Send Topic Print
Stripped! (Read 294 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Stripped!
08/01/12 at 06:52:23

I had taken the carb off to replace the white spacer with a couple washers from lancer and when carefully removing the two little screw inside the diaphram cylinder that hold the needle in one of them stripped!  Angry  is there a way to tackle this situation and keep the diaphram i have or do i have to find a new one?  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Stripped!
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 07:06:43

Ran, check the hole for unused / unstripped threads down deeper in the hole.  You can reach these undamaged threads with a longer screw.

If not, do you know how to drill and tap a new oversized hole?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 07:15:23

O.F  yes i know how to drill out and tap a new hole but unfortunalty its not the threads that are the issue (unless you mean drilling out the enitre screw?) when i was trying to remove the screw with a philips head is stripped. i tried using several sizes of philips head screwdrivers after that and none of them were succesful they just aided in stripping the screw further.  Sad

I figured those tiny screws were too small to attempt an extractor of some sort and the tube is too deep to try and get a set of needle nose pliers on the head of the screw.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 07:22:43

So, to be more precise -- you have rounded off the phillips head recess on the screw?

If this is the case, then you can drill it out.   Fine fiddly work, to be sure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-left-hand-drill-bit-set-95146.html

If you go there, consider using a left hand bit to do the head drilling.   It offers the advantage of when the screw loses clamp tension between shank and head, the left hand direction of the drill bit instantly backs the screw out of the hole, preventing you from doing a drill through error.

Some have had success putting a slot in the screw head and using a flat blade, others have reported using a pair of vice grips with a needle nose configuration that can get down to grip the screw head well enough to back it off.

Good luck with your repairs, and remember --  that diaphragm-slider assembly is worth nearly $170 to Suzuki when you go to buy one.

Paying a competent, well equipped dealership mechanic $15-20 to get the damaged screws out might not be a bad idea as long as they will stand good for their goof ups should they screw it up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 07:28:36

I have stressed over and over....to use a new good fitting driver,......
lots a pressure, and, YOU DON"T LET IT STRIP !
Some here even stress using a little impact driver,.....I'm not sure about that. Ok ok, the milk is spilt !! shut up !

If you were to take a dremel and grind the head off the screw, or drill it off, then remove the needle assy, then the screw should be loose,......and there should be enuff sticking out to get a needle nose plyers on it ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 08/01/12 at 07:35:24

yes thats what i have done! ill look into geting a set of the left handed drill bits I jsut dont want to mess up that diaphragm in the process.

Just incase something does happen would you know where i could purchase a new one? or would i have to purchase a new carb all together?

EDIT

I dont know if the drill bits are or will long enough to reach down that cylinder.  Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/01/12 at 07:52:33

Here is a link to the parts page.  You need to find one of these you are comfortable with, and use it as a reference on how things are put together.  This page is from the Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer that is close to me - but I believe they all use the same parts finder software.
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

The part is available....but as OF said......Suzuki does hold it dear and wants lots of money to send one your way.

Those tiny little screws are really tight......and a new and unworn phillips screwdriver is a necessity.  It is not often done - but when flat and phillips screwdrivers become worn and the edges start to get round - it is time to replace them.  Using a worn screwdriver on tight screws can often end up making a difficult situation.  On my carb - I have replaced the top and bottom screws with allen heads - but those tiny slide screws I just replaced with new Phillips screws.  Surprisingly - my local hardware store has a good selection of metric fasteners.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 08/01/12 at 07:54:08

Routy wrote on 08/01/12 at 07:28:36:
Some here even stress using a little impact driver,.....I'm not sure about that. Ok ok, the milk is spilt !! shut up !

If you were to take a dremel and grind the head off the screw, or drill it off, then remove the needle assy, then the screw should be loose,......and there should be enuff sticking out to get a needle nose plyers on it ??

I wish I could go back and put your advice to good use Routy but thats a good idea with the dremel if all else fails ill give that a try! its not that i NEED to change the spacer but it would be nice to have a little more kick in the mid range acceleration.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 07:57:51

RanDaMan wrote on 08/01/12 at 07:54:08:
Routy wrote on 08/01/12 at 07:28:36:

I wish I could go back and put your advice to good use Routy but thats a good idea with the dremel if all else fails ill give that a try! its not that i NEED to change the spacer but it would be nice to have a little more kick in the mid range acceleration.

I don't believe this is terminal for you - once you drill the damaged head off the tiny fastener the tension will be relieved and the screw should come out easily.  This area is well protected from corrosion and sealed up - and chances are the threaded portion will come right out when the head is gone and the tension is off.  Exhaust flange studs are a different story altogether..........and they can really get the threads locked into the aluminum cylinder......use plenty of anti-sieze when you put the exhaust flange bolts back into a cylinder!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 07:58:37

Dave wrote on 08/01/12 at 07:52:33:
Here is a link to the parts page.  You need to find one of these you are comfortable with, and use it as a reference on how things are put together.  This page is from the Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer that is close to me - but I believe they all use the same parts finder software.
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

The part is available....but as OF said......Suzuki does hold it dear and wants lots of money to send one your way.

Shocked  you werent kidding that assembly is pricey! id rather but a new carb then pay that hahah! its like buying a new printer instead of buying the ink catridge!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 08/01/12 at 09:00:36

Although grinding the tip of regular philips head screwdrivers has served me well, I just ordered a set of JIS drivers from ikaswebshop .com.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 08/01/12 at 11:06:17

I slowly got rid of any JIS screw I could find on my bike and replaced them with SS socket head screws where possible.
Do yourself a favor and do the same if you can. At least get metric screws with Philips or slot heads, or even hex heads.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 08/01/12 at 11:09:55

What is JIS?  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/01/12 at 14:13:12

First step on a phillips head that strips is a pin punch to try to lay the metal back in place & restore the X.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 08/01/12 at 16:22:30

RanDaMan wrote on 08/01/12 at 11:09:55:
What is JIS?  Huh

Japan Industry Standard.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 22:50:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.