with the keystones?

IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #29 - 08/10/12 at 15:22:23

I have the biltwell keystones on my bike as well, I also got the biltwell slimline risers and the bars do not move at all. Its another $99 but they are great risers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle bar "slip".

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.