Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Remember Kurling?...
08/02/12 at 11:34:13

I mean,.. I like the Olympics but,.. Kurling?...
Can you really call sweeping ice a sport?...
There has gotten' to be too many nutty things qualified as sports...

Next up,.. Olympic teeter-toter...  Olympic flower arranging... Olympic clock winding... hopscotch,.. marbles,.. feather blowing... air guitar...

Okay,.. I just ain't into badminton, or beach volleyball, and that's all that's on....
I guess I'll have to get to work refinishing my dining table... Huh...
Buhh!.. Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Remember Kurling?...
Reply #1 - 08/02/12 at 15:05:34

I tell you, curling has done more damage to the olympic name than all the drug scandals combined. It was I believe invented in canada, and its huge in canada. However the saving aspect is, its winter olympic sport, not summer and we have summer games on now, and winter olympics, well lets hope Mitt Romney will save the olympics again curling and all.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/02/12 at 15:27:37

Mitt has to save himself first.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/02/12 at 16:31:58

I hoped they were kidding when trampoline came up as an actual event. What's next, skateboarding?

There's already the World Cup, so soccer should get dropped. Women's boxing strike anybody else as odd? Badminton is NOT a sport. Beach volleyball... only if I'm at the clothing optional beach. Since I don't go to regular ones.

Canoe and kayak? alternate transportation, maybe, but not sports.

So far, I'd rather watch paint dry. At least I'd know my bike was ready to reassemble.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/02/12 at 18:27:01

WD wrote on 08/02/12 at 16:31:58:
There's already the World Cup, so soccer should get dropped.
Agreed.. same for Basketball

I don't like the kayak stuff much,.. but, rowing has a long history, so I kinda' like that... It's pretty, too...
So far, I'd rather watch paint dry. At least I'd know my bike was ready to reassemble.

Next up,.. Olympic pea shooting,... and tag team waffle tossing...Grin...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/02/12 at 20:23:04

I hoped they were kidding when trampoline came up as an actual event. What's next, skateboarding?

There's already the World Cup, so soccer should get dropped. Women's boxing strike anybody else as odd? Badminton is NOT a sport. Beach volleyball... only if I'm at the clothing optional beach. Since I don't go to regular ones.

Well every game has a world cup of sorts. All athletics, aquatics, gymnastics etc ... that well probably will leave curling as the only sport.
Then as an asian I have to tell you the 2 sports americans have no grasp of as to how hard it is are table tennis - aka ping pong and badminton. The western world got tired of being beaten black and blue by the chinese, koreans, japanese and Indonesians they regulated table tennis by making the ball bigger.
BTW the archery competition well that itself is a common enough sport in the US the place it was held @ - Lords cricket grounds. Really really like yankee stadium to the british, Indians, and the rest of the common wealth.
Anyway some sports are a bit stupid, trampoline ... yes, but the rest are 100% actual sports, just ones that aren't played in the US.
Soccer is a good one, definitely needs to be @ the olymipics.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 20:48:19

Oooo trampoline competition has stuff like rotations and twists etc ... closer to gymnastics than what we saw @ the beginning of "the man show".
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/02/12 at 23:08:51

I understand,.. I grew up in England,.. soccer is my favorite sport...
... but, soccer has the world cup.. even bigger than the Olympics...
Soccer fans,.. really care about the world cup... soccer in the Olympics.. not so much...
It's like,.. it's already got it's ultimate shoot-out...
Kurling,... well,.. I'm just not convinced anything with a broom and a kettle is a sport...
Sounds more like a couple of really bored, drunk guys in a cold place...Grin...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/02/12 at 23:38:20

Yea curling, serious even Mitt Romney cant deliver the olympics from that horror. Thankfully it is winter olympics, and its canadians who invented it IMHO. What else, they have 10 months of winter ... cant help it if you decide to see if these rocks slide across the ice better than those rocks etc.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/03/12 at 00:46:48

Canadians... geez.. I really admire Canadians for a heck of a lot of things...  Fantastic country...
Now I feel guilty for singling out Kurling and dissing it...

On the bright side,.. it's the only Olympic sport where you can show up drunk, and have an advantage...
I can appreciate that... Grin...

Go Canada!... Smiley...

If they managed to get Kurling in,... when do we get flat track motorcycling on ice?...
Yeah!... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/03/12 at 02:31:54

srinath wrote on 08/02/12 at 20:23:04:

Well every game has a world cup of sorts. All athletics, aquatics, gymnastics etc ... that well probably will leave curling as the only sport.
Then as an asian I have to tell you the 2 sports americans have no grasp of as to how hard it is are table tennis - aka ping pong and badminton. The western world got tired of being beaten black and blue by the chinese, koreans, japanese and Indonesians they regulated table tennis by making the ball bigger.
BTW the archery competition well that itself is a common enough sport in the US the place it was held @ - Lords cricket grounds. Really really like yankee stadium to the british, Indians, and the rest of the common wealth.
Anyway some sports are a bit stupid, trampoline ... yes, but the rest are 100% actual sports, just ones that aren't played in the US.
Soccer is a good one, definitely needs to be @ the olymipics.
Cool.
Srinath.

When did ping pong balls change? How much did they change? Heck, it never even crossed my mind to wonder, How old is the game, anyway? When did they learn to make the light, bouncy little plastic ball Ive known all my life? HEY!?  I never knew I had that many questions about Ping Pong,, but Ive sure played a lot of it,,& I likie that game,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/03/12 at 05:06:59

I like the fancy dancing horses, i hope Mitts filly wins, if i had a million dollar horse and could afford the 100 thousand dollar saddle and 15 thousand dollar riding suit and 77 thousand dollar food bill i would have 7 of them like mitt..................if i had 15k to play with i would buy a car not a riding suit.

Real macho, who needs to watch bull riders and cowboys when dancin horses on on........i would like to see mitt ride one........win the gold and prance around in the purdy suit. Embarrassed

I wonder what a pedicure costs for a dancin pony??

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/03/12 at 05:43:35

Table tennis balls changed around 92-93. They got larger by about 10% in dia. But the speed of movement etc depends on square of diameter. So they got slower by 121%, they also got easier to see cos they were bigger obviously. The larger ball also is softer, hence more forgiving when you mis hit as well as less lethal when your opponent hits it.

Almost the same as field hockey, badminton etc.
If you have stamina but not skill, you slow down the game - badminton. Shuttles got wider and more flared. This totally brought denmark into contention against eastern asia. Games went from 10 rallies to over 50. No one could kill, you had to wear and bore the opponent out. This was in the 70's if I recall.

If you have speed but not stick skills, you speed up the game. You can whack it and run after it. Field hockey in the 60's and 70's. Before which India had their only gold medals in olympics, all of it in field hockey. They went to non natural surfaces like astroturf etc.

Western europe has documented the whole world of sport. All of it in their favor.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/05/12 at 09:14:20

Table tennis balls changed around 92-93. They got larger by about 10% in dia. But the speed of movement etc depends on square of diameter. So they got slower by 121%, they also got easier to see cos they were bigger obviously. The larger ball also is softer, hence more forgiving when you mis hit as well as less lethal when your opponent hits it.

I played some in 68 or 9,a summer visit to Houston, then in 73, Id play this guy named Zuniga in the mornings before class in the AF,, I dont remember ever beatin that guy,, I never spotted a change in the balls, I guess if the other guy is using the same one, its a pretty fair game, I agree its crappy to change things in a game to gain some advantage, but Im no expert at any of them & have little grasp of the importance of these differences, tho, your description of how badminton has changed sure says a lot,, sounds very undesirable,
Maybe they should have different ones available, fat & fluffy for the weekend get together with the mixed couples & sleek & fast for hard competition,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 08/07/12 at 08:11:31

Well TT may have gotten slower, but atleast we can see it on TV now, and it is still dominated by the same region of the globe. In the old days with the older TV's you saw nothing. Like they had to do in Ice hockey, they wrapped the puck in blue digitally.
Badminton, a more flared shuttle will if hit well and proper just graze the net and drop shorter. I guess that is a smaller disadvantage for taller and more limber people. In general a slower shuttle helps the person with more stamina. A quicker one helps players who can kill.
Field Hockey was far nicer when stick work was the name of the game. The whack and run after it isn't as pretty to watch.

Anyway in the 60's and 70's I can recall whole rules being different depending on which rule book or which host country. In cricket for example, an over nowadays is 6 balls, delivered with a straight elbow with no more than 15 degrees of + elbow bend. So what about the negative elbow bend - as in they are double jointed. It would be legal in one country, but get called in another. Anyway 6 balls is the standard. However australia used to have 8, cos their arch rival england had 6. Not to be outdone, south africa had 4 - for no reason just to make you think.
I could say also all these changes in stuff standardised the sports. Sure it rearranged the winners and losers a few years but the talent again re surfaced. Except in the case of India. We still suck @ field hockey.
BTW since it is still within the rules Indians when we play cricket dont take the new ball when we are entitled to, we let the ball that has been in play a whole day with people slathering sweat etc on it, we continue to bowl with what looks like a dog's chew toy, cos our bowlers are all spinners. Worse yet our grounds are complete dust bowls and its never under 100 degrees with 100% humidity so the brit and aussies get to enjoy all those features. We not gonna tire them out, we're gonna sweat and dust them out.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/14/24 at 12:15:30

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Remember Kurling?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.