Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rear disc brake conversion? (Read 309 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
rear disc brake conversion?
07/31/12 at 15:22:16

Have any of you folks done and/or know of a way to convert the back drum into a disc? and is there any negative affects on doing this?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: rear disc brake conversion?
Reply #1 - 07/31/12 at 16:36:58

I've collected a few parts, and it's going nowhere fast.
GS550 rear wheel and caliper.

I think it would take the swingarm too.

There will be negative effects on your pocket book.

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #2 - 07/31/12 at 17:07:19

I've always thought that a chain conversion with a sprocket brake would look great on this bike.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/31/12 at 17:27:51

I think the idea of a chain conversion and sprocket brake (which I assume would just be a disc caliper using the sprocket as a disc) sounds interesting. I think there might be some difficulty with keeping chain lube out of the brake pads.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/31/12 at 18:47:21

Yeah, I never thought sprocket-brakes were anything but a gimmick. Do you know of any that actually work?

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #5 - 07/31/12 at 22:39:28

Quote:
I've collected a few parts, and it's going nowhere fast.
GS550 rear wheel and caliper.

I think it would take the swingarm too.

Does this still work with stock suspension in the rear or should i try to find the whole back end of this bike??? haha and it just matches right up with the stock pulley and belt?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 08/01/12 at 03:28:22

Where would the caliper mount to? Of course it won't work on the stock suspension. This sounds like a project that's a bit too far out of your reach.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/01/12 at 07:21:21

I suppose if you found a bike that has a rear swingarm that closely matches the stock swinger's length and width (at its pivot point), then you might be able to put something together, but it's going to take a lot of math, and a lot of backwards engineering, and a lot of custom fabricating.

Read through this guy's thread, if you haven't already.
He's done chain conversion, swingarm swap, a rear disc on the rear wheel, and at one point, I believe he has a rear brake disc mounted to the  front drive sprocket of the engine... (yup... page 3.)
Take your time; it's a lot of reading...
ENJOY!  Grin

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1264727267/0

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 13:53:08

Most of the sprocket brakes that I've seen have the calipers mounted to the swing arm.  There are enough places around making the kits that it must work, at least to a certain degree...

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 18:07:21

I suppose it is rude to ask, but is this something you are interested in doing for performance, or for looks?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #10 - 08/01/12 at 18:27:59

Why o why would anyone want to go to chain drive? Frequent adjustments and lube. Also they are dirty and sling lube on your wheel and bike no matter how careful you are applying it. I love the belt drive. That is one of the reasons I went with a savage. I see talk of a chain conversion from time to time and I just don't understand it. Just my 2 cents worth.  Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 08/01/12 at 18:30:36

I think the biggest reason people have converted to chain drive on the savage is better gearing choices.  I have considered it myself so that I can gear it a little better for hwy use.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #12 - 08/01/12 at 19:03:53

rfw2003 wrote on 08/01/12 at 18:30:36:
I think the biggest reason people have converted to chain drive on the savage is better gearing choices.  I have considered it myself so that I can gear it a little better for hwy use.

R.F.

You know what? I never even considered that!! My bad. Different size sprockets, different gear ratio. Yup, makes perfect sense R.F. Thanks for the clarification. Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #13 - 08/01/12 at 22:04:37

Add to the gearing options with a chain the cost factor. A chain and sprocket set is far less than the belt and drive pulleys, although the belt will last longer.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 08/02/12 at 05:22:28

Appearance and bulk. I think the belt is downright hideous. The rear pulley is way too large for such a small wheel/tire and the left shock having to be offset almost 2" to clear it is ridiculous. Maybe you wouldn't notice a 2" difference on a full-size cruiser but on a dinky bike like the Savage - that's all I can see when I look at one from the back.

Though I did go with a taller ratio for lower revs, I would have still swapped to a chain drive had my only option been a shorter ratio.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:30:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear disc brake conversion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.