Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cycle World ... July issue (Read 173 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Cycle World ... July issue
07/23/12 at 18:46:42

"Up Front" section (by Mark Hoyer)

He starts by mentioning the Suzuki TU250 single and how it would make a good 250 Grasstracker.
Then he says:  "Consider also that the $5399 S40 (Savage) 650cc Single cruiser is being converted by Ryca Motors into a cafe-style machine.  Suzuki, somebody is building a business selling your bike to a market you clearly aren't reaching.  Oh, and by the way, Ryca is working on a scrambler version of the S40, too.  Build your own 650 Grasstracker and call it the Really Bigboy, Suzuki ?"

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Cycle World ... July issue
Reply #1 - 07/23/12 at 19:16:50

Lancer, I subscribe and saw that. I like the way they "called out" Suzuki.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/23/12 at 20:10:48

Sure would be nice of someone at Suzuki was listening.
I have no doubt they'd sell a lot more 650 grass trackers than they will 650 Gladius, and they'd doubtless be cheaper to manufacture!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/23/12 at 22:42:37

Actually, I hope Suzuki changes nothing,,Those RYCA dudes have worked their butts off to develop their product. They saw a market & went in swinging. I would hate to see Suzuki knock their legs out from under them by offering a bike to compete with them. Let people buy their kits & parts & mess with their own bikes,, & lets hope those Ryca guys make a good living selling stuff to people who want a different style Savage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/24/12 at 00:46:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/23/12 at 22:42:37:
Actually, I hope Suzuki changes nothing,,Those RYCA dudes have worked their butts off to develop their product. They saw a market & went in swinging. I would hate to see Suzuki knock their legs out from under them by offering a bike to compete with them. Let people buy their kits & parts & mess with their own bikes,, & lets hope those Ryca guys make a good living selling stuff to people who want a different style Savage.

I don't see Suzuki going all the way to a Street tracker or bobber or scrambler, so Ryca is in no danger in that regard, but it would be good for Suzuki to offer a "standard" type version bike using the LS650 engine.  It would still be in the same price point as it is now but just with a sitting up seating position, flat seat, mid foot controls and less rake on the front end....and an upgraded front brake system  and rear shocks.  They have parts in their inventory they can use right  now so cost is negligible.  
Sales would increase and it would be a very good platform from which Ryca can make more kits.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 07/24/12 at 03:38:38

Right On!! Suzuki got called out in print!! Would absolutely LOVE to see Suzuki market a retro-Standard (or a Cafe, or a Street Tracker) Bike based on the LS650!! I'd be ALL OVER THAT LIKE FLIES ON POO!!!!!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/24/12 at 04:38:03

I don't see how Suzuki got called out. The Ryca is for a niche market and a very small one at that. Suzuki would lose their ass on developing a cafe racer.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 07/24/12 at 05:08:09

Lancer said, "but it would be good for Suzuki to offer a "standard" type version bike using the LS650 engine. "

I agree.  As a fan of the "standard" bikes I grew up with, I would really like to see a standard made with this motor.

I doubt it would sell, though.  I had a 1981 Yamaha SR500 that was basically what we are talking about here.  I loved it, but it never sold very well in the U.S.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/24/12 at 10:20:26

I think the two could easily work together by offering kits from Ryca through dealerships.  The options' availability could increase sales of the base bike not to mention the kits themselves (or the labor of the dealership's employees converting bikes for folks that don't want to do it themselves).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/24/12 at 10:39:01

Lots of bikers say they want a "Standard"...
.. but when the companies make them, they don't sell...
Remember the Kawa W650?..  great bike, just didn't sell...
Yama SR500?...
Honda GB500?...
All short lived...
I'll bet Suzi 250 don't last more than 2 or three years...

I like them too... I just can't afford to buy a new bike...
Maybe,.. it's those of us with used bike wallets, that like standards... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #10 - 07/24/12 at 10:44:10

I'd love to see Zuk offer our engine with electronics, in a box for a cheap price. Let us build whatever we want with it! Cool

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #11 - 07/24/12 at 11:13:19

Serowbot wrote on 07/24/12 at 10:39:01:
I like them too... I just can't afford to buy a new bike...

That's the main issue... also, whether or not you can even find them on the used market for a reasonable price.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/24/12 at 12:29:05

Let's not forget that the Savage didn't sell all that well, either. It was brought out about 1985, and only lasted a few years before it was withdrawn (at least from the US market). It came back after the cruiser market developed, and Suzuki needed a low-cost entry-level cruiser.

A while back I was chatting with my local Suzuki dealer, and asked him how many Savage/S40s he'd sold. Bear in mind this guy has been dealing in the same building since the middle '60s. His answer - "Not all that many."

Edited to add: I don't believe Suzuki is likely to worry much about the RYCA conversions. After all, every one of them starts off with a Savage/S40 that Suzuki sold in the first place. Someone above commented that Suzuki should sell an engine and electronics separately (though there was also something about a cheap price). I believe Suzuki would be happy to sell a replacement S40 engine, and any other parts you'd like to order. You likely wouldn't get much price break unless you ordered in quantity, though.

« Last Edit: 07/24/12 at 18:03:01 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:18:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cycle World ... July issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.