Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EXHAUST HEADER ALIGNMENT?? (Read 174 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

EXHAUST HEADER ALIGNMENT??
07/19/12 at 15:11:54

SO...
I'm getting ready to install the Dyna muffler, but I put the header pipe onto the bike first, and tightened the bolts down just until they were hand-tight to see where the bottom of the pipe lands and check alignment and all that.
It's hard to photograph, but the bottom of the header pipe points clearly inward towards the rear tire. If I fit the muffler on and line it up, it seems that the top end of the pipe will fit into the head of the engine at a slight but noticeable angle. I do have fresh exhaust gaskets, but is this normal? How much room should I have to move it around? How much of a gap will the gasket fill if it isn't aligned perfectly?
I can't imagine that my header pipe is bent; it seems totally undamaged? It just seems odd; maybe I need to fool around with it more to get all the parts to line up??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: EXHAUST HEADER ALIGNMENT??
Reply #1 - 07/19/12 at 16:18:55

Yep - this is a problem when mounting the Dyna Muffler as it does not have a 10 degree bend like the stock muffler.  If you look at the instructions in the Tech Session he cuts slots in the mounting point, and this allows the Dyna muffler to do a bit of adapting to the size and angle of the Savage pipe.  Others have made small adapter pipes to go between the header and the Dyna muffler to allow the 10 degree bend.  One fellow used the Ryca adapter and said it works well.

I tried making a very sanitary tight fitting adapter that would take up the size difference - only to find out that too tight of a fit doesn't allow the Dyna muffler to make the necessary angle change needed.  In my next attempt.....I am going to use a piece of pipe with a 10 degree bend in it - one fellow posted that he found a stainless exhaust tip that was just the right size to fit over the header and into the Dyna Muffler, and that is what I am going to look for and see if I can coax a bend in it.  Or maybe I should just bit the bullet and buy a RYCA adapter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 07/19/12 at 19:12:10

OR what I would try is get a piece of plumbing steel pipe, like 1 1/2" IP and put it in vise. Then clamp the muffler to it and bend the muffler intake outward, like the way the adapter is bent.
If you clamp it down good enough, you should be able to reshape the muffler intake to retain at least a little better angle.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/19/12 at 19:19:32

Dave wrote on 07/19/12 at 16:18:55:
Yep - this is a problem when mounting the Dyna Muffler as it does not have a 10 degree bend like the stock muffler.  If you look at the instructions in the Tech Session he cuts slots in the mounting point, and this allows the Dyna muffler to do a bit of adapting to the size and angle of the Savage pipe.  Others have made small adapter pipes to go between the header and the Dyna muffler to allow the 10 degree bend.  One fellow used the Ryca adapter and said it works well.

I tried making a very sanitary tight fitting adapter that would take up the size difference - only to find out that too tight of a fit doesn't allow the Dyna muffler to make the necessary angle change needed.  In my next attempt.....I am going to use a piece of pipe with a 10 degree bend in it - one fellow posted that he found a stainless exhaust tip that was just the right size to fit over the header and into the Dyna Muffler, and that is what I am going to look for and see if I can coax a bend in it.  Or maybe I should just bit the bullet and buy a RYCA adapter.

I have the Ryca adapter and can say one thing about it,  it definitely puts the straight outlet mufflers at the correct angle but it's a pregnant dog to get it to seal to the header.  I should have slotted the end that goes onto the header before I installed mine but though since it was such a tight fit already that with the clamp it would seal right up but no. I can't get it off now to slot it so I'm thinking about welding it to the header pipe so I can get rid of the leak there.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #4 - 07/19/12 at 20:33:47

I just used the ryca adapter. Worked well. Their clamp sucks tho.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/19/12 at 20:35:48

heroicseven wrote on 07/19/12 at 20:33:47:
I just used the ryca adapter. Worked well. Their clamp sucks tho.

that is true,  that clamp is a joke,  I just don't have any real selection of clamps around me otherwise I'd have already picked one up.  Only thing I've seen around me are similar to what they sell plus the automotive style bolt ones Sad

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #6 - 07/19/12 at 21:05:14

Interesting. I just added a dyna muff and noticed the 10 degree bend, but it was upwards and not inwards. The bend on mine was at the stock muffler neck. I just used a straight section of pipe bumped up to fit the head pipe and dyna muff both very snug. It's a perfect fit goes straight back and sits level.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/20/12 at 07:04:01

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/20/12 at 15:03:47

Thanks guys. I remember reading about the 10 degree bend, but thought that it was just optional; that it helped to get the exhaust off of the rear brake, but I can see in fiddling with mine that it's not optional.
I'm not inclined to pay $45 plus shipping, so I will see about poking around the muffler shops nearby.

I've toyed with the idea of making my own exhaust; something like a shortened drag pipe with an internal baffle, but the math is beyond me, and I doubt I'll get the performance out of it that I want, nor will it look anywhere decent...

Thoughts?

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #9 - 07/20/12 at 19:15:06

The ryca for me was a good buy. I didn't have to deal with the local muff shops. Here in southern cali seem to go for the neck with their quotes. most gave me 50 to 80 dollars to bend a little piece of tubing and weld it to my header. So I opted for ryca. From there tho a straight tube would be cake with a welded or screwed in baffle. I have the dyna muffler.
Just tear down a fence and use the support tubbing for your drag pipe... Tongue

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/20/12 at 23:05:54

I measured the length I needed for my Dyna to clear the rear brake arm and then took the header and muffler to Meineke. the guy made a perfect fitting adapter pipe with the 10 degree bend, for $20. Well worth it, for me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/20/12 at 23:17:08

Heck YEA!, solve a problem like that for a Smoooth Twenty Dollar Bill? Thats a Deal,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/21/12 at 07:11:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/20/12 at 23:17:08:
Heck YEA!, solve a problem like that for a Smoooth Twenty Dollar Bill? Thats a Deal,,

That's what I'm hoping for. The MIDAS I take my car to all the time is walking distance to my house... I'm probably going to head over there on Monday with my parts in hand...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › EXHAUST HEADER ALIGNMENT??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.