Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cool Harley at AMA Vintage Bike Show (Read 158 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Cool Harley at AMA Vintage Bike Show
07/22/12 at 04:39:45

My wife and I went to the AMA Vintage bike show at Mid Ohio yesterday.  Lot's or really cool bikes and a lots to see and do.  One of the bikes that really caught our attention was this Harley that used a modern engine, lights, brakes and controls - but was built to look like a really early bike.  The size was considerably bigger than an early bike would be - as it had to work with that big engine.  The brass headlight had a modern sealed beam hidden inside.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cool Harley at AMA Vintage Bike Show
Reply #1 - 07/22/12 at 05:33:36

I like the idea, & its well executed, I like the color scheme allright, the base color w/ creme contrast, but the blue doesnt knock me out,,mite be period perfect tho, for all I know, I probably would have tried to make the exhaust look more period & less performance.

I sure thot Schwinn had some excellent paint schemes back in the day. With their Base & Creme schemes, ,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/22/12 at 21:01:09

I'm a bit confused as to why they'd use that sport-bike canister for a muffler. With the amount of fabrication involved in that bike, I'm baffled by the lack of a custom-fab muffler as well.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/23/12 at 05:39:23

That muffler caught my eye too, but I gotta say, all nit-picking aside; That's pretty slick!
I gotta wonder how that rides. It sure would be a sight to see something like that fly by on the freeway at 80mph!! Just humming along smooth as glass...

Thanks for posting these! I really miss getting out to MId-Ohio. It's just too far away from me now. I'm jealous. Don't be afraid to post more photos from your trip. I'd love to see them!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/23/12 at 16:24:03

That canister muffler IS a period correct style, just a bit oversized. Early mufflers weren't anything fancy.

Shame the builder poisoned all that work with an Evo Sportster engine... an Ironhead Sportster or K model flattie would have been perfect. An Ironhead with Knucklehead rocker boxes (pretty easy conversion) would have been beyond perfect.

Can you imagine that with one of Flathead Power's replica Indian Scout Jr (30.50 cubic inch) flathead engines... bike-gasm. Not sure they make that one anymore though since S&S bought them out...maybe Kiwi has it now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/24/12 at 07:35:43

teabowl13 wrote on 07/23/12 at 05:39:23:
Thanks for posting these! I really miss getting out to MId-Ohio. It's just too far away from me now. I'm jealous. Don't be afraid to post more photos from your trip. I'd love to see them!

I really didn't take many photos.  I only took pictures of this Harley, a Gold Wing Cafe Racer that had big carbs on it.......I have a neighbor that took his 4 carbs off his Goldwing and put a single VW carb on so he didn't have to synch carbs anymore.....I wanted to show him this Goldwing.

IMG_0377.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 07/24/12 at 09:32:30

"Goldwing cafe racer" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/25/12 at 00:03:35

THANKS DAVE! Actually I used to own a '75 Goldwing for a while. Great bike, but I didn't love it enough to keep forever. I've seen that carb conversion done a few times with the old Goldwings, and the single VW carbs too.
I was amazed myself at how many "Cafe Racers" were being built out of those old things. Even the lightest one around must weigh as much as two of our Suzuki's plus a stout passenger!

Glad you enjoyed the weekend! Cheers.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 16:14:08

Something about it was bugging me and I finally figured out what it is: The fenders are too modern for the tank. It needs bigger fenders, not the tire huggers it has.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/26/12 at 18:35:00

Pretty accurate for late teens or early 20s. I've had bikes from 1915 (Henderson), 1920 (HD Sport Twin), 2 from 1928 (Indian Scouts), one from 36 and one from 38 (both Indian Chiefs). They all had fenders that looked too small. Basically just the spare tire ring off an old sedan. Or widened bicycle fenders stamped out of heavier tin.

It could use another inch or so fender gap to be more period.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cool Harley at AMA Vintage Bike Show

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.