IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Oil analysis tool
Reply #1 - 07/25/12 at 05:56:48

I read the detail and I like the feature that flashes a red light if it detects water or anti-freeze in the oil. Just what we need to stay on top of those pesky head gasket leaks ....oh, never mind.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/25/12 at 06:36:49

I know a guy at a shop who bought one of those can openers for the oil filters.
He darn near drove himself nuts over analyzing what was inside. He stopped opening filters and just drove the cars.

--Steve

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 07/25/12 at 10:41:35

I've always known that scheduled maintenance (time & mileage) is purely arbitrary.   It depends not only on time & mileage, but also on the vehicle itself, moisture, how driven, and the external environment such as temp and humidity, etc.  In short, there are many other variables.  Since I was a kid I was taught to go by the color of used oil (blacker is worse) when its age was unknown.   However, acidity is probably a better measure of serviceability, which of course, you can't see.  (BTW, used motor oil is a carcinogen)

I'll probably get one of these because I am a gadget freak anyway.  I like the 1 to 10 scale readout, and it will be interesting to watch the oil reach it's service limit over time and then compare that against what is recommended.   I plan to use it on all my vehicles.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/25/12 at 11:09:55

360+. I agree with everything you said. If you pull the trigger, let us know how it works out.

I read up on the process on their site and found one other source. It seems that the gadget measures the electrical capacity of the oil, which, when new, is essentially zero, a non-conductor. Apparently as contaminates build up over time, the oil becomes increasingly conductive. I will leave it to the engineers and other smart people to chime in here if this can be a true measure of the useful life of the oil.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 11:49:04

Blinky-FSO wrote on 07/25/12 at 11:09:55:
360+. I agree with everything you said. If you pull the trigger, let us know how it works out.

I read up on the process on their site and found one other source. It seems that the gadget measures the electrical capacity of the oil, which, when new, is essentially zero, a non-conductor. Apparently as contaminates build up over time, the oil becomes increasingly conductive. I will leave it to the engineers and other smart people to chime in here if this can be a true measure of the useful life of the oil.

I still need to fully read the specs and theory of operation, but the conductance factor that you mention does make sense since acidity increases free electrons (if my 40 year old college chemistry classes still serve me?).   Anyway, when I get the unit I will offer my commentary here on the forum.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 15:49:28

BTW, here is a better demo viddy...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/25/12 at 16:36:01

Me,.. I just taste it... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/25/12 at 18:03:22

OIl, clean oil, is an insuloator,

Transformer oil or insulating oil is usually a highly- refined mineral oil that is stable at high temperatures and has excellent electrical insulating properties.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil - Cached

Not recommended as an ice cream topping,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/12 at 20:17:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/12 at 18:03:22:

Keeps you regular.

--Steve

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #10 - 07/26/12 at 05:37:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/12 at 18:03:22:

Fry up some bacon in it?  Tongue

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/26/12 at 20:17:29

Can I just use my ohm meter to test it?

Thats how I do the colloidal silver, I start with distilled water & pretty close to Infinite resistance, then I watch as the resistance drops, eventually it stops dropping so fast,, then I shut it off.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 08:42:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/26/12 at 20:17:29:
Can I just use my ohm meter to test it?

Thats how I do the colloidal silver, I start with distilled water & pretty close to Infinite resistance, then I watch as the resistance drops, eventually it stops dropping so fast,, then I shut it off.,.

I am not sure what method they are using with this gadget.   They say they are taking a "capacitive reading", so they may be calculating a reactance or impedance thing (AC or sweep frequency).  VOMs measure DC resistance, but it might be worth a try.   You'd have to document the resistance in some type of controlled environment and/or container, and use it consistently.

Out of curiosity, why do you need colloidal silver?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/29/12 at 10:19:38

Its just handy to have around. I took a wart off my kids foot with it, solved a serious case of athletes foot. No matter what I did, it just kept coming back. Apparently I had a deep seated fungal infection from the PH imbalance caused by the heavy metals,I drank it & wore socks that I would get wet by putting my feet in a bag & pouring some in, then Id wear flip flops so they wouldnt give up their dampness to the carpet,I havent had a problem in years.
I havent had any around in a couple of years, its time to make up another gallon,,Stuff costs a lot to buy, but a few feet of silver wire & a glass jar & a DC power source & you can make several gallons, Wires last for several gallons & 6 feet of 16 gauge will make a LOT of it,
The wire is kinda hard to get, tho, & it Simply MUST be at least 99% pure & the 1% that isnt silver cant be something that will screw you up,.I found 99.9% last time, I hope I can again,
Oddly, the catalog said specifically "Not for making colloidal silver",,

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #14 - 07/30/12 at 07:47:01

Hmmm, I hadn't heard of those "cures" with using the silver.   Of course, I don't have any of those particular problems, so it kinda makes sense.   My problems are mostly metabolic; i.e., gout and arthritis.

I have about 25 lbs of .999 silver I bought many years ago at around $5..$7 per ounce.   It's mostly 100oz bars, but I have some 1oz trade tokens (coin) too.  Maybe I'll try and make some of the schtuff using a token.   My wife was in the hosp last month for an abscess surgery and had to use silver strips in the wound.   It has mostly healed now, but I wonder if a topical application of the colloid might help finish the job?

Sorry, I guess I've hijacked my own thread     Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oil analysis tool

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.