Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Required Battery Output? (Read 159 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: Required Battery Output?
Reply #15 - 07/26/12 at 12:42:52

verslagen1 wrote on 07/26/12 at 12:06:04:
BigCrank is a battery I can recommend.
They sell various sizes
You'll have to pick a size for your use.
You plan on using accessories?  Don't do it.
You don't go very far between stops?  Don't do it.
Can't push start?  Don't do it.

seems as though you dont recommend changing out batteries?  Huh  

i ride far sometimes but not so far others i live twenty min from most civilization so my ride home should be enough to charge it up but while im out in town i make a few stops here and there! but i cant imagine the battery not getting charged up enough to start after a few stops around town.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 07/26/12 at 13:32:37

CCA, Cold Cranking Amps, is a number almost worthless on a motorcycle. It is the amount of current the battery can deliver for a specified time at zero degrees F, a temperature at which darn few people even try to start motorcycles. At higher temperatures batteries can deliver more current than the CCA number. The thing to remember is that the motorcycle starter motor (and the other loads such as the ignition box and lights) will only draw the current they need for a start. As long as the battery can supply that much current for long enough, things are good.

It has been some time, but a couple or three years ago I used a clamp-on ampmeter on my S40, and the highest current I saw during a start was 80 amps. Once the engine started turning the current dropped, and of course when the engine started the current reversed due to the charging system.

Until one gets into lots of cylinders, the starter has to push only one cylinder at a time through compression. The 650 single is just about the same starting load as a 1200 or 1300 twin.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #17 - 07/26/12 at 14:18:46

Charon wrote on 07/26/12 at 13:32:37:
CCA, Cold Cranking Amps, is a number almost worthless on a motorcycle. It is the amount of current the battery can deliver for a specified time at zero degrees F, a temperature at which darn few people even try to start motorcycles. At higher temperatures batteries can deliver more current than the CCA number. The thing to remember is that the motorcycle starter motor (and the other loads such as the ignition box and lights) will only draw the current they need for a start. As long as the battery can supply that much current for long enough, things are good.

It has been some time, but a couple or three years ago I used a clamp-on ampmeter on my S40, and the highest current I saw during a start was 80 amps. Once the engine started turning the current dropped, and of course when the engine started the current reversed due to the charging system.

Until one gets into lots of cylinders, the starter has to push only one cylinder at a time through compression. The 650 single is just about the same starting load as a 1200 or 1300 twin.

So basically any battery with regular CA equal to or higher will be acceptable? i just dont want to invest 200 bucks on a battery and have to push start the darn thing because i stopped at a gas station after riding for a short period of time or on the side of the road to take a leak. (if needed  Grin )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Required Battery Output?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.