Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: bike smoking black
Reply #15 - 07/22/12 at 01:05:36

He is getting too many instructional paths from too many helpers.  

Also, he doesn't realize one diaphragm from the other with too many people talking to him at the same time.

We need to remove trouble causes by entire segments, applying the tests that give us the most information for the least effort.

Mystery "carb problems" seem to fall into two camps, petcock related and carburetor issues cased by age/wear/incorrect disassembly/reassembly.

Play the odds people, you know that both things can fail, but you can remove one entire trouble segment (the one that happens to fail the most) with a simple Serowbot's test.  

Instead, you have sent him off into a romp into internal carburetor land without shrinking the area of investigation any at all.   Indeed, the investigation is now wide open with no functional areas removed at all.   The man is sitting at GO minus a carb teardown.  Dozerman is now actually adding to his potential issues with every subsystem he takes apart ....

He is already deep into his carb now and he still has excess fuel flow at lower speeds.   Actually, he may have it all the time, but it is possibly masked at higher speeds by the bike's larger fuel consumption at full speed.  Air filter needs to be checked, sure, but frankly but a blocked filter would bog and choke off at high speeds and his issues are all at low speed.  Plus he says he's checked the air filter already -- and he says he's done no mods at all -- bike is stock.  

Verslagen, might want to read the entire thread over again slowly from the beginning since new information is popping up in old posts.   Might want to read his last 25 posts to catch a feel for what technical level Dozerman has shown so far.

Dozerman, listen to Verslagen, and tell him what you have taken apart recently.

The rest of you guys might want take a break for a minute and let Verslagen handle it for a while (myself included).

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 02:05:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 07/22/12 at 07:04:10

I don't know which mod is screwing with threads, answering them internally, and for all I know changing them entirely. I think it needs to stop.

Hmmmm .... he writes in red ink in #9 font, gee that does sound like Oldfeller.    

Roll Eyes

Obviously he could go in and change your words, he's a moderator and to him the whole list is an open book.  But he bothers to put in in a different case size and color so you know its him.

So why does he bother to put it in a different color and font right inside the post itself?   Maybe it is to answer the question or offer moderation/guidance (ie do his job).    

He thinks it is better to do it where it occurs rather than 4-5 posts down stream, that way it is clear exactly what it pertains to.    It also saves time and bandwidth.

You want me to put a little OF in front of them so you know its me, or do you understand it better now?  

BTW, your point is not very valid (and I think you already know this) because any edited post shows the person who did the last edit and the date/timestamp of the last edit, so if someone was nefariously sneaking in and changing your posts it would be obvious to everybody.

Grin   OF

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 11:55:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 07/22/12 at 07:06:23

Charon wrote on 07/22/12 at 07:04:10:
I don't know which mod is screwing with threads, answering them internally, and for all I know changing them entirely. I think it needs to stop.

Its Oldfellow he changes my all the time.

OF      Bill, in your case moderation is needed a lot of times.   Your words stay unchanged, though.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 12:01:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 07/22/12 at 07:10:59

That's who I think it is, too, but I was trying to get him to own up to it himself. As far as I am concerned it makes the entire Forum untrustworthy.

OF    Gee, that's a shame -- the whole Forum is untrustworthy because a moderator actually moderated something.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 11:59:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/22/12 at 07:16:07

Huhh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 07/22/12 at 07:19:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/22/12 at 07:16:07:
Huhh?

Did you just get up ? Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/22/12 at 09:25:08

So I sent with my wife for a ride and she says she hears something click by her left leg before bike acts up and stalls. The only thing I see by her left leg is the Cdi module. Does this make any sense ???

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 07/22/12 at 10:07:13

Well,, its the pacemaker,, it quits & the heart stops pumping,, maybe its loose? Id pull the cover, & have a good look at the connector, even if its seated all the way,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 07/22/12 at 10:23:46

How does that make black smoke ? Burnt wires ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/22/12 at 11:11:23

Went for a ride myself with the petcock vacuum hose plugged and it is way better. So gonna go for a longer ride in town where there's more stop and go traffic to test it out.( fingers crossed )

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 07/22/12 at 11:16:55

If you leave the ig on say overnite, there's a possibility that the current draw from the coil will burn out a chip in the cdi.

hope it's not, cdi's are like hen's teeth.

there's also a decomp controller that might explain a 'click' and crap out.
when activated it sends a signal to the cdi to retard the timing.

but also look and see if the decomp is activated.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 07/22/12 at 12:36:29

An open exhaust valve would make it run REal Bad,,

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 07/22/12 at 13:10:03

I realize moderators have the ability to modify, delete, and move posts, and I accept that as a necessary part of Forum management. My comments were roused by the "How hot is too hot" thread, in which threads were modified (yes, in red small font) but which did NOT have the "last modified" tag line. As long as there is no way threads can be modified without alerting readers, I have no problems. That thread, however, demonstrates otherwise.

I also understand the rationale for answering a question in the post in which it was posed. But this is the only Forum in which I have seen that happen, and as a result I, for one, probably wouldn't look in my own post for a reply.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/22/12 at 13:28:41

Would those have been my own posts, by any chance?

I generally put my punch lines in #9 red and have for years and years before I became a moderator.

================

Now, back to Dozerman and his problems.

Dozerman, you have now done the Serowbot test and you have verified you have a bad vac petcock.

Vac petcocks can do quite a few bad things when they act up -- some very different sorts of bad things.

In that Tech we mentioned Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime.. there are listed a bunch of things that bad vac petcocks can do.  The list looks like this:

List of Things That Tell You It May Be Raptor Time

1)  Your bike stumbles or acts like it is running out of gas when you are going over 55 mph and then when you get to the pump you can't put in 2 full gallons of gasoline.

2)  Your bike dies on you and you play bloody hell getting it to start again (you can't get any gas from your sick vac petcock no matter what you do to try to get it to start).

3)  When you get a reserve situation and roll the vac petcock toggle to Reserve, the bike continues to stumble for nearly a minute before slowly picking up some power and speed as you struggle to get to a gas station.

4)  You get all sorts of abrupt indications your carburetor is dirty or your jetting suddenly went off (and you haven't changed your exhaust system or air filter system).   Especially applies if SeaFoam, etc has NO EFFECT on your "carburetor issues" whatsoever when you try it.

5)  You smell gasoline either coming from your vac suction line, your airbox or from your oil fill port when you unscrew it (so you can sniff your oil in the sump for the scent of gasoline) because you suspect you have one of the above going on and "it may be Raptor Time".

You are complaining of things that are on this list.   Rather than chasing mysterious electrical issues first off (when you simply have some other known symptoms of a bad vac sucker) why don't you get rid of the vac sucker and see if you problems don't decrease greatly, both number of problems and severity of problems.  

Put a Raptor on it.   This will remove a whole host of problem symptoms.

Once the vac sucker is gone, the murky water is much much lower, and it is a lot easier to see the causes of the remaining issues (if any).  This has been our experience with lots of other folks who have been where you are now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/22/12 at 17:26:30

Ok went for a 70 mile ride with petcock on pri and vac hose plugged and my wife says bike has never ran so good!!! So now to find a raptor.........

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike smoking black

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.