Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler build.. (Read 245 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BASIC MATH QUESTION?
Reply #15 - 07/29/12 at 21:13:10

Here's a shot of where the other end of the MINI_MUFFLER fits into the exhaust tubing.
That connector piece is a 1.75" ID standard exhaust tailpipe piece; it has a 45 degree bend and a 45 degree slash cut at the end, which is why the connection looks a little funky, but I think it will look great once it's welded up...
After marking where the muffler sits inside the pipe, I drilled a whole mess of small holes into the pipe to allow more flow-through. I wasn't concerned about these having the exact amount of area since they are in the middle of the exhaust; (it's the holes at the very end that will determine total flow) so these are all about 1/8" but there are 17-20 or so of them.... more than enough to do the job, and hopefully these will break up and scramble the exhaust flow and have a good baffling effect.

MINI-MUFFLER-4.JPG
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/29/12 at 21:16:01

Here's a view looking into the inlet end of the mini-muffler.
It looks gigantic because of the close-up-ness of the photo, but that opening is only 3/4". You can see the screen that goes down inside the muffler; it's a 3/4" ID tube of perforated metal running through the middle of it...

MINI-MUFFLER-5.JPG
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 07/29/12 at 21:17:40

Whell, ellipses?  CHANGE THE PROBLEM on us why don't ya   Grin

Ok <math hat on>
You drilled out 6 half-inch holes on a 45 degree angle.  The area of an ellipse is pi times the short radius times the long radius.  The short radius is half the diameter of your drill bit = .25in.  The long radius is half of your bit diameter/cos45 = .354in.  So the area of each hole is pi*.25*.354=0.278in^2.  The total area you drilled out with the 6 holes is 1.67in^2.  Hope that helps.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler bui
Reply #18 - 07/29/12 at 21:41:20

OH!
You must assume I drilled an ACTUAL ELIPSE! Well... let me tell ya...
I drilled these out by hand, just holding the thing down on the workbench and going for it.
When I say ellipse, what I mean is... I drilled out very small pilot holes to get started, then drilled them out with the 1/4" bit... THEN... while holding the little bugger firmly down to the bench with the drill bit running, I slowly lowered the drill down at an angle which ovalled out the holes a bit.

There's no exact science or math involved in the actual drilling process, so at this point the math is really more hypothetical than anything; although I DO very much appreciate you geeks putting your thinking caps on for this one! (I kid... I kid...)  Grin

At this point I think the math has gotten me close enough to what I am looking for, and now I just need to get the bike running and see how she works in real life and fine-tune it from there based on seat-of-the-pants feel, and whether or not it's completely deafening...

CHEERS!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 07/29/12 at 22:14:00

I'm sure your drilling skills are as good as my math skills.

If you were shooting for the equivalent of a 1.5" diameter hole (1.76in2) then I'd say you've got that and then some.

The 3/4" hole gives you 0.44in2 and the other 6 holes are 1.67in2, totaling 2.11in2

So if there is a bottleneck, it is probably not at the end of your muffler.. time to bust out the earplugs  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/29/12 at 22:31:21

SORRY BOULETARD...
I mis-typed that last post (just corrected it....) those holes are 1/4", not 1/2" BIG DIFFERENCE!

Either way, like I said, I feel like I have room to play with it iin a few different ways if I need to; drilling the holes out larger, or adding more baffling inside the connector, or stuffing the muffler with steel wool, so I'm hoping I can tune it to my taste once it's running.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/29/12 at 23:42:18

If it falls off you can always use one of these as a replacement.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 07/30/12 at 05:08:09

I like it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler build..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.