Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Digital Speedometer ? (Read 162 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Digital Speedometer ?
07/28/12 at 19:26:34

I am very new to the forum and have owned my 2005 S40 for 3 months now, love it and all the mod options available for it. As soon as I can afford to I am going to bobber it. For now I am just trying to add some practical mods and as you all know, it's kind of a pain to have to look down at your tank to see your speed. Short question long, does anyone know of a handlebar mount digital speedometer that they would recommend at a decent price ?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Digital Speedometer ?
Reply #1 - 07/28/12 at 20:27:08

Welcome TROX! I hear a lot of complaints about the speedo located in the tank but I really don't see that as a problem. It only took me a few rides to learn the sound of the engine at the normal speeds I run. I don't even bother to look at the clock anymore..I can hear and feel what speed I'm running.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/28/12 at 20:41:59

If you already have a GPS, you might consider using it. The trip summary screen on my Garmin has a rather large speedometer display as well as a trip odometer I use to track mileage between fill ups.

For what it is worth and welcome to the forum.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 07/29/12 at 06:17:56

Your main two options are a bicycle computer or a Trail Tech computer.

The Sigma bicycle computers are small and easy to install but not usefull in the dark (my morning commute to work  Sad) as the back light times out quickly on the few that have a back light.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183653316

The Trail Tech Vapor(has tach hookup) or Vector (speedo only) lets you hard wire to your electrical system for backlighting and less battery changes. http://www.trailtech.net/75-704.html

I have both the Sigma bc1009 and bc1609 (wired versions) and finally decided to go with the trail tech Vapor for the always on backlighting. Both Sigmas worked flawlessly and are a good product for the cost ($30ish new) but did not fill my need.

But the Trail Tech is about 3x the size of the Sigma Bicycle computer.

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #4 - 07/29/12 at 07:08:27

Thank you all for the responses. Clearush that trail tech vapor is really what I was looking for, I too need the backlight for my morning commute. I do agree that a GPS would work great also Blinky, but I think I want something I can permanently mount and not worry that someone would relieve me of it. Zar I do agree that once I get the feel of the bike it will be easier, but eventually when I bobber it I am going to switch the tank anyway so I will need something more and I believe the handlebar mount is a good option for me. Thank you all.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/29/12 at 08:25:07

Came across this while searching for a speedo for myself, looks to be an analog speedo with a digital odometer but an electric pickup instead of mechanical.  Wasn't sure if you were dead set on digital or just didn't want to bother extending the stock cable and figuring out wich mechanical speedo to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-E-D-Mini-Speedo-White-Face-/110903434080?pt=Motorcy...
Comes in Black or White face   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #6 - 07/29/12 at 08:57:17

That is a nice one ToesNose, I appreciate it. Clearush pointed me toward TRail tech and when I went to the page, I found you could add a dashboard that has turn signal indicators, neutral indicator, and Hi/Lo beam indicator options. Kinda steering towards this.

http://trailtech.net/indicator_dashboards.html

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #7 - 07/29/12 at 11:54:25

I'm doing something similar but instead of the trail tech dashboard, I plan on using the Ryca indicator panel to move my ignition key.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/indicator_panel.html

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/29/12 at 13:42:54

I really like the options to customize the trailtech, but I'm a sucker for the analog look    Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Digital Speedometer ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.