Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Speedo rattle fixes, headlight rattle fixes (Read 206 times)
NexusOfCrisis
YaBB Newbies

Origin of Storms

Oceanside, CA
Re: Speedo rattle fixes, headlight rattle fixes
08/02/12 at 21:24:56

Landed me a sweet deal on a very lightly used savage about a month ago and the first thing I noticed was that the speedo rattled louder than the engine at high RPM. Kind of embarrassing riding it, sounding like it was about to fly apart. As a matter of fact, I found this wonderful forum searching for a way to remedy it. I went with Diggers fix as it seemed easier and less... messy for lack of a better way to put it.

I found the grommets in the plumbing isle at my local Home Depot and the nylon washers right where Digger said, in the drawers in the hardware isle. I found the tubing in the plumbing isle as well but while the inside diameter was good, the outside was way too big. So i ditched it and went without it.

I have put a couple hundred miles on it already and it has worked perfectly. Although, as stated... Now I can hear everything else that's loose too. So, it's on to the headlight and some mystery noise coming from the rear when I first get going every morning.

Thanks for the help! Lots left to "fix"

2002 LS650 with 6500mi, Bone Freakin Stock... for now.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #1 - 08/04/12 at 04:37:32

Glad you are finding the info you are looking for, and welcome to the forums  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/04/12 at 05:16:40

Rattles? My mother's cure for rattles and squeaks in her car was louder music. My cure is louder exhaust.

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #3 - 06/19/14 at 17:39:55

I used the 1/4 id rubber grommets and 3 washers on top of the grommets for the spring to lay on. It was hella hard getting them on there and i had to put lube in the holes then tighten the speedo bolts down by themselves to start the rods through the grommets then i pushed them through the rest of the way fairly easily after that but they are really tight so i dont expect much movement. I haven't tested the fix but if i do still have problems ill report back. i would get a bit bigger ID grommets as was said on the other post but that's all that was available to me.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 06/20/14 at 19:13:30

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #5 - 06/22/14 at 18:52:38

Good tutorial link . I took the bike for a spin with the rubber grommets installed and I am happy to report no rattling yet which may confirm my suspicion that the rattling was coming from thespeedo legs hitting the metal holes they were going through and not coming from the springs, of course my springs were quite a bit tighter with the grommets and extra washer so who knows for sure. Getting the grommets in the holes was the hardest part . Either way should work decently though .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:45:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Speedo rattle fixes, headlight rattle fixes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.