Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I used to love seeing deer. (Read 157 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I used to love seeing deer.
07/28/12 at 22:33:54

Before I began riding Motorcycles again. Now I cringe when I blow past those deer x-ing signs at dusk. I know it's gonna happen, I just have to be super vigilant. Slow down and scan, scan, scan. Seeing and not hitting is the plan... Shocked

IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Re: I used to love seeing deer.
Reply #1 - 07/29/12 at 05:53:47

I can identify with your feelings about deer. I live in N. Central PA. We have plenty of whitetails running around here. Best to not ride at dusk in my opinion.  Hitting a deer can sure ruin your day. I've also had black bear sightings along the roads of Pa.. Hitting a possum, skunk, rabbit, fox, or porcupine can be just as disasterous.  It seems all the above are only too willing to give their lives to ruin your day.  Shocked

Eternal Vigilance is the only solution.

Happy Riding!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/29/12 at 07:52:08

Also be extra diligent in the mornings.   The deer x-ings are usually where they are because it's a natural path to food or water, and animals will tend to cross at both dawn and dusk.   Besides slowing down, tend to ride as close to the center of the road as safely possible as this increases your avoidance options.   It's much better to have two directions to swerve rather than just one if you are riding near the side of the road.  Lastly, deer can appear in mere seconds, so basically try to rehearse in your mind what you WOULD DO should a real event happen.

The only time I have been down was due to a deer at June Lake, CA at about 6AM.   I had no option but to to lay the bike down because I had the lake on the right side of the road and the steep mountain side on the other shoulder.  Luckily I was only going about 50mph, but even then, both myself and the bike slid for a long way.   The "coulda, woulda, shoulda" remorse afterwards is painful in both the literal and figurative sense.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/29/12 at 07:53:01

Heard the deer whistles were useless, but a good rifle crack backfire on command would be very helpful... I wonder how you could do that   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 07/29/12 at 07:58:10

verslagen1 wrote on 07/29/12 at 07:53:01:
Heard the deer whistles were useless, but a good rifle crack backfire on command would be very helpful... I wonder how you could do that   Smiley

I seem to remember reading a report years ago where deer whistles actually had a negative effect, because the deer would stand in the middle of the road trying to figure out what all the whistling was about.    Grin

As far as the rifle crack, what about the old trick of turning the ignition off for a second in gear, then back on?

Of course, this is all predicated on assuming you have time.   After analyzing my crash I figured I had less than 1 second to make an plan and execute it.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/29/12 at 08:16:56

I used to just put a slight pressure on the sidestand & let off,, it would go off like a gun, If I was running a hazardous road, I wouldnt mind doing that a few times, It isnt something to do when the handlebars are aimed at one,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/29/12 at 09:35:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/29/12 at 08:16:56:
I used to just put a slight pressure on the sidestand & let off,, it would go off like a gun, If I was running a hazardous road, I wouldnt mind doing that a few times, It isnt something to do when the handlebars are aimed at one,

+1
Used to do that on my first Savage just to screw with people. Mostly people walking side by side, almost or in the roadway. Out grew that phase & always wondered if I did it for too long I might do some engine damage. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/29/12 at 09:48:30

BTW, I live on a barrier island where I've been told for over 30 years there are no deer. Now, I knew better from my dirt bike riding days when I would find deer tracks, in an area known as "Charlies' Pasture", but I couldn't prove it until last December.
That's when on a run to my bank, I ran up on this fine specimen on the side of the road.

So even if you don't think there are any around, you still need to keep a careful eye out for them. This one was so recent, it was still warm. On my way back, the constables & a county truck were there loading it up. I hope it didn't go to waste, cause it wasn't even close to being spoiled.  Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/29/12 at 10:19:58

Spook'em with a deer whistle, backfire, or horn, and they are even more unpredictable than if you didn't...

I say slow down and go stealthy... hope you don't disturb...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/29/12 at 10:21:50

The buck stops here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 07/29/12 at 13:32:59

Took this on Friday morning from my driveway as I was heading out to work.  There was a doe and 3 fawns behind the buck.  

Then, took this of the same buck Saturday morning out my back door.  It was about 8 a.m.  The doe and 3 babies came back and followed the same path this buck did later yesterday morning.  And the buck came back yesterday evening.  They are out and about alot more at this time of year.

Definitely be on the lookout for them when riding!!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/29/12 at 14:36:14

That one posed for you, Piglet...
Looks like a garden decoration with the lights on each side... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 20:49:17

Not always but often deer travel in groups of  3-5 so if you see 1, slow down and prepare.   Wink

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/30/12 at 01:28:20

The day I bought my 2002 Savage it was pouring down raining and so I left it at the dealer and borrowed my moms car to go to work. I was just cruising thinking how much fun this was going to be on my bike when the weather was nice. A deer jumped right in front of the car, and wiped out the grill and hood and smashed the windshield. Might have been a omen because had it happened on my bike, I would have been dead.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 07/30/12 at 02:28:27

A shot like crack will have em looking for where it came from. Standing right in the middle of the road.
Best bet is hit the horn and flash your light.
Regardless of your attempt to clear the road keep one thing in mind. Deer got the right of way and your VERY best bet is braking and avoidance.
The bucks are in velvet and even with the heat their moving more lately. That and food is a bit harder to find with the drought so their ALL moving more right now.

And screw the marked crossings, deer can't read. Their liable to pop out anywhere. High point on a ridge or low spot along a creek or draw.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › I used to love seeing deer.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.