Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Post, Savage The Right Bike For Me? (Read 349 times)
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: First Post, Savage The Right Bike For Me?
Reply #15 - 08/04/12 at 06:20:33

PerrydaSavage wrote on 08/04/12 at 02:32:42:
Honda also has a model of their 750 Shadow in "Standard" set-up (mid controls, higher seat, less rake, conventional ergonomics), the VT750 RS ... which is in my opinion the very best of the 750 Shadow line-up ... and the one a taller Rider might find more comfortable ... the 750 Shadows are not much more powerful than the Savage ... why not go test sit one?

Yeah, I saw one a few weeks ago at the dealer. They are pretty cool.
The last of the Shadows with Chain drive, as all the others have went to shaft.
Me? I like my chain driven 03 Spirit. The nice thing about the chain is you can swap your rear sprocket (a very common mod for the Spirit) to get longer gears and reduce RPMs at highway speed. etc.
Plus the chain drive is lighter (and cooler..hee-hee) then the shaft. Of course the old ones like mine have carbs, where the new ones don't.
here's a pic of mine:

I've since removed the funky sissy bar. (it comes on and off pretty quick) The rejet and airbox and better pipes makes it sound great, plus gave me a little extra ooomph.
I got my 38 tooth rear sprocket and a new chain in a box, probally do a swap out in a few weeks. Right now my Savage is taking all my wrench time..
I know the Shadows are heavier then the savage (which is one reason I find the Savage soooo fun to ride...it's light and "flickable"), but the CG is so low and well balanced, you don't really notice the weight. Really smooth ride, smoother then my wifes Vstar 650 or the Savage.
Don't get me wrong though, for fun factor a Savage is hard to beat...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 08/04/12 at 08:47:52

If you decide on a Shadow, pass on the 600. I'd buy an 1100 ACE in a heartbeat. 600 is a nice little toy, if you want to really ride you'd be better served with something larger.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/05/12 at 04:43:06

WD wrote on 08/04/12 at 08:47:52:
If you decide on a Shadow, pass on the 600. I'd buy an 1100 ACE in a heartbeat. 600 is a nice little toy, if you want to really ride you'd be better served with something larger.

Roll Eyes I've heard the same said of the Savage...
I don't know..I've never ridden a VLX 600, But I've ridden with folks who had them, they seemed quite capable IMO. The VLX was in production a long time and still has a pretty loyal following.
Heck, I rode a GZ250 for two seasons, commuted to work 24 miles each way in DC traffic, and it managed fine.  
I'm amazed at how bikes keep getting bigger and bigger. Seems like all the manufactures dumped the whole mid size cruiser line,...no more VLX600, no more Vstar 650, no more Vulcan 500.
Oh well...least they still have the S40.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/05/12 at 04:55:34

I had a VLX 600 liked it a lot,So traded it for a Honda 1100,the 1100 was the worst bike I ever had just didn't like it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 08/05/12 at 22:40:13

I'm going based on his height. I really liked Lisa's little toy Rebel 450 (the 2 year only almost impossible to find good Rebel). I like the VLX600, but around town only. At 6'2", my Savage is a cute little toy, not a real motorcycle. My 1964 Triumph T120Cs were cute little toys. My 900cc Sportster was a toy. Heck, my 94 Ranger is a cute little toy, more than 40 miles and my wife had best be driving, my legs will shut down completely.

They finally killed off the WeeStar 650? And the EN500 is definitely no great loss. Had one, horrible machine.

And if you want a brand new Savage, best go buy one now. I don't see it being around next year, I've called several area dealers and they can't wait to see it out of the line up. Good bike but not enough real demand for it in North America to justify an EFI conversion.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #20 - 08/06/12 at 02:09:33

WD wrote on 08/04/12 at 08:47:52:

I'll take exception to that.

There seems to be an odd frame of mind, especially in the US, if a bike doesn't have pistons the size of moonshine jugs it ain't worth riding.

Really...  Roll Eyes

Go ask the plethora of solo riders who toured around the world on a 150/200cc Vespa, the wimpy 2-stroke, air-cooled single that could barely eke out 10-12bhp...

This is Roberto Patrignani, an Italian journalist who rode from Milan to Tokio for the 1964 Olympics.

Go ask Ted Simon, the London Times journalist who toured the world solo on a 500cc single carb Triumph Tiger, and lived to write a number of books about his travels.

30-odd years later he went around the world on the same route, albeit on a big BMW, and if you read between the lines he didn't enjoy his travels half of his previous trip...
Sure, lots of horsepower but the bike was just too heavy to afford enjoying the scenery.

http://eattherichuk.blogspot.it/2012/03/ted-simon.html

In my ... hoit toity authoritative opinion  Cool the 32 hp Savage is all you need to ride anywhere in the world.

Once you get to 70mph you rarely need to ride any faster. We're not talking the pony express here, I mean riding.

So sit back, smile, enjoy the scenery, and if at all possible, avoid monkey butt  Cool

As long as my wife rides pillion, we have a nice big 1200cc BMW to carry the two of us and all our luggage.
But for riding solo, the Savage is the bike for me  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 08/06/12 at 06:24:58

It's mainly HD riders that have that mentality because they're slow. A 600cc sportbike will smoke a HD. Heck, HD's can't beat half the cars on the road.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #22 - 08/06/12 at 09:47:06

My suggestion to Lanse re: the Shadow RS were primarily based upon his height and likely length of leg ... as an MTP Instructor, I've seen taller students try and fold themselves into our Cruiser Training Bikes (i.e. GZ250, CMX250) and it ain't pretty ... nor is it comfortable for 'em! LOL! The bikes in our Training fleet that taller folk seem most comfortable on are the Suzuki DR200 (a Dual Sport), the Honda Titan 150 (a Brazilian import Standard) and the Suzuki TU250X (retro-styled Standard) ... it is unlikely, in stock form, that the LS650 is going to fit Lanse much better than a GZ250 Marauder. His pic shows him to be a decent fit for a Dual Sport, but if he's wanting to go street Bike then he might find some of the non-Cruisers such as the Kawi Versys, Ninja 650R, V-Strom 650 or some similar Bikes a better "fit" ... I tossed out the VT750RS as an example of a "Cruiser" that is in reality more of a "Roadster" in terms of styling and ergonomics that might be more to his liking in terms of his size and level of experience were he to be kinda biased towards Cruiser-styled Bikes ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 08/06/12 at 11:37:28

If I was to buy a new bike it would be the Honda Shadow RS,Its about 40 pounds lighter than other shadows, Chain drive so could be gear to be relaxed at 65-70 miles and hour.Would make a nice freeway and back road bike.And I like the riding position better than a cruiser.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #24 - 08/06/12 at 13:20:23

Totally agree Bill ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 08/07/12 at 08:15:41

I know one thing,, The reason my heart jumped when I saw this bike was, even I could sit on it & touch the ground AND it was a 650. If I was a taller guy, I would never have given it a second look. I would have gone for a bike that fit me( This one fits me fine, Im 5'6" & wear a 30 inch pant leg). I had a Guzzi Nevada, it was a little tall,, but I got used to it, but the peg position was too tight for long ride comfort. Ive got a Kawasaki W 650, Its a FINE sittin bike, very comfortable riding position, NO Cam Chain, shimmed valves, a very low maintenance bike. Hard to find & expensive, because theyre just such well built & good bikes. I wouldnt grab one of these just because its handy & cheap. Take your time, look around at whats out there. Had I known the Kawasaki W650 existed, I wouldnt have ever bought that Guzzi. I would have got the Zuki, because I was new to riding( again) after 25 or so years w/o a bike, so the lower bike would have been a lot easier for me to get goin again,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 08/07/12 at 12:51:09

Like Perry and I BOTH stated... the bikes in the middleweight category aren't going to be comfortable for somebody that can flat foot a modern dual sport.

All you need to do is look at my avatar photo, stock bike with 12" apes and I'm folded up like a pretzel. And I'm ONLY 6'2", Lanse is a good bit taller.

My Savage is physically no bigger than my 1963 Honda 250 Scrambler. The only really comfortable bike on the place (out of 5) is my friend Doug's 99 Kawi 1500 Drifter, and it needs higher bars for me to ride it more than about 20 miles.

If the Savage fits you correctly, great. 652ccs is more than an ample amount of engine for most riders. Plenty of engine for me for that matter, just need about an 8-10 inch longer frame. If I ride my wife Lisa's VS800 (S50 in modern nomenclature) I'm operating it from the pillion. Same with our friend Donny's VS1400 (S83). Fair engines, lousy ergonomics.

All of my HDs had to have frame stretches to be comfortable also.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:30:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Post, Savage The Right Bike For Me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.