Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie air filter question (Read 84 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Newbie air filter question
07/27/12 at 16:20:23

If I were to replace my stock filter with a K&N drop in, what happens? My exhaust is pretty free flowing right now with the Thrush on it an a 4" "tuned" baffle for cop control. Anyway, does it run leaner because there's more air coming in or does it run richer because more gas gets sucked in with that air or does it not change anything? I am not expecting a noticeable performance change but am wondering about carb tuning.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Newbie air filter question
Reply #1 - 07/27/12 at 16:25:37

It will run leaner as you will be removing an air restriction.
Tuning will be likely needed, however I will recommend you to do one thing at a time, put on the filter, and then if needed work on tuning the carb.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 07/27/12 at 16:43:34

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I have already re-jetted (152.5 and a 55). The exhaust mod required it. We'll see how it runs with the new filter.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/28/12 at 06:38:16

Anyway, does it run leaner because there's more air coming in or does it run richer because more gas gets sucked in with that air or does it not change anything?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are correct in that "more air is taking more fuel in along w/ it"

But that depends a lot where the air is being restricted.
If the air filter is restricting air, (no evidence of that on the OEM) it will definently run leaner when opened up, because it is no longer being choked on the vacuum side (upstream)  the carb venturi.

Relieveing any air restriction on the pressure side (exhaust valves downstream) will take in more fuel along w/ the more air, not changing the air fuel ratio much if any.

This is why just changing to a Hardy muffler, doesn't necessarily require a larger main jet, unless it is running too lean to start w/.

This IMO !  (and a touch of logical thinking ?)

« Last Edit: 07/28/12 at 18:37:29 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #4 - 07/28/12 at 21:17:05

I put a K&N drop in in my 09 about 3 yrs ago the bike ran a little stronger, only other mod was low end mixture screw, the one under the plug. I live and ride at about 2500 feet, most live closer to sea level. For what it's worth.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie air filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.