Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chrome exhaust question (Read 101 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Chrome exhaust question
07/31/12 at 08:24:13

If I were to pick up one of those long straight pipe fishtail things from a Harley, can I get it bent at a muffler shop or will the chrome flake off?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Chrome exhaust question
Reply #1 - 07/31/12 at 09:05:32

I picked this one up on eBay for $25 including shipping last year. I don't remember exactly how long it is, (seems like 29" or something like that) but it is straight without any bends and this is how it ended up mounting on my bike. (I still need to put a small heat shield over the joint to the header)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 07/31/12 at 10:41:52

That looks good! I am wanting something a little different though. I have a red Thrush muffler and want an upswept fishtail extension. There aren't any prebent for my needs. I was wondering if I had one bent if it would flake. I am looking for an end result something like this, only with half the cylinders.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 07/31/12 at 11:01:24

In order to achieve a look similar to what you posted, I think you would have to get an adapter piece built to make the necessary bend.  Sad

The way mine is made, it is a perforated pipe (minor baffle) inside of another pipe, so I don't think it could be properly bent, let alone dealing with the chrome cracking.

Did you check out Halvors bike... He did one similar to that.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343497382/0#0

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 07/31/12 at 11:02:20

I actually found almost exactly what I was looking for! A 30" black fishtail extension. I emailed them to ask if the black would flake if bent. If so, I guess I will just have an adapter made, although I didn't want to use multiple clamps. I haven't figured out additional support mounting yet. With the black header wrap, red muffler, and black upswept fishtail, I will be where I want with the exhaust.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 07/31/12 at 11:05:16

EJID wrote on 07/31/12 at 11:01:24:
In order to achieve a look similar to what you posted, I think you would have to get an adapter piece built to make the necessary bend.  Sad

The way mine is made, it is a perforated pipe (minor baffle) inside of another pipe, so I don't think it could be properly bent, let alone dealing with the chrome cracking.

Did you check out Halvors bike... He did one similar to that.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343497382/0#0

You posted before I hit post!

Yours appears to be a fishtail muffler where I wish to use my existing muffler. I did just take a look at Halvor's. That is closer to what I am looking for.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/31/12 at 15:47:16

Look up Paughco, Samson, and some of the other aftermarket HD exhaust suppliers. They all carry upswept fishtail pieces in various lengths. Pre-bent, chromed or coated after bending.

Or order the 29" universal fishtail extension by Emgo, any muffler shop can cut/bend to your taste. Chuck up a 3M stripping pad in your drill, scuff the chrome (cheap soft crap) and spray it with bbq paint (rustoleum flat on mine since 2004 or 2005, has held up fine).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 07/31/12 at 16:37:36

WD wrote on 07/31/12 at 15:47:16:
Look up Paughco, Samson, and some of the other aftermarket HD exhaust suppliers. They all carry upswept fishtail pieces in various lengths. Pre-bent, chromed or coated after bending.

Or order the 29" universal fishtail extension by Emgo, any muffler shop can cut/bend to your taste. Chuck up a 3M stripping pad in your drill, scuff the chrome (cheap soft crap) and spray it with bbq paint (rustoleum flat on mine since 2004 or 2005, has held up fine).

Thanks for the suggestions!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chrome exhaust question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.