Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel filters - general question (Read 99 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
fuel filters - general question
08/02/12 at 11:19:58

so who has opinion or experience using "universal" fuel filters vs. factory original fuel filters on thier motorcycles - provided your bike has a fuel filter.....

factory filter $15 - universal <$5....

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: fuel filters - general question
Reply #1 - 08/02/12 at 11:27:11

Your best served with an in-line fuel filter of the paper element type.  The stone or mesh type don't filter fine enough to keep the junk outta your carb.

Also the Savage doesn't have a factory fuel filter unless you count the mesh on the petcock as a fuel filter.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 08/02/12 at 12:21:27

yep my 96 petcock was replaced with a raptor - this is more of a general any bike type question not neccessarily savage only related.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 08/02/12 at 12:38:58

I just installed a mesh inline fuel filter. The only reason i didnt go with paper filter was because i couldnt find any that were small enough to fit in the short distance between the petcock and carb. the micron rating on my filter isnt impressive though.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/02/12 at 15:01:20

Ive actually have never seen a benefit of running any additional fuel filtering on a bike.

Obviously there is a reason to have one and the possible problems are easily contested.

But ive had them and not had them and have not had any issues.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/02/12 at 15:12:20

I've been using the stone (actually made of a porous metal) type in-line filter for years and it has caught stuff.  I'm considering switching to a paper type since most of what I've read says paper filters better.  You just never know what kind of silt you might get from pumps, gas cans or even the tank itself.  It's always better to have some crap caught in the filter than in the carb.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 15:42:47

I use the bronze "stone" type on my Savage. Had a paper element one that could flow enough to feed a built 318 V8 on there at one time also. They work about the same, but the metal cased "stone' one fits the bike better.

My Honda 250 takes tiny little lawn mower inline paper element filters. Smaller pistons than my Troy Built 8 horse rototiller though...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 08/02/12 at 19:55:45

I have a generic in line filter like for a lawn mower or whatever.  Put it on in 2007 thought it might help and wouldn't hurt.  So far it hasn't hurt ... dunno if it helped.  I had to replace the petcock to carb fuel line with a longer piece of hose in order to fit it in if I remember correctly.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel filters - general question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.