Savage Trailer Hitch (Read 258 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Savage Trailer Hitch
07/30/12 at 07:22:47

Can anyone steer me to links or pics of a trailer hitch for the savage.

I did the search, found some info, but pics and links missing.

My brother mounted one on the swing arm,....bad idea !!

Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Savage Trailer Hitch
Reply #1 - 07/30/12 at 07:42:46

This has worked for me on 2 Savages over a 9 year period.
I used part of a gate hinge for the pieces that fit under the top shock mounts. 1/2" steel rod fit into the gate hinge parts. Some 3/16" x 1" flat stock to the rearmost fender bolts, then more 1/2" rod down to the ball mount.
My ball mount is actually an old engine mount from an Opel GT because that's what I had. Now I would probably fab it from some channel & flat stock. The part where the ball mounts would be  min. 3/8" thick.

In this picture the bike is being supported by the hitch that was built in '02. 

This picture is from 2006.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/30/12 at 08:02:03

Don't think I'll ever pull a trailer, but I sure like that fairing - nice looking, and protective too.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/30/12 at 08:17:37

Do you have to register a trailer that small?

--Steve

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/30/12 at 08:17:57

360k+ wrote on 07/30/12 at 08:02:03:
Don't think I'll ever pull a trailer, but I sure like that fairing - nice looking, and protective too.

PSST!!! I think it's just a windshield that he's painted to match the bike  Shocked

Looks good, and I like it too

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/30/12 at 08:35:41

This picture is from 2006. [/quote]

This picture cracks me up. So if the bike and trailer aren’t enough, hop in the VW Golf/truck (Nascar sponsored and is that a spoiler) and use it. If that’s still not enough then jump in the Bus/pickup conversion and get it done.

Too funny. Some very obscure setups.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/30/12 at 09:17:41

The w/s was a Plexifairing 3 that came on the 2000 I had. It's mended on the left side where it was broken when some kids knocked it over. Painting it makes the bike look bigger, IMO.

It's easier to pull a trailer than deal with a passenger, what the trailer does is predictable. In Texas, it does have to be registered.

The truck was a Rabbit pickup, also known as a "Caddy". Yes, that's a wing, it looked cool, 1.8l scirocco motor & transaxle. Sadly, rust ate it so I sold it for $750 without the box, & replaced it with a '94 Toyota pickup, $1400.

HERRB- Hurricane Evacuation Recreational Race Bus. $4550 in total legal school bus condition, from a district that sold them at 12 years usage, regardless of mileage & condition. Bought after my '84 Chev Crew Cab Dually got too rusty & replacements I found in average condition were in the $10-12k range. A place for 4 dogs & me if we evacuate, & great for getting the mini-stock to the track.

My 950 has a hidden receiver hitch I built & it has taken over the towing duties.

Yes, that's pretty much how it goes. Take the bike if at all possible, the little truck if I have to, & my Texas Condo Cab when I need a heavyweight solution.

I like having things no one else can just go buy. I really enjoy it when the answer to their question is " You can't buy one like it because I MADE it!" Cool

WHAT, doesn't everyone have the righ tool for the job?? Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/30/12 at 09:52:19

That hitch is light & strong, not overbuilt & the Opel motormount fit in there so nicely,.,A lot of folks Have the right stuff to do things like that layin around, they just dont see the bits & pieces fitting together in their mental "CAD" area, I dont think everyone envisions things & can move bits & pieces around mentally.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/30/12 at 10:39:59

I studied a lot of hitches before I built one & mostly didn't like what I saw. Most of them end up putting all their forces into one point on each side of the frame, were 1/4" thick, heavy & ugly. My design can be lighter because it distributes the forces over 4 points. It worked so well for the Savage I got bolder when I built the 950 hitch. The Savage hitch was meant to be tucked away as much as possible due to the rear fender design.

The 950 got a variation of the design so when the hitch is removed from the receiver, you can't tell it has a hitch.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 07/30/12 at 19:20:35

RR 13,
Thanks for the pics and info. That'll get me goin on building one similar.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 07/30/12 at 19:34:19

I had a guy in North Dakota whip this one up for me. It's obviously a little over built, but it'll never fall apart or off the bike. It's clamped to the top shock mount and bolted through the fender and side rail. Absolutely DON'T want it hanging on the swing arm. Bounce that wheel right odd the ground.

Jack

http://www.bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/30/12 at 19:55:16

Routy, here's a couple more of the Savage.

The long braces support my 'ghost bracket' mounted saddle bags.
The second picture you can see how little of the hitch shows when the bags are in place. Cool

IP Logged
boywithanewhaircut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/12/13 at 21:55:07

i realize this post is over a year old and im not sure if its better to respond here or start a new thread but anyway...  can anyone build a hitch for me? i really like the design of the one that ridgerunner13 has posted on here. im willing to pay of course, i definitely dont have the skills to do it myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Trailer Hitch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.