Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new tank! (Read 513 times)
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: new tank!
Reply #15 - 08/08/12 at 22:19:47

here are some mock up pics - the tank is sitting a bit higher than it should because it wont sit any lower right now.

i was briefly thinking about how it would ride if i mounted the tank a little higher on the frame, but then the seat would have to be raised up as well and i think it won't feel very good to ride.

until i get the tank figured out, i cant really mount the seat stuff until i know how it needs to fit in relation to the tank.

i am really liking how this is looking so far...it is going to be worth the work (hopefully!) I eventually want to mod the swing arm so I can fit a bigger rear tire on it.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/08/12 at 23:26:15

Looking good! I agree that the tank needs to be lower. Aside from the ergonomic factor of interference with your private parts it doesn't "flow" right. The bottom of the tank should match the bottom of the seat in a straight line, at least in my opinion. That's what I'm shooting for in my Street Tracker build. Here's an example of the look.

In order to get the tank to sit lower you will have to do a lot of massaging with a BFH. The petcock mounting area will be destroyed in all probability during this operation.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #17 - 08/09/12 at 00:23:38

I would modify the frame before cutting into that tank.  Cut the single backbone closer towards the neck and then fab in tubes parallel to the seat.  If you use gradually diverting rails the tank should slip right over.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/11/12 at 19:08:39

the welding work that this tank will need to fit the savage is not something i think i want to tackle. I am starting to look into other tanks that will fit the savage frame without hqving to cut either the tank or the. The suzuki gt550 tank is one that fits easily, does anyone know of others?

Also i am wondering if anyone would be interested in fitting th tank to their savage for me? I like this tank so much that i would ve willing to pay for it to be modified to fit if anyone thinks they coud tackle it. I would ship the tank to you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 11/11/12 at 19:13:20

Hey, Thomas,, you got toe traps on that bicycle?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/11/12 at 19:20:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/11/12 at 19:13:20:

What are those?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 11/11/12 at 19:53:09

They hold your feet on the pedals. They have a steel band that has a plate on it that mounts on the side of the pedal that comes up & over & stops on top of the foot, with a strap that goes across the foot in front of the arch.

You can lift with your toes when the foot is coming up & change which muscles are working. Ive seen "Get a ticket" speeds on 40 MPH roads with only a slight ( 10 to 15 is slight there)tail wind in Odessa..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/11/12 at 20:12:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/11/12 at 19:53:09:
They hold your feet on the pedals. They have a steel band that has a plate on it that mounts on the side of the pedal that comes up & over & stops on top of the foot, with a strap that goes across the foot in front of the arch.

You can lift with your toes when the foot is coming up & change which muscles are working. Ive seen "Get a ticket" speeds on 40 MPH roads with only a slight ( 10 to 15 is slight there)tail wind in Odessa..

Oh i didnt realize you were asking about the bicycle.
I actually have some egg beater pedals installed and love them, they make such a difference

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 11/11/12 at 20:27:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/11/12 at 19:13:20:

Yea,, I can see how ya mita been confused.. I shoulda been more specific..  Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new tank!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.