Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
possibly terrible clutch problem (Read 102 times)
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
possibly terrible clutch problem
07/25/12 at 07:36:00

Hello! I recently bought my 99, and have loved it. I'm excited to modify this baby. But every time I try to shift down to first at speeds above 15 or so mph, the lever "flutters". I've read some threads on the clutch cam inside the engine being adjusted incorrectly causing damage to the cam. This motorcycle was mistreated rather heavily in it's life with the previous owner. He used it as a lumber rack in his garage for years. So I was anticipating a certain amount of repair work. any ideas and or useful links?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: possibly terrible clutch problem
Reply #1 - 07/25/12 at 07:38:41

Wellllll.. you really shouldn't be shifting down to 1st at that speed.
What you looking to do?  Pop the clutch and use it for a brake?

Yes, my shift acts the same way.  It's nature's way of saying you are going to fast to put it in that gear.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/25/12 at 08:43:40

Flutters?  Im a bit confused about the symptoms.  This bike really doesnt like high RPMs.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/25/12 at 09:17:40

The cam dogs won't engage at that speed, you feel them slipping over each other (that's your flutter sensation).

If you FORCED them to engage anyway you'd likely chip the leading edge of a dog or two -- not something you want to do.

You might want to stop abusing your first gear.  You engage it when you are nearly stopped and when you go again you shift out of it then stay out of it until you are nearly stopped again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 07/25/12 at 10:04:01

Oh good, its just me being an idiot. I've only been riding for 6 months or so, and I had a 250 Rebel before this. I am much happier with the fit of this bike, being 6'3'' and 210lbs.

On another note, is the whirring kind of sound when in first and moving just a result of being in too low a gear for my speed? Specifically, if I shift into first while coasting down my driveway, it feels like it drags the motorcycle back. I've read a couple threads about this issue, but none of them seemed to address directly what is the cause of this. I have changed my oil as one thread suggested, with no result either way. Is this something I should worry about, or is it just a quirk of the savage?

Thank you all for your quick reply, I will strive not to %#@! up my savage. Hopefully, with all ya'lls incredibly patient advice for an admittedly ignorant motorcycle noob, I can get the Big Bad Wolf ready for a big trip.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 11:33:19

Dear Gutwrenchinggore:  (I never really figured that I would type those words together).

The 650cc single is a torque monster, and it has a lot more compression braking than your previous bike.  There is really no reason to rev this bike up for normal riding...let the torgue do the work.  Don't load it up with lots of throttle at low rpms if you feel the engine vibrating from being "lugged" - lugging is a term used to describe running an engine at low speeds and high throttle settings, and you can feel the engine shaking or straining as the pressures in the cylinder is high and the piston can't move down as fast as the expansion of the gases inside the cylinder.  Winding the engine out excessively or downshifting at high speeds is not necessary and not the reason we like owning a big single.    This is a very mildly tuned engine and will run just fine at low rpms.....just get used to riding it smoothly and work within it's limitations.  It is a darn fun little cruiser.....not a high revving sport bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 11:45:56

Well, thank jehosofat that I found this resource! I probably would have continued to try riding it like the extremely forgiving rebel. I can now start relearning my stop and start habits. I had asked my friend, who has owned and ridden a motorcycle for many many years, what was different between my previous ride and this one. He said nothing. Which makes me think that I will be saving my questions for people of this forum. I have other questions, but they are a bit more long term modding than immediate maintenance and care.

Thank ya'll again, someday I hope to return the favor you are all paying me to someone else as ignorant as myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › possibly terrible clutch problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.