Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can someone clarify some muffler confusion for me? (Read 130 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can someone clarify some muffler confusion for me?
07/21/12 at 09:58:07

Because of some progressive suspension problems I'm having (see post just below), I'm sort of forced to replace my stock muffler.

Also I've read the harley muffler guide, so you need not link to it.

When exactly do I need to have an angled piece of pipe for the replacement muffler? I read something about a muffler hitting the rear brake without it, is it only when the muffler is long enough to get to the brake shoe arm, or does it need to be angled out no matter what?

I would absolutely love to do this without having to rejet if that's conceivable.  Does this depend on the backpressure (i.e. freeflowing mufflers with little backpressure require more of a change in jets than mufflers with a lot of back pressure)?

How do I determine what sort of backpressure I'm going to get out of a muffler? I like the looks of shorty mufflers, but I don't like loud exhaust and I don't imagine they give much back pressure (I think most I've seen are free flowing).  I care far more about performance than sound.  Is there a cheap shorty muffler with a removable baffle that I can just pack the bajeezus out of (like an EMGO) to get backpressure, or do I need something longer and chambered?

Also, as far as installation goes, is this essentially the process:

Remove current muffler (by unbolting from the mount rail and unclamping from the header pipe)
Slip a muffler that should go over 1 3/4 inch pipe, shim if necessary and clamp back down
ghetto bolt the rail bolts to the rail mount in some way?

Thanks again everyone.  I'd like to get this done so I can RIDE again. Sad

Josh

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Can someone clarify some muffler confusion for
Reply #1 - 07/21/12 at 10:28:44

A Harley shorty muffler will be the quietest.. it is only mildly louder than stock... (mostly just deeper in tone), very pleasant..
Any muffler that takes packing,.. will burn and blow out that packing in time... and they are usually louder, because the exhaust is not redirected, but simply flows past the sound absorbing material...
The Harley muffler, redirects exhaust through a baffle chamber, much like the stock muffler...

If you are at an elevation less than 3,000ft,... it will make you leaner, and it would be good to rejet... but, some people don't, and just allow the bike to run lean... Rejet isn't as critical with a Harley muffler, as with some other more free flowing mufflers...
Keeping the stock air filter will help...

... but,... rejetting is not that hard...
If the thought of it is just to intimidating... compromise...
Just putting in a #150 main, will make your engine fairly comfortable with a Harley muffler...
That involves, taking off the float bowl (4 screws), removing the old main (one brass screw), and screwing in the new one...
Ta Da!...

As far as the angled pipe... I've never needed it... and I've done several...
... but,.. if you have any trouble, or aren't to good at finessing things to fit,.. an angled pipe can make it easier...

From what you say, and the results you want,... I wouldn't recommend any other muffler than the Harley...
It will be the quietest, and strongest, and will need the least carb tweaking... (possibly none at all).  Carb adjustments will just give you a bit better performance, and let the engine run a little cooler...

When shopping for a HD mufler... make sure it has not had the center baffle plate drilled or knocked out... ask the seller or look down the pipe and see if you can see light out the other end... it should look solid black.. air is forced around that plate into the outer chamber,.. that's where the noise reduction comes from...

Blah, blah, blah...  I talk a lot... fingers are tired... Huh...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/21/12 at 10:47:49

Hey, I got no problems with a lot of talk-typing, that's sort of what I need as I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I'd really like to keep these 12.5s rather than pay the restocking fee and reshipping fee of this website.  12s would fit exact but I sort of want to replace this muffler anyway...

Gosh to think I was gonna sell this bike a few months ago, now I'm just dumping money into it

I've heard both dyna and shorty.  Are the stock mufflers on the dynas shorty mufflers? Aside from ebay, how do folks get ahold of these?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/21/12 at 10:59:14

Most of the stock Harleys, other than big dressers, use a shorty muffler stock...
E-bay, Craigslist, Harley dealer, custom bike shop, swap meet, bike show...
Often sold in pairs... if you can,.. go ahead and two ... then you have a spare...  
Refuse to pay more than $30...  I get pairs for that... sometimes even free...
I currently only have one spare... so, no.. I ain't sellin' it... Grin...

Quote:
Gosh to think I was gonna sell this bike a few months ago, now I'm just dumping money into it

Once you get yer' muffler and shocks... yer' gonna' fall in love with her and never let her go... Wink...

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/21/12 at 11:10:28

well truth be told i was selling and gonna buy a 250 dual sport.  Gas consumption is sort of a huge thing with me.  The suspension will help quell my dual sport needs, and i just put new tires on this thing so I'm committed to it for at least half their life, but I'm worried that rejetting this thing for a new muffler is gonna ruin the reason I chose it in the first place - decent mpg.  Used to get 65, now its 60, soon I fear I'll be to around the 50mpg mark.

I may try this harley muffler thing with minimal rejetting and see how that goes.  I was also reading about supertrapps and "tuning them to the bike" rather than "tuning the bike to them", but they're in reality probably a little pricey for me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/21/12 at 11:24:39

I have a #150 main, #52.5 pilot, w/ Harley muff and K'n air filter...
I tend to get 58 to 62 mpg...

Most of the mpg change will come from enjoying turning the throttle...
Watch that right wrist...

Before this bike, I had a Yamaha xt225 Serow DP... Nice,... a little low on power for hwy and in traffic..
..  but great on trails, and lazy roads...
Of course,.. I modded the seat, muffler, filter, rejet, fork boots...
Top speed... about 70mph... 75 on a downhill with a tailwind...
MPG's... around 68 to 74...
One note... you'll loose any mpg savings on a DP bike with faster tire wear... DP tires don't last as long... Wink...

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/21/12 at 11:29:54

ps, guess I'll ask this since I've been asked it more than once already, but does it matter what year dyna or what particular model?  I think I may have already found one at a local shop! Have to wait till tues for a price with the owner gets back though :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/21/12 at 11:35:37

Avoid the ones with a crossover pipe... other than that, as far as I know, you can make it work...
You can even work with a crossover type if you're willing to plug it up...

Main thing, if you want easy... rail mount...

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/21/12 at 13:16:51

am i gonna be able to use the clamps off this muffler or do I need to go ahead and be on the lookout for clamps? also is using a tin can pretty standard for shimming?

Josh

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #9 - 07/21/12 at 16:13:38

The Dyna has the 10 degree bend built into the muffler to avoid the brake cable. You can use the rail mont or the side tab mount. top tab mount will not fit.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can someone clarify some muffler confusion for me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.