Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tuning the VM36 part deux (Read 255 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tuning the VM36 part deux
07/27/12 at 06:41:48

I PM'd Lancer about some specifics yesterday about this but then I had a realization today: If I'm this clueless, perhaps others in the future will be as clueless so I may as well post this so it's here for reference.

I bought the vm36 from Lancer. I opted for the UFO upgrade.

According to:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1271444201
and another post I saw by Lancer in the past I need to solder up the pilot jet.

The best idea I could come up with was dropping a bead in there and heating it up with a MAPP torch. I don't think my soldering iron has the guts to melt it through the wall of the jet. I don't know if that's the best way to get this done or if anyone who has been around the block has a better suggestion?

Later on he says:
LANCER wrote on 04/17/10 at 02:58:08:
With the pilot soldered closed, the VM carb will work like an Edelbrock Quicksilver, and simply pull up the fuel needed, as needed, to meet the engine requirements.

So this means I just swap out the needle jets and tune with the screw as necessary? Sounds easy enough...

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tuning the VM36 part deux
Reply #1 - 07/27/12 at 07:00:04

Ten Whole Dollars,,, at Lowes, Butane powered soldering iron, I never use the soldering tip, I take it off & use the tiny little fire to heat what Im soldering, unless Im inside a car or something,, then, cover the flame,

Of course Ive got an old Weller pistol, its 34 y/o, but that little gas jobbie is way handy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 07/27/12 at 08:01:02

I just did this myself.

I had a spare #30 pilot (came with the carb). Held the pilot (softly) in vice grips, heated up the top of the jet, and dropped a good bit of solder on to the top. I kept the soldering iron on the top of the jet for another 30-45 seconds and let gravity work the solder down into the jet. Then I used some solder wick to soak up a bit of the solder up top and then used a file, screwdriver, and a dremel to clean up the screwdriver slot on top of the jet.

Your iron probably does have the guts to do it, it'll just take a few seconds to heat everything up to temperature. My iron is a $10 cheapo and it worked just fine.

I have a VM38, so my experience *might* be different, but the soldered jet was too lean for me. I went to a #10, which was too rich, so I drilled an air bleed hole in my needle jet, which is where I'm at now, trying to get that hole sized right with the air mix screw.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/27/12 at 08:04:00

Oh, also keep out for the UFO hitting the bottom of the carb preventing you from adjusting the idle speed.

My UFO hit just a little bit which made idle sit around 1400 rpm. Made getting into first from neutral a bunch of fun.

To solve this, with the bike off, I snapped the throttle closed a few times to imprint the UFO where it was touching, then went to my dremel (or sandpaper) to sand the UFO down little bits at a time. Wash, rinse, repeat (don't actually wash it!).

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 07/27/12 at 08:09:59

Ugh, third post... I keep thinking of more info you might like to know.

With the soldered pilot jet in, at 1/4 throttle the bike would... hiccup. or sputter... I don't know how you would describe it, but it would feel like it skipped firing one or two revolutions and then pickup just fine.

Going to a #10 jet and drilling the air bleed hole cured that right up. MUCH better now.

But again, I'm on a VM38, so that might not apply to you. I'd advise listening to your air mixture screw. less than half a turn out -- too lean, go up one pilot jet size; more than 2.5 turns out (or 3) -- too rich, go down one pilot jet size. keep in mind that turning the air screw out means more air, so if you need to turn it out 2.5 turns that means that to compensate an overly rich pilot jet, you are introducing more air to the mixture.

http://www.mikunioz.com/download.htm has the VM super tuning manual, which might help a bit.

--
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/27/12 at 09:12:59

Lancer was kind enough to include a Mikuni tuning manual.
See, I was thinking I'd drop the solder ito the mushroom tip. Where you mention cleaning up the screw driver slot makes me think I should be applying solder to the side with the slot and not into the mushroom tip side.

Thanks for the other hints!

--Steve

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 07/27/12 at 11:34:20

Paraquat wrote on 07/27/12 at 09:12:59:
Lancer was kind enough to include a Mikuni tuning manual.
See, I was thinking I'd drop the solder ito the mushroom tip. Where you mention cleaning up the screw driver slot makes me think I should be applying solder to the side with the slot and not into the mushroom tip side.

Thanks for the other hints!

--Steve

The only issue I have with that is that my pilot jets had bleed holes. This means that the solder has to get a lot deeper into the jet to prevent fuel flow than if I want from the top. Of course, I could be confusing the function of the bleed holes. The way I see it, the bleed holes let in more fuel, so you'd have to solder all of them closed. Where as I only soldered the top hole, where the fuel is sucked in from.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but that is what I thought of. Dripping solder down from the mushroom tip of the jet is probably a better idea, as long as you did it to cover all of the bleed holes, which would mean the solder was coming out of the "top" flat part with the screw channel in it.

::shrug::
many ways to skin a cat (where did that saying come from anyways?!).

As long as the jet is "plugged" you'll achieve the desired affect.

--
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/27/12 at 17:10:34

I was thinking like this. So that the solder falls down into the hole when it melts and plugs the hole in the bottom.

--Steve

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 07/27/12 at 18:15:58

^That looks like you have a bit of a personal problem with your manly bits.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/28/12 at 19:10:57

It didn't go well all day.
It was a beautiful morning.
Got called into work.
As I got off my exit it started to rain.

Into the garage I go.
I tried it my way (as depicted in the diagram above) and it didn't drop down to plug the hole. I got it warmer and the solder stuck to the mating angle. I tried heating it from the bottom where the threads are hoping the heat would suck the solder down and the mushroom tip folded in half as it melted.

I stood the jet up on the mushroom tip, cut a piece of solder as long as the hole, dropped it in and cooked it.
Worked perfectly.

Screwed the pilot in, noted on a piece of paper I had the 180 needle jet, installed the carb. A friend came over, we grilled, hung out, started to rain, more BS, got back to the bike around 8:00 PM. It's still raining so I'm working inside my garage.

Choked it and fired it up. Had to give it throttle to get it to run. It died when I released the throttle. Adujsted the air screw one turn, died. Two turns, died.

Marked this down on my paper. Swapped out for the 190. Spilled a little gas on the floor, little on my shorts, some near the starter (see where I'm going yet?)
Choked it, fired it up - I don't know what happened next. It must've back fired out the intake or something. It caught on fire. I caught on fire. I grabbed the tank off the bike and hucked it outside. Grabbed my extinguisher and doused the bike, floor, wall (when whipping the tank around it threw gas in the wall) and went outside to put out the tank.

I'm not proud of my stupidity and perhaps it will serve as a warning in the future. I was impatient, didn't take the time to clean my workspace, and was doing this under all the wrong conditions.

Whatever that relay is above the carb got a little melty. The wires are toasty but not through the insulation. I'll rewrap them in heat shrink tubing individually. The two vent tubes on the sides of the carb got a bit brown instead of pink, and I cooked the insulation off an extension cord I really liked.

I'm really emarrassed. If I wasn't so impatient or took the time to clean up I could've prevented a lot. I've been covered in gas tons of times and never lit up before. I've got some second degree burns on my left hand and worst of all my girlfriend said I'm not allowed to go back outside to the bike :<
Could've been worse though.

EDIT: Before anyone else says it: I think 190 is too rich  Grin

--Steve

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 07/29/12 at 19:04:31

Main jet shouldn't have anything to do with idling. I guess with the UFO idle is all determined by needle position? Not sure about that...

Get her to fire up and warmed up a little using the choke/throttle and then back off the throttle with the choke off until the bike is at lower revs (900-1300) area and take note of how the bike sounds/smells. overly rich conditions will be fairly obvious (it'll smell/sound like the choke is on), but I'm guessing you are too lean. Turn the air screw all the way in and try that. Otherwise you might have to buy a #10 pilot jet and drill an air bleed hole in the needle jet.

That sucks about the burns. Burns hurt. Might be a good excuse to have your girlfriend break out the lotion though  Grin

I've lit myself on fire twice because of my bikes. Once I was using carb cleaner in a utility sink, and then decided to check the floats for holes by holding them over a candle (covered in soap, so bubbles would form where pinholes were) and even though the sink was dry, i got a nice fireball. The second time I had gas on my pants/hands and was testing spark plugs on a bike. Found out the spark plugs worked real quick.

--
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/29/12 at 20:02:21

I cleaned up my nuts hole garage (I typed nuts this time before the filter could get me) moved the bike outside, brought out some note paper, labeled all the jets in my holder and setup an extra AEM UEGO wideband I had laying around.

Note sure about idling with the UFO. As of yet I can't back off the choke.

I fired the bike up with the 190 jet I had installed the previous night. I believe I have found the source of the ignition! It appears I am puking fuel out of the overflow. I got the bike to idle, if you can call it that, with the choke on. It was very rough and it swung around. As noted above fuel was puking out the overflow so I killed it.

I put the 170 in and it fired up right away. Idled consistantly with the choke on but as I flipped the choke off my wideband dropped to 10.0 (max rich condition)

Thinking I was rich at this point I swapped the 160 jet in. The biked idled with the choke on and I was able to repeatedly manipulate my AFRs with the tuning screw but once again as soon as I flipped it off the bike just died. Even if I eased it off turning the screw as necessary. At these points I would engage the choke fully but the bike wouldn't start again.

I suspect an air leak so I put a thin bead of RTV around the flange adapter to the head and I reinstalled the 185 jet based on Lancer's information provided here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262724030

I'm giving the RTV a night to set and cure (is the excuse) but I don't want to fire her up because it's after 10PM here and people have windows open.
I have not yet checked where the snap ring is located on the needle.
I can tell you that the night before I made this thread I bolted the stock carb (with a dynajet needle in there but it's been so long I don't remember what I set it as) and the bike fired up, idled, choke off and idled.

--Steve

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 22:23:46

Hey man,
I can't help you at all with your carb questions... I was reading this out of curiosity and hoping to enlighten my own little brains a bit.

But I did want to say that as much as it must have really sucked to set yourself on fire, I'm very glad it wasn't worse. It actually sounds like you handled it really well, and kept a bad night from becoming a complete tragedy. Good Job!

And I hope you get your carb sorted out soon...
Cheers!

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/30/12 at 09:40:19

This dude has a simialr setup to me.
He has a knock off HD muffler where mine is de-baffled. He doesn't mention any other mods so I assume he is as stock as I am. He settled on a 195 jet with a soldered pilot.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276493488

I'm just putting this in writing so I can find it later. I can't wait to get home and tinker with the bike again. I haven't ridden since April!

--Steve

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/30/12 at 15:20:16

Ok. So I get home, amped up to try out the 185 jet, add some fuel, choke on, bike fires up, falls on it's face. I go to start the bike again and fuel is puking out of the overflow. Infact, fuel is puking out of the overflow about as fast as I can fill it.
I let it drain down.
I try to fire it up to see if anything was in the bowl. It visibly back fires out the carb. I don't catch on fire this time because I took necessary precautions and safe guards.
I add fuel and again it dumps out almost as fast as I can put it in.
I don't get it. I'm about to just throw the stock carb on just so I can ride.

EDIT: Been reading. I've heard needle, I've heard seat spring, I've heard floats, I've heard it's time for a rebuild
Going to check the book and then float levels.

EDIT x2: Took the bowl off. "Inspected" everything. Put it back together. It doesn't puke out anymore. It won't fire up without the choke, once running I can get one rev before it falls on it's face again. I'm beginning to suspect I might need the .010 pilot jet as noted above.

Edit x3:

On my stock carb:
#4 has been removed
#10 there says 230
#11 says 45

From my Dynojet kit:
#18 says 144
and my needle is on the 4th slot

I'm not sure about #17 but it doesn't look like it's giving up without a fight. With my factory carb I can idle and rev.

From this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1173814414

Quote:
most folks end up running a mikuni 155 or so on the main with an open pipe and good intake.  looks like the 144 DJ wil be about a  Mikuni 135... way too small...

Edit x4: I found my Dynojet box. I can't believe it was that easy.
There is a screw and drill bit (I assume it was from drilling out the brass plug), 2 stickers, and brand new in the bags 138, 140, 142, 144 (bag is empty. this jet is in my carb), 146 jets. There is a dirty, old, discolored jet I assume is the stock one I saved because I'm a packrat. It says 145.
There is also a small washer in there I now realize was probably supposed to replace the white spacer but never made it in.

Edit x5: With the stock carb, all settings mentioned above, the bike fired right up. It just idled and rev'd  for about 20 minutes. With the adjustment screw all the way screwed in (clockwise for lean) the bike was idling around 12.7 to 13.2 The bike actually felt between ~3/4-1 turn out of the adjustment screw which kept my idle AFRs between 12.7 and 13.2 and dropping to 10.9 when I crack the throttle about halfway. Still a bit rich for my tastes.

I put my dynojet 142 jet in the bike. Brought the screw all the way in. The wideband started acting up and was saying I was idling between 16-17.7 with a throttle blip bringing it down to high 14's. Figured I'd give that one a try to so I can say I rode the bike.
Went down the street and the bike stalled at the first stop sign. Popped and crackled on decel. I think it was better with the Dynojet 144. IF I were keeping this carb I'd say bigger jets all around.

Now my task is to use this page:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104263751
to translate what works into what jets to install in the VM36. I don't get it. Statistically even the blind squirrel should've found a nut.

--Steve

« Last Edit: 07/30/12 at 19:41:04 by Paraquat »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:34:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning the VM36 part deux

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.