Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Couple of Modding questions (Read 369 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Couple of Modding questions
Reply #15 - 07/27/12 at 07:30:18

When you say "Cross country" how far exactly are you planning to go? Do you have a rough trip plan? That might help us to give advice too...

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #16 - 07/27/12 at 07:37:15

To WD: I have read the post about tire replacements, and am more or less confused. These tires aren't designed for the Savage, right? So the turkey carver process is to... shave off extra something or other? This allows it to mount to the stock rim?

To Spacepirates: So you're saying that while it is an upgrade, it is an unneccessary one. Unless I bore out something and put a hot cam in. Is that because it makes the engine run hotter, and the boring makes for a larger piston or something?

To Dave: Good advice, I will be taking it slow, but there isn't any harm in drawing up diagrams and fantasizing wistfully while I work is there?

To EJID: 140/90-19? What exactly do these numbers mean? And what are the advantages of having a larger back tire, exactly? Better MPG? or just looks/feel?

To Teabowl: Roughly, I'd be leaving Oregon around June, heading north to Seattle, the East through Canada to Ontario. Then Down through Michigan, and East again to the East coast, either in Maine or NY. Then down the east coast till Florida. Then West again till New Orleans. Then depending on several things, I'll either head back to Oregon, or to one of 5 different places.

This is a really long trip, but it wouldnt be constant, there would be at least 5-6 days of stop between jaunts. I'm going to be visiting a lot of people I met over the years. I did some research, and found that the Savage was a highly reccomended model for cross country, mostly for it's simplicity and gas economy. So my priorities as far as functionality is to increase travel distance/time per day.

Total Distance is roughly 5000 Miles. I've got a bit more than a year till I would be leaving, so I'm not in any rush to get out there. Hopefully ya'll don't think that I have made an error in getting the Savage for this trip. It's only gotta do it once! well maybe twice... Who knows? I'm planning on being gone for quite a while, at least 6 months.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/27/12 at 09:34:40

gutwrenchinggore wrote on 07/27/12 at 07:37:15:
To EJID: 140/90-19? What exactly do these numbers mean? And what are the advantages of having a larger back tire, exactly? Better MPG? or just looks/feel?

I hope that's an FN typo... 19? really?

140 width
90 aspect ratio or tire hight
19 rim size (should be 15)

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/27/12 at 10:31:27

WOW!
That's a really long trip... I'm jealous; it'll be a lot of years before I have the time to do anything like that.

A larger rear tire might make the bike ride smoother and slightly more comfortable. The 140/90/15 rear tire that these guys are recommending is just the size of the tire. You can find a lot of different brands and types out there. Also a lot of opinions on here about which tires are best. Look for a good long distance touring tire.

I believe that size motorcycle tire should fit right to your rim like normal. When you're talking about the post that discusses the turkey carver, I believe you are referring to the thread about using a MUCH larger car tire on the Savage. I definitely wouldn't recommend that for your needs, and if you read that whole thread, you'll see it's generally NOT recommended at all.

I wouldn't worry about changing the carburetor either. There are a few simple mods that you can do to the stock carb that will help performance, but the more you do to make the bike faster, the more you're going to lower your gas mileage. In your case, if you're happy with the stock bike's performance, which should be perfectly reasonable for that kind of traveling, I think you're best off leaving it alone. It'll also be easier if you do end up having problems on the road if you have a more-or less stock bike and need to find a mechanic to help you out in a pinch.

I'd be focused more on your shocks, springs, seat, and handlebars. All the things that are going to make you more comfortable. If your bike is older, I'd also be sure your steering bearings and other bearings are in good shape; wheel bearings, swingarm bushings etc...

You're going to be putting a lot of miles on that bike; a lot will depend on how old your Savage is and what kind of mechanical shape it's in. What's the bike you are starting out with?

Most importantly, if your Savage doesn't need one of these yet, it probably will before your trip is done. Might as well do it before you leave!!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/27/12 at 10:40:06

gutwrenchinggore wrote on 07/27/12 at 07:37:15:
Total Distance is roughly 5000 Miles. I've got a bit more than a year till I would be leaving, so I'm not in any rush to get out there. Hopefully ya'll don't think that I have made an error in getting the Savage for this trip. It's only gotta do it once! well maybe twice... Who knows? I'm planning on being gone for quite a while, at least 6 months.

What mileage is currently on the bike?

For a 5k trip, I'd want to know what the status of the cam chain adjuster is before hand and either swap in a new chain or a verslavy.

WWW   IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #20 - 07/27/12 at 12:14:53

To Verslagen: Its got 7600 miles on it right now, and a verslavy is one of the definite replacement parts I'm going to be getting. Just waiting on funds, which will start to appear once school starts up again, and I pay back my buddy who spotted me the loan to buy this beast. The bike was definitly not maintained very well, I've found quite a few little things that are eyebrow raising on it. Nothing big, just loose bolts where its kind of concerning.

I have decided what my first mod is going to be, however. I'm going to fabricate a seat bracket that fits into the existing configuration, and has the holes and whatnot to hook the stock seat in a different angle and height. Then longer handle bars to keep me from reaching forward and straining my lower back. We've got a whole bunch of aerospace quality aluminum piping out back that I can grab off of for free, and with a little luck and a lot of patience, I think I can increase this bikes comfortability for me by a bunch. Just need to take some measurements and figure out what angle would be best. This will require removing the back seat, but this isn't a passenger oriented build, so i figure that'll be alright. I'm hoping that by moving the seat back and up I can fit a bigger tank on, maybe like a 4 gal or bigger. I'm limited by the slimness of the frame for now though, as I don't want to be banging my knees on the sides of the tank. We'll see!

I'm probably gonna start a Project thread sometime in the next couple weeks. Soon as I get the seat mod on. Pics and commentary will abound!

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #21 - 07/27/12 at 12:22:46

To Teabowl: Yeah, it's alooootttt of miles, and I want to be as confident in this bike as possible. If a 140/90 will fit without having it explode or something, I'm in. I just priced out some decent harley tires of the two sizes reccomended, and that is totally doable, at least in the next couple months. And the verslavy cam tensioner is on the list. I've yet to open it up and clean and check everything, but it's running quite fine so far. It's my daily commuter for the next while, so taking it apart for a couple weeks is a bit in the future.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #22 - 07/27/12 at 13:09:25

Not to sound mean, but if you couldn't afford a beat-up Savage, how can you afford a 6+ month, 5000+ mile trip?

Sounds like a lot of sleeping on couches and spare-changing for gas money.  Tongue

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/27/12 at 14:44:44

Badass94Cad wrote on 07/27/12 at 13:09:25:
Not to sound mean, but if you couldn't afford a beat-up Savage, how can you afford a 6+ month, 5000+ mile trip?

Sounds like a lot of sleeping on couches and spare-changing for gas money.  Tongue

HEY MAN! When you gotta make things happen, you find a way to make them happen! Afford it-schmord it... just DO IT!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/27/12 at 14:49:30

Seriously, I think right now, if it's running good and you're riding it every day, that's the best thing you can be doing. Ride the pants off of it. put as much time in the saddle as you can. Getting familiar with the bike and how it fits you is the best thing you can do.

You'll find a lot of ideas on here from people who've modded everything under the sun on their bikes. Almost all of them are good ideas, but only you will know if they are good ideas for you.

As far as a bigger tank goes; there's a guy here who put a Harley tank on his for extra gas, and it was pretty easy for him as I recall. Also, there was a thread this week from a guy doing more of a cafe bike project who used a tank from a 1970's GT 550 I think. That went on pretty easy to according to him.

Most tank swaps (such as mine... ho ho ho...) are not so easy...

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #25 - 07/27/12 at 17:00:36

To Cad: Wasn't that I couldn't afford it, just that I didn't have the cash up front. My friend agreed to spot me the cash for a couple months, So right now my priority is paying him back. When you've got a friend willing to spot you a grand or so randomly, you work to keep that friend happy, y'know.

To Teabowl: All sound advice, and things I am considering. All these ideas are merely ideas. What becomes real is probably going to look nothing like what I have in mind now. And the bigger tank is just an economic consideration, time wise. I'd rather have to stop every 150 miles on a 5000 mile trip. I think a 4 gal, with around 50mpg, is a bit more reasonable. About 3 hours between mandatory stops is good, and hopefully I'll have made this bike a fricken easy chair with wheels.

In general, I know I want a bigger tank, and I know I want to at least bring the seat up and back 3 or 4 inches. I'm in dreaming stage, dreaming up what would be awesome. Couple weeks I'll be in reality stage, where I try to make my actually feasible ideas work.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 07/27/12 at 18:20:44

I think the tank was 500 not 550

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/28/12 at 03:46:03

According to the experts here the 140/90 15 makes the speedo read correct. I'm only quoting what they say. Another expert favours a 130/90 15 and I'm only

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 07/28/12 at 05:31:57

140/90-15 isn't any wider than the stock tire, just 14 mm taller sidewalls. 130/90-15 has a rounder profile when correctly inflated and goes into curves easier, the bike will lean faster.

If you really want to run a big tank, your options are limited by how compact a distance you have from forks to seat. And by the fact you are dealing with a flared out frame roughly 1/3 of the way up from the rear of the tank. To fit the 4.75 gallon tank I really want to run I'd have to stretch the frame 6 or 8 inches. Not that big a deal, I could use the extra reach, even with 15" apes it gets crowded as is. The tank I have now is an old unit from the send to the melt yard pile at a bike graveyard I used to work at. Same capacity as stock, but the shape allows for better leg positioning.

I wish I got 100-150 miles to the tank. With 15" rise handlebars and my 6'2" 225# self as a sail, I get 36 mpg on a good day. Still better than any of my cages.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Couple of Modding questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.