Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Will it fit in a Caravan? (Cavi's bobber build) (Read 2047 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Will it fit in a Caravan? (Cavi's bobber build
Reply #15 - 08/03/12 at 20:41:07

What are the Controls and brake m/c from?  I like the looks of those.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #16 - 08/03/12 at 20:51:17

Looking good Mike!!!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 08/03/12 at 21:00:39

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 08/03/12 at 21:08:20

Thanks ZAR!

I ran the wires, connected everything and I ran some power to the wiring real quick and crap, I did the directionals backwards. Easy enough to fix. But I gotta say, I'm REALLY happy that I modified the headlamp switch, I really like having an off position.

Now you see it...

...now you don't!

IP Logged
chefevild
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/04/12 at 08:08:46

I really like that gas tank. How hard would that be to put on a Savage for someone like me who is handy and has tools galore but no welding capabilities? And what are the legalities and or inspection requirements  for not having any speedo/mileage? I'm in PA.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 08/04/12 at 09:25:14

If you can't weld, it's not happening. Also, I have a speedometer, just not the in-tank one. Nowhere is it legal to have no speedometer.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 08/10/12 at 19:59:19

This is the main reason why putting a different tank on isn't happening if you can't weld. These are the posts/donuts/front mounts that need to be relocated to fit the tank.

The red arrow is the original location, the blue arrow is the new location.

The rear mount would be possible albeit FUGLY with some drilled sheet-metal and some hardware but if you want it to look proper, it needs a rear-mount welded to it as well. I'm still up in the air about how I'm going to do this. Most likely I'm going to cut the mount off of the factory tank and weld it to mine.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 08/11/12 at 07:52:37

Something to consider. With an OFF setting for the headlight, the power the light would have used will be shunted to ground through the voltage regulator. Might make the regulator run warmer.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #23 - 08/11/12 at 09:08:43

Good point but I won't be turning it off while I'm riding so I'm not worried about it. I'll use it to turn it off as I'm parking or when I'm parked.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 08/16/12 at 10:02:09

Finally I got to the hard tail links. These were supposed to be the first thing I did...

I picked up 2 pairs of universal 9/16" Prothane bushings in black. They come with inner-sleeves but no outers so I ran up to the local steel supplier and found some DOM tubing that matched up pretty well. I chopped 4 pieces to the length I wanted, machined out the weld joint and opened them up so I would get a snug fit with the bushings. I chopped the sleeves down to size as well. The bushings themselves I just hit on a belt-sander to get them to length.

As for the links? Some conduit we had laying around the shop. I actually planned to use the conduit only as a template but I know this will more than suffice after handling it.

This is what I came up with:

I welded them up and fitted them to the bike.

It looks like the upper-left could come in a bit more but considering how close the chain already is, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Notice how the center of the link is still silver but the ends are dark from heat - that has nothing to do with me welding, it's from me grinding the zinc off before I welded it. DO NOT WELD GALVANIZED PIPE without sanding/grinding off the zinc first. That coating will emit a very toxic gas know as "chromium-6" or more correctly, hexavalent chromium, if you try to weld it. Nasty nuts. Google it.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 09/16/12 at 19:32:29

Stupid air-filter had to be modified because it blocked the port on the carb.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #26 - 09/16/12 at 19:33:21

Sorry for such a long delay since my last update, finalizing the saddle and rear tank mounts was a bit of a nightmare. LOTS of trial-n-error on this update.

As soon as the saddle came in I new that I couldn't use standard coil springs, they would need to be hair-pin style so I could run them next to the frame. I wanted the saddle to sit as low as possible so it didn't look like a wart like all of the bolt-on solo-saddle kits.

This is what I came up with for the spring mounts. Just some 1/8 flat-stock from Home-Depot with a couple 5/16-18 nuts welded in. Milled the angles to make them look a little less crude.

Then I milled a large radius on them to fit around the frame's 30mm diameter tubing.

This is their final mounting point. I originally had them higher up the frame but it wasn't working out with the springs I had. Yeah, rust. I left it out in the rain.

And with the springs and saddle. Probably makes a bit more sense now that you see it all together.

Next I wanted to devise a way to hold the front of the saddle and the rear of the tank in place with the same part. I made this with M6x1 holes so my bolts could go through the frame and tank and into this, holding everything in place. I soon realized that was a bad idea.

This threaded tube was nothing more than a section of 1/4" schedule 40 tubing that I ran a 3/8-24 form tap through. This is what the saddle-bracket will bolt to. The saddle-bracket on the seat is just a standard part, I didn't take any pictures of it.

If I would have used this mount to hold the tank down it would have caused two problems. One, it wouldn't have been a very strong mount. The sleeves going through the rubber tank bushing would have been what this was mounted to. I didn't like this at all. Two, if I wanted to remove the tank, the saddle would have to be removed as well. The M6 threaded holes are now just 6mm holes.

Now the bolts go through the frame, through the saddle mount, then through the tank. Now I can pop the tank off without removing the saddle.

Since the saddle mount was no longer holding this all together, I took the stock saddle mount and welded a couple nuts to it. A little modification was necessary to get it to fit.

This is it all together. I can drop the M6 bolts to remove the tank or I can pull these 3/8 cap screws to remove the saddle. Surprisingly its not hard to get that piece in there with the nuts welded to it.

For the rear of the tank I just cut the rear mount off the stock tank and welded it on this tank. A little modification to this as well.

Final position.

Next up: Exhaust.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 09/23/12 at 00:42:16

The exhaust turned out to be so unbelievably easy that I think Suzuki had originally intended the bike to be setup this way. All I had to do for this exhaust bracket was cut it away from the support, rotate it upward until it was level with the ground and re-weld. It was now perfectly inline with the output of the header.

I kinda screwed up when I took this picture and forgot to have the header in the shot. You can kinda eyeball the output in the previous shot and see where it will point.

My homemade muffler consisted of a replacement baffle for a Cobra exhaust, some fibreglass mat and a section of 2.25" 304 stainless pipe I had originally planned to use on my car.

I fully intend on this exhaust being rebuildable so I wanted to make sure I had a way to yank this baffle out when the mat disintegrates or the baffle rots away. I cut a couple bolts and used them as a place for a hook to grab onto to yank this out of the pipe. There is one at each end.

I was going to use wire to hold the mat on but I got lazy and impatient. Man this is gonna stink as it burns off...

The baffle in place...

...and secure.

To join the pipe to the header I ran a bunch of ideas through my head but I knew none of them were going to look as good as simply welding them together. I ground off as little of the chrome as possible...

...then slid the pipe on and tacked it in place.

With that in its final position, I marked off where the bracket holes are and tacked a couple stainless nuts to the pipe. Sorry for the blurry pic, I think I forgot to turn the macro back on.

Being one piece just looks so clean but there are major drawbacks to this. Rust, for starters. I opened myself to a world of problems grinding off this chrome but I was not going to be satisfied with hose-clamps and whatever other BS is out there. Also, the clamp that holds the header to the head is now stuck on the exhaust, it doesn't fit over my pipe. If it breaks, I'm screwed, I have to cut this apart. Oh well, sometimes function follows form.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #28 - 09/23/12 at 04:50:22

The bigger picture.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #29 - 09/24/12 at 09:35:10

That exhaust looks good!  What size pipe is that?  I'm thinking of doing something similar with stainless if I ever find the time.  How about a sound clip?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:19:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will it fit in a Caravan? (Cavi's bobber build)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.