Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel cut off and sudden power loss (Read 146 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Fuel cut off and sudden power loss
07/19/12 at 16:58:34

2001 Savage w/20k miles. has a Jardin muffler w/baffle drilled. No carb tuning basically straight stock. Coming ho and me she jerked like the fuel just cut out and wouldnt go over 60mph without spittiing and sputtering.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Re: Fuel cut off and sudden power loss
Reply #1 - 07/19/12 at 17:10:29

What the hunk of junk looks like

181885_3596095653378_1041033617_n.jpg
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #2 - 07/19/12 at 17:10:37

I am having an issue sort of like this and I think there may be a problem with the vacuum line when the petcock is in the ON position.

When you are up at those speeds, have you tried flipping it over to PRIMARY and seeing if the issue clears up, if so I think you might be having the same problem I am having.

Probably need a new hose or clips for the vacuum line.

Read more here;
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

After the picture, you see where he's talking about fuel starvation, especially at highway speeds.

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #3 - 07/19/12 at 20:15:38

Ive been through those symptoms twice.. First time it was the petcock failing, second time was three days ago and it ended up being loose terminals on the battery. Both are very easy to fix.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/19/12 at 21:51:28

Mine did that about a week after I bought it. When I figured out it was gas starvation, I put on a Raptor petcock and have had zero gas troubles since. Took me a month of off and on problems before I figured it out. Bear in mind it is a MANUAL petcock. I am so used to manual petcocks that they dont bother me. Yamaha part number is 5LP-24500-01-00. Don't pay over $25 if you can help it. While you're at it put in a fuel filter in new fuel line. hth   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/20/12 at 08:28:19

A new poster, with 20,000 miles.. I have to ask whats the cam chain like..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 07/21/12 at 23:34:41

Any updates, Mr. Orange?

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/12 at 09:32:49

Prev owner already modded tensioner. Rode yesterday on prime still spits on take off. Will break it down today and check for line problems.

OF     Quick question:   Did you block off your vac line as specified in the test here:

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Until you block off the vac line completely you are still letting the vac sucker screw around with your fuel system.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12 at 18:55:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/22/12 at 18:38:57

We may have some unrealistic expectations here that a performance modded Savage won't spit or blap or burble any at all  -- this is a little bit unrealistic.  

A modded Savage is a "messier" sounding bike to some degree.

You can minimize some of this by carefully adjusting your air screw, not for maximum idle speed as is said here on the list in the tuning guides but for MINIMUM nasty noises.

You can always dial some more idle speed with the idle speed screw.  Air screw out as much of the nasty as you can, you do this by starting from full in and adjusting out by half turns -- running it for a few days at each setting so it can blap and burble for you.  This allows you to quickly isolate the approximate turns out zone that is "doing something good" for you.

Then go over the same "good range" by the quarter turn and keep records of the results for each setting -- paper is your friend here.  Some things get better at different air screw turn settings, so you got to pick which mix of sounds you can live with.

You will never get it to run as smooth and as quiet as a super lean stock carb and a very restrictive stock muffler could do.

You can also fiddle with your TEV some, not that it will do you a whole big world of good necessarily.

Example, my bike runs pretty even and quiet compared to many at the Dragon.   But, when I get close to reserve it gets blappy and spits a whole lot more.

Why?   Fuel level in the bowl is slightly different I guess.  

I think with nursing along a bad vac petcock you are living in this same "slightly different fuel level"  zone all the time, up & down, spit and burble and blap.   A Raptor can help with this situation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/24/12 at 17:18:23

update time. I tore everything apart. cleaned carb plus jets. took petcock apart and cleaned it. flushed tank including the lb of rust that came out of it. replaced air filter and fuel filter. new tank of gas. the works. it now runs    
better than it did the day i got it. thanks everyone for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:53:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel cut off and sudden power loss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.