Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Knocking, whining, loud sewing machine (Read 275 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Knocking, whining, loud sewing machine
07/25/12 at 18:04:24

My "87 has started making new noises. Low end knocking on the left side when accelerating, valve noise, loud whining whenever on the throttle at all, and when I spread my legs away from the gas tank when moving, 10-45 mph, it sounds like a REALLY LOUD sewing machine. Engine noises are becoming louder than the Harley exhaust. Seems to be loudest when clutch is engaged.
Also, It's still getting that random high idle, when the valves make more noise and the exhaust gets quieter.  Almost as though the timing has somehow skipped a tooth. Or the slider is seriously sticking, thus flooding the motor. I have about 22,000 miles on it, OE timing chain, verslavy installed.

Any thoughts?

P.S. This is the motor that took the damage from the BIG rock 2 years ago.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Knocking, whining, loud sewing machine
Reply #1 - 07/25/12 at 18:54:14

Drain the oil into a clean, non metallic pan, sweep it with a magnet. Do an autopsy on the filter,, see if theres garbage in it, if so, something is Dying,

How does it act when youre starting it? If you pull the plug wire & just crank it,, does it sound wrong?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/25/12 at 18:57:25

drums1 wrote on 07/25/12 at 18:04:24:
P.S. This is the motor that took the damage from the BIG rock 2 years ago.

I was gonna' suggest,.. checking the front pulley... When it's loose, it goes from a tick to knock as it loosens...
... but, that big rock is a big clue...
I suspect bad news...

It might be time to hunt for a donor... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/25/12 at 19:13:14

whining is serious, let me tell you.
pick yourself up a low mileage Singer the 1st chance you get.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/25/12 at 19:31:19

Ya, the whining has gotten steadily worse over the last year or so. Once, when I put vaseline on the belt, I thought the noise went away some, but now it doesn't seem to make much difference. Clutch engaged, on throttle, whine. Let off gas or clutch in, whine gone.

Jog, when starting cold it starts right up, but then jumps to high idle all by itself. Rev it up and sometimes it goes back to normal idle, sometimes not. Once warmed up it seems to run ok, for the most part. Until I stop at a store or something for a few minutes. Then it gets stuck on high idle, and I have to back off the throttle stop screw to get the idle back down to normal.

Verslagen....low mileage singer, as in new bike??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 20:18:47

drums1 wrote on 07/25/12 at 19:31:19:
Verslagen....low mileage singer, as in new bike??

engine or bike... depends on what's available.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 21:15:00

Well,, Im curious about why it would jump to high idle, but, based on Versys post,, Im gonna say it is no big deal right now,, he is focused on the whining, & like The Boat says, a big rock encounter could have been the beginning of the end., You mita got some tiny bits in the sump that got in the oil pump & startrd its decline, Id have to have a look at the oil & filter, mite be revealing.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 02:37:27

drums1 wrote on 07/25/12 at 19:31:19:
Jog, when starting cold it starts right up, but then jumps to high idle all by itself. Rev it up and sometimes it goes back to normal idle, sometimes not. Once warmed up it seems to run ok, for the most part. Until I stop at a store or something for a few minutes. Then it gets stuck on high idle, and I have to back off the throttle stop screw to get the idle back down to normal.

Whoa! Now that's interesting, my 87 does the same exact thing. Well it did but I pulled the motor and am rebuilding it at least partially. 17000 miles and chain tensioner was hanging like a V and riding the primary gear with a big groove worn in the back of it. Got it apart just in time. All the noise I was getting makes sense but not the idle jumping up like it does.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 03:16:24

The idle jump sounds like a fuel metering problem... sticky slide or something...
I'd go ahead and check that front pulley for tight... to stop the knock. (just in case)... (don't trust looking or feeling with fingers, go ahead and flatten the lock washer, crank it down big time, and refold the washer to lock)...

Are you raptored?... If not, check that, too... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #9 - 07/26/12 at 03:25:10

I had a problem with intermittent high idle a couple years ago.  It was a dirty/sticking slide.  I have never used seafoam, but everyone seems to think it is Gods gift to the motorcycle world.  You might give it a try.  I just used the brute force take-it-apart-and-clean-it method.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/26/12 at 06:27:08

Serowbot, can I do the pulley tightening right through the timing cap, or do I gotta remove that side cover altogether? And if so, I assume there's a gasket there? And...is this the nut that's bassackwards threaded?

Is650v, I tried the seafoam thing twice--no positive results. I was thinking stuck slide too, but it has done this for quite a while actually.....ever since the guy worked on it 1 1/2 years ago. I think Imma finally pull the carb and see what's up. I've been trying to avoid that, since it's a biotch to pull the carb.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/26/12 at 08:37:25

Serowbot wrote on 07/26/12 at 03:16:24:
The idle jump sounds like a fuel metering problem... sticky slide or something...
I'd go ahead and check that front pulley for tight... to stop the knock. (just in case)... (don't trust looking or feeling with fingers, go ahead and flatten the lock washer, crank it down big time, and refold the washer to lock)...

Are you raptored?... If not, check that, too... Wink...

Some people believe in the Pre Tribulation Raptor, or, changing it before you have troubles..
Others believe in the Post Tribulation Raptor, only changing it after youve suffered an extended period of time & worked to understand why.
What have you done to deserve this?

Once the washer is flattened out, I would loosen the nut & feel how much slop is in the teeth,,
& theres no way I could stand to not autopsy the oil filter,

I saw your ? to Rowboat,

YOu gotta pull the front pulley cover, IIRC, its just 3 bolts. Keep an eye out for the rubber thingies,,

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 07/26/12 at 10:12:48

drums1 wrote on 07/26/12 at 06:27:08:
Serowbot, can I do the pulley tightening right through the timing cap, or do I gotta remove that side cover altogether? And if so, I assume there's a gasket there? And...is this the nut that's bassackwards threaded?

Is650v, I tried the seafoam thing twice--no positive results. I was thinking stuck slide too, but it has done this for quite a while actually.....ever since the guy worked on it 1 1/2 years ago. I think Imma finally pull the carb and see what's up. I've been trying to avoid that, since it's a biotch to pull the carb.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.....

I'll answer for Serowbot -
The front pulley has its own cover separate from the timing cap/generator cover. And you WILL have to remove the pulley cover, the one directly rear-ward from the generator cover; as well, you will (or SHOULD) have to flatten the locking washer under the nut. The nut tightens like any regular nut - clockwise.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #13 - 07/26/12 at 12:30:39

It's a 32 mm nut and using the right socket makes a big difference. Don't just use a pair of vice grips cuz you will end up rounding the darn thing off.

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #14 - 07/26/12 at 15:03:42

verslagen1 wrote on 07/25/12 at 19:13:14:
whining is serious, let me tell you.
pick yourself up a low mileage Singer the 1st chance you get.

Some of us did actually get the Singer (as in sewing machine) reference. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:24:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking, whining, loud sewing machine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.