Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trip meter for Boulelvard S40 (Read 176 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Trip meter for Boulelvard S40
08/01/12 at 08:53:55

Recently started riding a 2007 Boulevard S40. As this bike has no trip meter, I currently have to rely on my memory or the reserve tank to know when to refuel. I'd prefer to have some way to visually remind myself that 120 miles have passed and it's time to refuel. Ideally, this would be some kind of waterproof stick-on digital device I could set to the "running out of fuel" odometer reading and attach to the tank. I've looked at bicycle monitors but haven't found anything that just lets me input a numeric value.

How have people here solved this (to me, anyway) annoyance?

- David
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: Trip meter for Boulelvard S40
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 08:58:19

for a cheap non electrical way you could write the mileage on the tank with a grease pencil!   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 09:35:07

They have added a table of contents in the Technical section......you can find the following link listed there:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1116676372

Plenty of information there about options you have.....one of which is a grease pencil used on your rear view mirror to record odo reading.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 09:49:02

I use a crayon and write the last few digits of the odometer on the speedometer plastic.  White is easiest to read but green is ok and I can write the number down on the receipt as well.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 09:49:32

I use a dollar store combination type luggage lock...
Just zip tie to the bars...Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 08/01/12 at 10:14:21

Looked at the computer and, like the other bike computers I looked at on Amazon.com, it seems like overkill for what I need. I like the luggage lock idea and will look for one. Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #6 - 08/01/12 at 10:32:27

I just write the mileage on the receipt and try not to get caught sputtering.  Smiley

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 08/01/12 at 16:36:49

RanDaMan wrote on 08/01/12 at 08:58:19:
for a cheap non electrical way you could write the mileage on the tank with a grease pencil!   Wink

+1, but I write it on the mirror. I get 110 miles to a tank, and write the current mileage +100 on the mirror. When the odometer gets close to the mirror number, I look for a gas station.
I think the grease pencil cost a bit more than a quarter.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 20:16:55

arteacher wrote on 08/01/12 at 16:36:49:
RanDaMan wrote on 08/01/12 at 08:58:19:

+1, but I write it on the mirror. I get 110 miles to a tank, and write the current mileage +100 on the mirror. When the odometer gets close to the mirror number, I look for a gas station.
I think the grease pencil cost a bit more than a quarter.

Since the mirrors are pretty much worthless over 50mph I like your idea Art!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 08/02/12 at 03:37:36

Used a cheap dollar store luggage lock as a pseudo-tripmeter on both of the LS650s I owned ... brilliant sollution to Suzuki's unfathomable lack of foresight!

Ironically my current 2007 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 has 2 tripmeters!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/02/12 at 05:12:00

PerrydaSavage wrote on 08/02/12 at 03:37:36:
Used a cheap dollar store luggage lock as a pseudo-tripmeter on both of the LS650s I owned ... brilliant sollution to Suzuki's unfathomable lack of foresight!

Ironically my current 2007 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 has 2 tripmeters!!

My 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa had two trip meters and I used one for tracking fuel and the other for tracking oil changes.  It also had a clock so I knew when to get home to keep out of trouble with the wife.

The Savage is not on the cutting edge of technology, and although some of the primitive features are endearing.....it would be nice to get ugrades in some areas.  A speedometer with a clock and trip meter would sure be nice.....maybe even a tach!  And then you could move it to a place where you could actually read it without having to bend your head down and lose sight of the road and cars in front of you.

The future of the Savage is unkown......it is a low production bike that gets very few changes, and it will be interesting to see if Suzuki continues to make the bike.....or better yet.....make some improvements.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/02/12 at 05:52:40

The future of every bike is unknown, and thousands have dropped off line while Savage has kept going. All these things that are lacking on the Savage is what makes the "Savage".
Suzuski didn't keep Savage in the line up for nearing 30 yrs, because it lacks many features that most all riders shy away from. There is something right about the Savage that has kept it going this long, probably the same reason why we all ride one.
I can't remember anyone ever complaining about the price.
I have heard Suzuski critisized so many times here for not making the Savage like a normal bike w/ all the normal accessories, kinda like Suzuski isn't very smart. But the Savage keeps going and going and going. Could it be that Suzuski really does know best ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:26:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trip meter for Boulelvard S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.