Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Stripped!
Reply #15 - 08/01/12 at 22:38:36

Quote:
its not that i NEED to change the spacer but it would be nice to have a little more kick in the mid range acceleration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not have noticeable lean running condition while loafing along at lower rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear, anything that can be corrected by 1 knotch on the choke, I would not change the spacer, especially because of the tite spot you're in.
And I almost know you're not gonna notice any improvement in acceleration, or any that a slightly bigger main jet won't fix.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/02/12 at 06:09:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/01/12 at 14:13:12:
First step on a phillips head that strips is a pin punch to try to lay the metal back in place & restore the X.

Step 2 is a proper fitting tool,.
An impact driver is super handy,the hammer strike shoves the driver tip into the X, the banging tends to loosen stuck threads. The HF driver came with tips, one was a long skinny dude,, mite need to file the tip off a tad, but youve got one out, so you can look at how it fits & get a tip that will get in the other one nicely,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #17 - 08/02/12 at 06:19:16

arteacher wrote on 08/01/12 at 16:22:30:
RanDaMan wrote on 08/01/12 at 11:09:55:
What is JIS?  Huh

Japan Industry Standard.

OOOHHHH!!

Is there a list of some sort of all the JIS bolts/screws that would be recommended to swap out with american standard bolts/screws to avoid excessive stripping?  for example the four screws on the top of the carb that people tend to have problems with

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/02/12 at 06:40:37

If you get those screws outta the carb w/o wrecking them,you can leave them, just use antisieze going back together,
Ive still got the OEM screws in the valve covers. Just takes a little care.
Its a lot easier to get a #2 Phillips & grind the tip flat till the tip sits down in the X. The hand held impact is just a super little tool. One very well spent $5.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #19 - 08/02/12 at 06:53:29

Ill have to look into those screwdrivers. I wish i had one before i stripped a screw but oh well you live, you learn.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #20 - 08/02/12 at 16:29:42

Depending on just how bad you stripped it, a simple solution might be to use a rubber band like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AclA-7YntvE

Also, maybe you can just cut a straight line in the top of the bolt head and use a flat head to get it out.

Good luck!

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/02/12 at 21:12:13

.Ive been fixin crap for decades.. if ya mess up a phillips head, use a pin punch & set the metal back in place, get a proper fitting tool & do it right.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #22 - 08/03/12 at 06:50:46

I dont know if it wil be as simple as pin punching it. its stripped pretty bad i might have to try the flat head technique there is no more x on the top of the screw  Undecided

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/03/12 at 07:44:57

Routy wrote on 08/01/12 at 22:38:36:
Quote:
its not that i NEED to change the spacer but it would be nice to have a little more kick in the mid range acceleration.
If you do not have noticeable lean running condition while loafing along at lower rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear, anything that can be corrected by 1 knotch on the choke, I would not change the spacer, especially because of the tite spot you're in.
And I almost know you're not gonna notice any improvement in acceleration, or any that a slightly bigger main jet won't fix.

This is the last time I'm going to repeat this !
If 1 notch on the choke didn't make it run better, DON'T do this mod !
And you better hope my next post won't be "I told you so !" Shocked

Many of these mode have been reversed because there was nothing gained.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/03/12 at 07:52:36

Once a screwdriver slips, its time to stop.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #25 - 08/03/12 at 08:53:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/03/12 at 07:52:36:
Once a screwdriver slips, its time to stop.

Yeah i was hoping that a bigger one would of done the job after the first slip, then it slipped again, and again, and again . . .  Embarrassed  

and Routy I thought the spacer mod would help gain acceleration in the mid range throttle?  Huh  I dont really know what the choke does for the bike my knowledge of that is simply if its cold and wont start pull the choke and start it. thats all i know about the choke. could you explain why running it with the choke might help?

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #26 - 08/03/12 at 09:00:03

[quote author=202F352E323427252D2334460 link=1343829144/15#23 date=1344005097]Routy wrote on 08/01/12 at 22:38:36:

I have read that if your running 1/4 throttle and it surges and hunts it means the pilot jet is too lean. my bike does do this but not bad. im running a 55 pilot jet though and dont want to lose a severe amount of MPG's and other guys are running similar set ups as me. k&n cone dyna exhaust and they are running stock pilot jets. for main jet im running a 155 and i have tested it using the full throttle from 40 mph for several seconds and letting off an 1/8 throttle there is no noticable gain in power for a second so i feel like my main jet is ok. but im not an expert at it.  Undecided

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 08/03/12 at 20:09:36

Quote:
I have read that if your running 1/4 throttle and it surges and hunts it means the pilot jet is too lean. my bike does do this but not bad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you're hunting and surging along at 1/4 throttle, does 1 click on the choke improve it ? If so, then from my experience, a thinner white spacer will correct it.
If changing the pilot jet fixes it also, I would not know about that.
I do know that I didn't notice any improvement or change in acceleration after the spacer mod,......but it sure did fix the 1/4 throttle surging problem.

Rich
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 08/03/12 at 22:39:43

After I nodded my spacer, the bike actually ran like a totally different animal in my case. The mid-range throttle response was so much better.
So for me it mad a big difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 17:48:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.