Send Topic Print
Rotella t6 (Read 285 times)
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Rotella t6
08/01/12 at 04:55:42

We don't have rotella t6 here in Australia ! Someone has already imported some and has it on eBay but that will cost me $65 for a gallon ! So without trying to start an oil war - do I buy it or look for a equivalent local ?

IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Re: Rotella t6
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 05:11:48

Just to clarify - I'm going on what I have read on here and rotella seems to be preferred by people who seem to know what they are talking about.      # note other similar oils here are $30 to $40 ish for a gallon

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 05:28:34

Here is your answer .... you might not like it very much but here she is.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/669794-substitute-for-shell-rotella/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 05:42:05

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/01/12 at 05:28:34:

Rotella is used for 2 stroke diesel engines,Not recommend by shell for gasoline motorcycles,That says it all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 06:03:56

That was some pretty selective data gathering, Bill.. I guess you missed the part about the American Rotella & its universal applications, huhh?

OF,, youre pretty up to speed on all this,, I had no idea there would be a difference in oil for a Spark plug engine & a compression fired one, Any idea what thats about? A fire is a fire is a fire, an explosion is an explosion,, do diesels run cooler, generally? I drove Macks, worked on a few Detroit powered trucks, but never had any on the road long enough to get them up to operating temps, just down the road 1/2 mile & back for a test. I wasnt doing engine work, I was just getting started learning on them when my hand got sucked into a turbocharger.. OUCHIES..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/01/12 at 06:10:14

bill67 wrote on 08/01/12 at 05:42:05:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/01/12 at 05:28:34:

Rotella is used for 2 stroke diesel engines,Not recommend by shell for gasoline motorcycles,That says it all.

It says what you want it to say while you ignore what it really says,
Doesnt add to your credibility to ignore a very clear statement & pretend the statement you posted was all there is on the subject. I HOPE you just overlooked the part Im posting,,

While we have a Rotella range of oils (Rotella DD+ 40 and Rotella DD+ 50) in Australia, they are suitable for use only in Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines, and as such cannot be compared to the American Rotella T. Rotella T is a universal (as opposed to diesel specific) engine oil, making it suitable for all types of 4 stroke engine (heavy duty diesel and both motorcycle and passenger car petrol engines.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/01/12 at 06:29:44

JOG did you miss were a guy here called Shell,They don't recommend t-6 for motorcycles.If the makers don't recommend it why would anyone want to use it.All the motorcycle oils out there and some people want to play with something else.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/01/12 at 06:58:04

Bill, you misquote him.   He said if you call Shell they won't recommend it.  

He got called on that one by the way, so let's see what he comes up with.

Justin,

A "spark plug diesel" can be a lower compression diesel engine, these are sometimes of the two stroke variety.   They can get twice as many power strokes per minute that way, but the intake charge is contaminated with some exhaust gases from the last power stroke.   They also have to dump off twice the amount of combustion heat input compared to a 4 stroke diesel.  

These engines are mostly marine diesel engines and they burn very crude low grade thick type oils.   But they are very cheap to run and they have a whole ocean full of cooling water to keep them from melting down.

A compression fired diesel is a very high compression 4 stroke engine, so much so the air gets literally red hot due to compression heating.   At this very high compression level, the injectors then shoot in the fuel mist that instantly ignites and burns.

Sounds fairly hairy, doesn't it?    Folks here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270799 say it reaches 614 degrees Celsius due to compression heating in a relatively low compression 16:1 VW four stroke glow plug type diesel engine.   The real open road big diesel rigs commonly run 20:1 compression ratios --- and wait, there's more.

Let's take that same engine and supercharge it to 20 something psi of intake pressure then compress that pre-compressed air charge 20:1 and see what you get.  

Why do that?   MORE POWER AND TORQUE from the same displacement engine of course .....

Rotella oils live very long lives in completely hellish conditions in their diesel world.   The oil is built to take this hell for 10,000 miles at a shot (and this is a minimum sort of mileage number, btw).  

Our little low compression low operating temperature motorcycle engines are nothing to this oil, a walk in the park.    Plus, we change the oil every few thousand miles which is a total joke to the additive packages the Rotella oils carry.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 07:43:24

And Bill, next time you get off on your little "diesel oil" rant again, please remember this little nugget from your misquoted mess.

"Rotella T is not a diesel engine oil, it is a universal engine oil and therefore will be suited to all types of engines."

Grin   Grin   Grin

Our American Heavy Duty Engine Oil classification is a universal class of product that is equally suited to gas or diesel or whatever sort of engine that has really nasty heavy loads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 07:48:24

bill67 wrote on 08/01/12 at 06:29:44:
JOG did you miss were a guy here called Shell,They don't recommend t-6 for motorcycles.If the makers don't recommend it why would anyone want to use it.All the motorcycle oils out there and some people want to play with something else.

Selective mis-quoting billshutter.

Quote:
3rd Reply from Shell Australia:

...While we have a Rotella range of oils (Rotella DD+ 40 and Rotella DD+ 50) in Australia, they are suitable for use only in Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines, and as such cannot be compared to the American Rotella T. Rotella T is a universal (as opposed to diesel specific) engine oil, making it suitable for all types of 4 stroke engine (heavy duty diesel and both motorcycle and passenger car petrol engines.

And no where does it mention T6

WWW   IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/01/12 at 08:32:15

I've been running it for 2 years, and 12,000 miles,  in my VFR800, which regularly sees 8,000 RPM (redline is 11,800), and has 39,000 miles on the engine.  No issues.  T6 is JASO MA certified, which eliminates any issues with wet clutches.  There is an email floating from Shell Technical indicating they don't have a problem with motorcycle applications.  If my wife put more miles on her 02 Savage, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.  As it is, the annual oil change is essentially dumping clean oil with less than 1,000 miles on it.  Here's a thread from Bob the Oil Guy.  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330040

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 08/01/12 at 08:56:51

There is a wiki for the 250 Ninja, and Rotella T6 synthetic comes highly recommended from those folks. The 250 Ninja until about 2006 was red-lined at 14000, changed in 2007 to 13000 with (supposedly) a 14K limiter.

When I got my 2007 250 Ninja it was prone to the fairly common wet clutch problem of clutch sticking after it sat for a while. That's the problem where, when the bike is shifted into gear the first time on startup, it jumps and stalls the engine. It also "breaks" the clutch free, and all is well afterwards. I put the Rotella T6 in it after its 600 mile maintenance, and while the clutch still sticks a little it usually breaks free without stalling the engine now. I cannot say for sure the Rotella did the job, or perhaps it just got better as I used it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/01/12 at 09:49:21

Charon wrote on 08/01/12 at 08:56:51:
When I got my 2007 250 Ninja it was prone to the fairly common wet clutch problem of clutch sticking after it sat for a while. That's the problem where, when the bike is shifted into gear the first time on startup, it jumps and stalls the engine. It also "breaks" the clutch free, and all is well afterwards. I put the Rotella T6 in it after its 600 mile maintenance, and while the clutch still sticks a little it usually breaks free without stalling the engine now. I cannot say for sure the Rotella did the job, or perhaps it just got better as I used it.

Trials bikes can develope this sticky clutch symptom......as we slip the clutches a lot and the plates don't really wear - but they get polished really smooth.  As a result when you pull in the clutch the plates are really stuck together by the oil - and since the surfaces are so smooth the oil holds on tight and won't release the plates.  The cure is to take the clutch apart and clean the oil off them, then lightly sand the surfaces to remove the shine and create a rougher surface that will allow air to get between the plates and let them release the vacuum.  After roughing them up, clean them and oil the plates as you assemble them back together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/01/12 at 14:21:10

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/01/12 at 06:58:04:

Bill, you misquote him.   He said if you call Shell they won't recommend it.  

He got called on that one by the way, so let's see what he comes up with.

Justin,

A "spark plug diesel" can be a lower compression diesel engine, these are sometimes of the two stroke variety.   They can get twice as many power strokes per minute that way, but the intake charge is contaminated with some exhaust gases from the last power stroke.   They also have to dump off twice the amount of combustion heat input compared to a 4 stroke diesel.  

These engines are mostly marine diesel engines and they burn very crude low grade thick type oils.   But they are very cheap to run and they have a whole ocean full of cooling water to keep them from melting down.

A compression fired diesel is a very high compression 4 stroke engine, so much so the air gets literally red hot due to compression heating.   At this very high compression level, the injectors then shoot in the fuel mist that instantly ignites and burns.

Sounds fairly hairy, doesn't it?    Folks here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270799 say it reaches 614 degrees Celsius due to compression heating in a relatively low compression 16:1 VW four stroke glow plug type diesel engine.   The real open road big diesel rigs commonly run 20:1 compression ratios --- and wait, there's more.

Let's take that same engine and supercharge it to 20 something psi of intake pressure then compress that pre-compressed air charge 20:1 and see what you get.  

Why do that?   MORE POWER AND TORQUE from the same displacement engine of course .....

Rotella oils live very long lives in completely hellish conditions in their diesel world.   The oil is built to take this hell for 10,000 miles at a shot (and this is a minimum sort of mileage number, btw).  

Our little low compression low operating temperature motorcycle engines are nothing to this oil, a walk in the park.    Plus, we change the oil every few thousand miles which is a total joke to the additive packages the Rotella oils carry.

Detroit Diesels are common in tugboats, & 18 wheelers, & on frac pumps,
Ive never seen a spark plug diesel, I guess theyre out there,,IDK, but the article said the oil hadnt been tested in a spark fire engine, so, only diesel applications were recommended,, Thats why I asked the difference in oiling needs for spark plug fired engines( I thot they meant gasoline) ..
IDK how much different the heat issue is for a 2 stroke vs a 4.. but as you point out, it fires at TDC, every time,, so, yea,, twice as much fire to handle.,.so, if the oil is okay in a 2 stroke diesel,, Id think it would handle a 4 stroke gas,, the article said it hasnt been tested,, not that it wouyldnt work,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/01/12 at 14:23:03

Dave wrote on 08/01/12 at 09:49:21:
Charon wrote on 08/01/12 at 08:56:51:

Trials bikes can develope this sticky clutch symptom......as we slip the clutches a lot and the plates don't really wear - but they get polished really smooth.  As a result when you pull in the clutch the plates are really stuck together by the oil - and since the surfaces are so smooth the oil holds on tight and won't release the plates.  The cure is to take the clutch apart and clean the oil off them, then lightly sand the surfaces to remove the shine and create a rougher surface that will allow air to get between the plates and let them release the vacuum.  After roughing them up, clean them and oil the plates as you assemble them back together.

If that just seems "wrong", get 2 pieces of glass, put a few drops of oil on one, press them together & see what it takes to pull them apart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:39:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella t6

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.