Great comeback line. (Read 256 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Great comeback line.
07/28/12 at 12:04:28

For those who don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an 'Australian treasure!' 

General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently. 
Read his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children.

Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love this! 
This is one of the best comeback lines of all time.

It is a portion of an ABC radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters. 

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting. 

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: 
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see how.. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm. 

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radiocast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Great comeback line.
Reply #1 - 07/28/12 at 13:43:19

Absolutly fantastic Gerald!!! Pretty much sums it up!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #2 - 07/28/12 at 14:19:13

Snatching victory from the jaws of...?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/28/12 at 23:04:04

I went looking for the interview & got a Snopes link,, It SAYS its false,,but,, Im sure that IF its false today, one day, someone will get that opportunity & capitalize on it.. Its a Wonderful example of a cunning linguist biting back hard..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 07/29/12 at 12:36:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/12 at 23:04:04:
I went looking for the interview & got a Snopes link,, It SAYS its false,,but,, Im sure that IF its false today, one day, someone will get that opportunity & capitalize on it.. Its a Wonderful example of a cunning linguist biting back hard..

i think there's a double entendre there somewhere  Huh

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/29/12 at 13:33:09

Ohh, at least a double,,maybe a triple,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 07/29/12 at 16:35:13

However many entendres there are, it's still funny, and I like the article. Grin
Like they say, guns don't kill people any more than pens misspell words, or spoons make us fat.  Heck, why not outlaw kitchen knives, and softball bats while they're at it?   Huh

Can't tell I'm pro-gun, can ya? Huh Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/30/12 at 04:02:38

John_D FSO wrote on 07/29/12 at 16:35:13:
However many entendres there are, it's still funny, and I like the article. Grin
Like they say, guns don't kill people any more than pens misspell words, or spoons make us fat.  Heck, why not outlaw kitchen knives, and softball bats while they're at it?   Huh

Can't tell I'm pro-gun, can ya? Huh Grin

Naaaaaah .......  not at all.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
kritchie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - 07/30/12 at 04:37:46

what an amazing come back
thanks for the laugh this morning.
It is so very true as well.  i would have loved to see the look on her face lol

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 22:16:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/12 at 23:04:04:

Snopes is hardly a source for this kind of thing, being a decidedly liberal outfit.  I would be really surprised if they did anything but be negative on a pro-gun thought of any kind.

What we really need is a snopes for snopes.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 08/02/12 at 05:16:39

What does snopes have to do with liberals? Do you think the mythbusters are just a bunch of darn liberals too? I mean hey, anyone who debunks stuff, they must just be liberals right? That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.

If it's false, it's false. Most of this crap is. It's just an newspaper or email joke that got passed around by so many people and for so long that people started to believe it was real. It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative, it just has to do with true vs false. This was nothing more than a good joke with a great punch-line, just like the Canadian lighthouse vs. the American warship radio conversation, a joke that someone thought was real and, in that case, it was a recycled recycled joke. In a couple decades, this will be too.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 08/02/12 at 08:23:32

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/02/12 at 05:16:39:
What does snopes have to do with liberals? Do you think the mythbusters are just a bunch of darn liberals too? I mean hey, anyone who debunks stuff, they must just be liberals right? That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.

If it's false, it's false. Most of this crap is. It's just an newspaper or email joke that got passed around by so many people and for so long that people started to believe it was real. It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative, it just has to do with true vs false. This was nothing more than a good joke with a great punch-line, just like the Canadian lighthouse vs. the American warship radio conversation, a joke that someone thought was real and, in that case, it was a recycled recycled joke. In a couple decades, this will be too.

Nice try.  It's true nonetheless.  You have to filter everything on snopes through a filter of sorts.  

Trying to use snopes for debunking issues may work for issues that are entirely apolitical, but otherwise it's like watching Brian Williams or Chris Matthews and hoping for unbiased reporting.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/02/12 at 14:40:26

This one has made the rounds for quite a few years now.  Like most good stories, the facts don't seem to matter.  It's more parable than report.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/02/12 at 19:05:26

Gyrobob wrote on 08/02/12 at 08:23:32:
Nice try.  It's true nonetheless.  You have to filter everything on snopes through a filter of sorts.  

Trying to use snopes for debunking issues may work for issues that are entirely apolitical, but otherwise it's like watching Brian Williams or Chris Matthews and hoping for unbiased reporting.

Nice try? Prove that it's real. Until I see hard evidence, it's false. And are you seriously still trying to draw politics into a thread about a newspaper joke? Did you stop taking your meds or something?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Is the Great Comeback line thread locked?
Reply #14 - 08/03/12 at 21:43:55

Naaah,, done fergot what I was gonna say,, OHH, wait,, I remember now,, I was talking to an older lady today ( she is 64) & told her about the thread, she said she remembered that interview,, that it really happened! She said she thot her brother or dad( dang,, memory fails) would probably remember who it was & she'd ask,,I hope she remembers,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:21:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Great comeback line.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.