Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb Screw - Which Direction? (Read 266 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Re: Carb Screw - Which Direction?
Reply #15 - 08/15/12 at 11:51:54

justin_o_guy2 - I thought it was a leaky exhaust at first and I had it checked out and it was all good.  

I took it out for a drive at lunch and upped the idle some.  It sounds like it's running better and no back firing.  Smiley  The real test though will be when I ride it to work in the morning and see how it does.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #16 - 08/15/12 at 11:54:26

sjaskow - I've actually tried different brands and even differnt grades of fuel but it still would backfire like a gun.   So, I opted to try to adjust the carb screw and idle screw.  Since then, I've had no problems until this crazy weather came about.  

I'll get it running good without adjusting it soon enough.  Smiley   Good suggestions though on reasons it might be backfiring so bad!  

I appreciate all the help!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 08/15/12 at 19:37:08

Beagle wrote on 08/15/12 at 07:06:42:
So, this morning I rode my 1998 Savage to work and it was VERY foggy out and whenever I stopped...my poor motorcycle died.  Sad  I thought I had it running pretty good when I was a little colder in the morning and hotter on the way home but now with the fog...nope!  

It there any way to fix it so it just runs good without having to fiddle with the carb screw or am I SOL?  

I've got it where it doesn't backfire at all where it is now too.

Thanks!

Beag,

Are you still rocking the OEM petcock?  The reason I ask is that, IME, poor running in cooler wx can signal a sketchy petcock vacuum diaphragm, assuming you are using a vacuum actuated petcock....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #18 - 08/16/12 at 18:51:50

Yes, I am still using the original petcock but it seems just a small 1/4 turn of the idle screw and I'm doing good.  Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/17/12 at 05:21:36

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 08/15/12 at 11:22:21:
My brass plug is still intact and I can make mine bang like a gun pretty much on demand but I've learned to control it.  I've checked all of the exhaust bolts and they're nice and tight.

My position exactly !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #20 - 08/17/12 at 08:26:40

Routy wrote on 08/17/12 at 05:21:36:
My brass plug is still intact and I can make mine bang like a gun pretty much on demand but I've learned to control it.  I've checked all of the exhaust bolts and they're nice and tight.

My position exactly !!

To eah their own my friend.  It seems to running good now, even in the foggy weather in the morning and the hot sun on the way home.  So, we'll see if it keeps working well.  I really can't go back to the "factory specs" unless I take it to a Suzuki place though and I won't do that as long as it's running good.   Smiley  As always though, I appreciate the many suggestions and opinions from everyone.  It's nice to have so many people who has experience and advice on this motorcycle!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/17/12 at 08:38:15

My position exactly !!

Interesting, living with a defect to preserve the god like status of the EPA.

WWW   IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #22 - 08/17/12 at 09:17:03

verslagen1 wrote on 08/17/12 at 08:38:15:

My position exactly !!

Interesting, living with a defect to preserve the god like status of the EPA.

Yeah, you'd think Suzuki could have this fixed so it wouldn't backfire and run good but it's all good.  We have so many people on here that have tried different things for anything and everything, so someone will have a solution for whatever ails our bikes.  Wink

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #23 - 08/17/12 at 09:20:20

Has anyone experimented with different carbs on this thing?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 08/17/12 at 09:32:28

I think the most common alternate carb is the Mikuni VM. That one has an air screw instead of a fuel screw.

In general, a brass screw upstream of the slide is an air screw (righty richer) and a brass screw downstream of the slide is a fuel screw (righty leaner).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:22:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Screw - Which Direction?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.