Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Couple of Modding questions (Read 369 times)
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Couple of Modding questions
07/26/12 at 07:41:19

Question 1: the replacement carb is the VM roundslide carb, correct? Is this part an improvement on the stock carb? I want to know if it's worth it just for that, instead of getting it just to get the UFO.

Question 2: If i wire a 12v cig lighter port up directly to the battery, will I be able to let the savage sit for longer than a few days? My worry is that it will slowly drain battery while it is attached. I have read some threads on a battery tender, and battery tender disconnect terminal something or others.

Question 3: What is the purpose of a battery tender? How does it do whatever it does?

Question 4: Is there any legal reason that I can't fabricate my own fenders and whatnot for my bike? I want to make a custom back fender/sissy bar combo, with a wider wheel clearance for an eventual wheel upgrade.

Question 5: More of an opinion poll, what mods and fixes can you reccomend without hesitation? Little to big, I'd like to hear about them. I'm getting this baby for a long trip cross country, and want it to be in the best condition possible.

Thank you!
I know I type alot. If you don't feel like reading that whole thing, the short version is Help!, I dunno how to make Savage better! How make savage better?

« Last Edit: 07/27/12 at 12:15:24 by gutwrenchinggore »  
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: Couple of Modding questions
Reply #1 - 07/26/12 at 07:52:18

I can't comment on everything, but what I can tell you is a Battery Tender (or similar product) is a trickle charger/battery maintainer.  Batteries discharge slowly when not in use.  If you go a couple weeks without riding your bike, there isn't much parasitic drain.  However, batteries don't last forever, so a trickle charger will keep the voltage up with a small number of amps, generally 1-2A.  Some are constant and some are smart that will continually analyze the battery condition and charge it when it drops below a threshold.

Legality of fenders is up to your state.  Some places you have to have a front fender, some you don't.  As far as overall size and whatever, that's up to you and what you want to get away with.  Wink

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 07/26/12 at 08:09:32

wiring a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug won't draw from the battery unless you leave something plugged into it.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 07/26/12 at 08:14:15

Good questions. Like Cad I can't answer them all but here's a few.

Fenders.....While some states don't require them,I would not ride cross country without them. They do one job and do it well....they keep the rain/mud/rocks and debris off you and the bike and out of your eyes.

Many people make their own from trailer fenders,cut down sportster fenders or from raw steel. The choice is yours.

As for other add-ons.....you can fab up whatever you like,just make sure you secure it well and it does not interfere with operation of the bike or rub/cut hang in the belt and wheels or block air to the engine.

The very first mod I did was the seat mod...raising the front of the seat an inch or so to give more legroom and keep me from sliding forward.

My next mod will be moving the rear turn light back to the liscense plate bracket to make better fitting of the saddle bags.

There are so many mods you can do,both for better preformance/running and for looks you'll be working on the bike a long time and never get to ride if you do them all!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 07/26/12 at 12:20:24

Okay, so if I install a battery tender with a 12v car adapter, that will allow me to keep the battery charged, as long as I have an extension cord or whatever is required to hook it to house electricity. Having plugins is just extended circuitry, so it won't actually drain battery while not in use.

To ZAR: Yeah, fenders are important! I am not getting rid of the back one, I want to make a new one with an attached sissy bar arrangement, while simultaneously moving the turn lights and getting rid of the back seat.

To Cad: So if i put in for storage (Highly unlikely, a fairweather motorist I am not) the trickle charger is a good idea. But since this is my day to day ride, Just having a Cig lighter plug won't drain my battery too fast. I plan on just having my GPS plugged in to it, mounted on the handlebars for easy access. As well as a freakin speedometer in easy eye range, rather than this "interesting"( read stupid) placement on the tank.

But from what I'm gathering, modifying a motorcycle is pretty much legal, so long as it doesn't make it too loud or polluting. Right? Of course, having it not mess up the bike is very important.

Thank you all for the help, I'll be keeping a project log which I'll post up on my blog eventually.

Another idea I had, what about, instead of buying leatherlyke or what have you, I get some surplus high calibre ammo canisters, and weld up a mount for the modified fender? I think if I rubberize the seals and latch so it doesn't rattle, it would look and be pretty bad arse!

*Edit* I work in a sheet metal fab shop, so theres all kinds of scrap extras laying around. I figure I could get a big enough peice, have it cut out on the laser and then press brake it to dimensions. Just need to measure everything out!

Also, I've read that there are some tires that can be used to replace the stock back tire that are wider. What are the product numbers and whatnot to start trying to find those?

« Last Edit: 07/27/12 at 12:15:58 by gutwrenchinggore »  
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 07/26/12 at 12:34:28

First...Battery Tender Jr works fine for a MC battery: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/re...

You can also get a pigtail adapter for the cig lighter for your GPS that plugs right into the Battery Tender pigtail... http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041...

And the back tire...you can usually go with a 140/90-15 which are more readily available, and might only cause you to swap some of the bolts to button-heads if you have clearance issues.

Good luck, and post up the pics from a starting point and along the way.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/26/12 at 13:55:43

The cigarette lighter port is only an access point for electricity - it does not use up any power by itself......it only uses up power when you have something plugged into it that is turned on.  If you are intending to need a place to plug things in, it can double as an access point for using a battery tender.  Make sure you have an inline fuse installed as near the battery as possible.

The stock carb works fine for most of us, and maybe you should/could rejet it to get the engine to run a little better.  There are plenty of threads on this forum to help you with that......do some reading on past posts in the Tech or RSD section.  The Roundslide carb conversion is expensive, and not really needed on a stock engine.

Al from NH has mounted ammo boxes on his bike and painted it a military theme - I can't remember which section it is posted in.  He does have pictures of it.

Go slow on your mods for a while......get to know the bike a bit better before you make major changes.  It may turn out that the changes that look cool are not the ones that make it ride nice.  I agree on the speedometer thing.....it is really inconvenient to have to bend your head way down to read it......and there is no way to keep your eyes on the road when looking down at the speedometer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 13:59:11

If you have access to all of that equipment, building your own fender, or modifying the stock one should be pretty easy. Just remember that the stock fender isn't just for looks; it's structural. There's no frame under it really, so the fender is what is supporting the passenger seat and everything else that you might be loading onto the back of the bike.
That probably won't be too big of a deal if you are doing your trip solo, but keep it in mind.

Also, if you're planning a long trip, I'd focus on mods that make sense for travel. Changing out the carb would make sense if you were building a faster bike, but probably won't make any difference for your trip. Upgrading your shocks, and maybe your fork springs could save your butt and your back! So could the right seat mods. There are lots of threads here about all of those things.
The ammo boxes will look cool, but for such a long trip I think they would be too small and too heavy to be worth it. I've personally always preferred soft luggage. It's light, and can hold a ton of stuff well. Being softer makes it easier to pack, plus you can take it right off and bring it inside if you are staying at a hotel somewhere. You'll want to move the rear turn signals backwards to give you room for them.
If you are tall or long legged, have you thought about forward controls or foot rests?
Lots of recommendations here for good windscreens. I like the Givi that I got from Twisted throttle a lot. Taking that wind off of your chest can add several hours a day to your ride; I'd say some sort of good windscreen would be essential.

Remember, these bikes aren't built for long distance comfort; a lot of guys here say they can't ride for more than an hour or two without getting sore or cramped. Anything you can do to improve the long term ride will really help.

Good luck!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 14:01:07

Only really need the speedo when cops are around, anyway... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #9 - 07/26/12 at 14:32:50

To Teabowl: New shocks and springs are on the way, as this particular bike has been mistreated rather badly in it's life. The previous owner rode it up from Nevada with his wife and luggage. My priority for mods is functionality rather than looks. I find beauty in things that serve their purpose well, rather than a sweet paint job. As for soft vs. hard luggage, I have been swayed. I'm mostly trying to find ways of doing things that don't invovle purchasing a bunch of aftermarket stuff that everybodies got. I like doing things myself on all my vehicles.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/26/12 at 18:11:57

I might have you beat already for a chick stick, sissybar or whatever you choose to call it. Old aircooled metric 4 banger unit that fits behind my saddlebag spacers (3" mahogany) and supports the rear fender. Which is supposed to be on a 1970-84 FLH...

Seat and paint color have changed since this pic, now has floorboards instead of puny pegs (I wear anywhere from a 12-14 boot depending on the maker).

Cross country set-up? Other than needing a decent front fender...

This...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/26/12 at 18:17:51

And if you want it to actually handle worth a crap, get a 90/90-19 front tire. The stock 100/90-19 is too fat/heavy for the scrawny front end. A 130 on the rear helps a lot as well. Or a 135 VW tire if you plan to criss cross the country a few times (or run the Columbia Gorge, trust me, 14 on the Washington side is a bike killer).

I've had mine since 98. I'm a bit more cynical than most of these guys.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #12 - 07/26/12 at 20:19:37

You asked about the Mikuni VM carbs?

Yes, the VM 36 and 38 are upgrades to the stock carb. 36 is a better choice, if i recall correctly as the added size of the 38 doesn't do anything for us.

I just recently made the switch to a vm38 with a UFO installed. Carb was around $110, cable from barnett clutches was $55, spigot mount was $15 or so, then probably $30 in jets (because I messed around too much).

I'm still messing around the with the carb, but it IS an upgrade. Faster throttle response, smoother, etc. Though it does seem more temperamental when it comes to weather and elevation. I busted my stock carb up so I had to switch. Not sure if I'd do the switch on a whim unless I upgraded the engine internals (overbore, hot cam).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/26/12 at 20:30:16

Be careful with tyre mods, there's a lengthy post about car tyres blowing out when fitted to the rear,because of the high pressures need dt seat them to the bead.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 07/27/12 at 04:01:27

That applies more to radials than to good old fashioned bias ply tires. But you will have to shave the bead with either, and use a good tire mounting compound.

Otherwise you're looking at stepping up to a 16" rear hoop and running a quality bike tire. Specifically one meant for rear use on HD Geezer Glides (touring bikes).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Couple of Modding questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.