Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fork brace (Read 534 times)
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fork brace
08/01/12 at 17:30:51

Does anyone know of a fork brace that you can purchase off ebay that will fit the S40?  I dont want to spend $160 for a Superbrace...I want to go on ebay and get something for under $50 bucks...any suggestions?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: fork brace
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 18:04:46

For $50 it will be a kit
2 lengths of steel tube
and 2 steel plates
you weld.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 18:51:30

verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/12 at 18:04:46:
For $50 it will be a kit
2 lengths of steel tube
and 2 steel plates
you weld.

From where to where would you be welding.
My suggestion - its spoked wheels and long spindly legs pretty much negate any need for a fork brace. it flexes, fact of life.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/02/12 at 07:28:23

I'm not sure what they are charging these days, but this is the only other fork brace I have found for the S40:

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html

Their website is SUPER simple; not much info, so you'll need to email them, but lots of folks here use them, and seem to like them just as much as the Superbrace. I bought my Superbrace before I discovered the Tkat, otherwise that's what I would have done.

You could also do a search for "vintage fork brace" on Ebay.
This is one of the first ones that popped up for me this morning. I've always loved the look of these on the old Guzzi's, and I bet you could either find one to adapt, or really with the skills and tools you have at hand, you could make your own pretty easy.
Cut two small pieces of plate; drill 4 holes. Bend two sections of bar stock, then weld and paint. No brainer, Right?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 08/02/12 at 15:18:28

I got the tkat and love it. I can't remember what I paid for it anymore though.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/02/12 at 15:58:00

Tkat is $90.00 including shipping I believe.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 17:50:59

How about making your own. Get some half inch aluminum sheet, drill and cut to fit. Only tools needed are: digital calipers, hole saws, regular drill bits, saw to cut the metal, tap, countersink bit, and drill press.

Since it is aluminum you probably could use inexpensive bimetal hole saw bits on slow speed with lots of cutting oil. McMaster Carr has sizes every 1/16th inch up to 1 7/8th.  

After you try it on and like it then you can go back and trim it to a more pleasing shape. If you don't like it you haven't spent much time or effort or money.

I am sure all you real machinists would think it too crude but not all of us have CNC machines to use. The hard part for me would be keeping the pieces vertical when drilling the through holes on the drill press.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/02/12 at 18:28:00

The problem I see with that is the hole-saw. It isn't going to make a clean enough or straight enough hole and it's almost guaranteed to be the wrong size. If it doesn't fit perfect, and I mean PERFECT, the brace isn't going to perform its function. The brace isn't to keep the forks from spreading apart, it's to keep them from getting out of sync(one fork higher than the other). This is dependent on the holes fitting the forks with the precision that only a machine can do.

Your stock steel fender will do a better job than a poorly made brace.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/02/12 at 19:34:15

In general, the fork brace is too skinny to keep one side the same height as the other.  The axle will do a much better job of that.

Now that being said... keeping the two sliders in sync side to side and fore and aft are the real benefit to the fork brace.  It literally doubles the strength of each slider.  When you brake, one slider is twisted, the fork brake prevents the wheel from turning to the left by keeping the sliders aligned.  On groovy roads, when the wheel takes off from side to side, the sliders act together rather than twisting like a pretzel.

The brace can be made this way... but will take a few tries and may take many.  It will be difficult to drill all the way thru the edge for the clamping bolts w/o drifting to 1 side or the other.  And getting the fork nests the exact distance apart won't be easy, don't kid yourself on this 1, it has to be dead nuts.  Cut a pilot hole for both sides and make a sanding drum a little smaller than the fork.  Fit 1 side then the other, this will give you the opportunity to match the spread.

Or design a little adjustability into it.

You don't need a whole lot of adjustment, so oversized thru holes for the bolts could work.  Just require a bit of attention during the final fitting to get the ends matched up.  And I would plug the open end of the threaded holes,  keeps sh!t out and looks better.

WWW   IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/02/12 at 23:35:46

I knew you would have a better idea, Versy. I'm a mechanical engineer too, only I'm on the thermodynamics combustion side, not the machine design area. I'm not at all familiar with proper machine shop practices. Think of my design as a "High Concept” like a story pitch to a movie studio executive. The details are obviously beyond my limited understanding.

The threaded holes don't have to go all the way through, maybe just half way from the center split line.

I think the concept of adjustability makes a lot of sense. If the brace can be set up with the bike at rest so that it is not exerting any forces on the fork legs then tightened down wouldn't that be the ideal situation?

You are right; the fork brace keeps the fork legs from twisting due to side forces. I'm reading Kevin Cameron's book "Top Dead Center Two”; he is describing the evolution of motorcycle suspension. Very highly recommended book. How did he get so smart?

John in Kalifornia.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 08/03/12 at 01:26:06

The best way to "get so smart" is to try to figure out how things work by yourself and only ask questions when you get stumped. If you only ever ask questions, you will only learn 1/3 right, 1/3 wrong and 1/3 useless. Remember: The course came before the college.

IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #11 - 08/03/12 at 08:38:18

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/02/12 at 18:28:00:
Your stock steel fender will do a better job than a poorly made brace.

+1  The stock fender is fairly beefy too. I have a brace on another bike that has a flimsy plastic fender, or if I was going to go fenderless I would buy one.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/06/12 at 01:03:19

braveteacher wrote on 08/01/12 at 17:30:51:
Does anyone know of a fork brace that you can purchase off ebay that will fit the S40?  I dont want to spend $160 for a Superbrace...I want to go on ebay and get something for under $50 bucks...any suggestions?

Good luck!  I suppose you could buy 1/2 of TKAT's brace now and put the other 1/2 on lay-a-way.  If your willing to spend $50 to correct a problem, real or perceived and $50 won't get the intended results, the solution is to live with the problem or buy an excellent product at a very competitive price.  I purchased a TKAT brace for my S40 and am very pleased with the product and results.  Your mileage may vary.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/06/12 at 02:08:18

Do these braces actually help the handling much?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/06/12 at 11:34:38

The brace the Tkat makes is a freaking deal at just $99, including shipping in the US.

Otherwise, pay the extra and get a Superbrace for about $160 + shp.

Either way, you will be installing it within a week and saving yourself thousands of $$$ worth of frustration.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:16:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork brace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.